+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Traveling with a rebreather?

RBW Member mbelair is an unknown quantity at this point mbelair's Avatar

Question Traveling with a rebreather?

Do any of you take special precautions for traveling, not as far as packing and such but for registering the machine to avoid hassles with the security people.

We will be leaving Canada for Mexico next spring and are just a bit worried by horror stories of rebreathers being seized because they are "Military" equipments.

RBW Member Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles's Avatar

Re: Traveling with a rebreather?

Last July I travelled with my Meg and all my gear from Canada to Cancun, with a couple stops in the US.

Very PITA.

Make sure that you have something like 4 hours between any connections.

My passport if filled with stamps from Brunei/Malaysia/Indonesia, etc and I was ineterrogated a couple times, delaying picking up of gear from the baggage carousel, then it getting confiscated as unaccompanied baggage, then needing inspection from a special agricultural inspector, who was away on his lunch break.....then finally starting the normal TSA inspection, blah, blah, blah.....

The privilege of traveling to the US, you can have it. (No offence)

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gilles  View Original Post
    The privilege of traveling to the US, you can have it. (No offence)
    It used to be great having an US connection as part of your itinerary since it meant more luggage allowance (i.e. 2 x 70-lb bags) so I could bring/buy more dive gears.

But now, with the reduced luggage allowance (for tourist class) and hassles from TSA, it is a debate if I just save my sanity and just courier them.

RBW Member Shawn has a spectacular aura about Shawn has a spectacular aura about Shawn has a spectacular aura about Shawn has a spectacular aura about Shawn has a spectacular aura about Shawn's Avatar

I would like to hear more on this subject from those who have traveled from within the US....

Friday I plan on catching a flight from KC to Chicago with my head and plenum, and than back to KC Saturday. The last thing I need is for my Meg to get siezed for some Dumb a$$ reason...

Any advise on this would be great!!!

Thanks

Randy Thornton Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict's Avatar
    Hammerhead Sentinel Evolution

Optima Inspiration Prism 2

I have flown dozens of times across the US, out of the US and into the US with multiple different types of breathers. I have never had a single problem. The one thing I usually do if possible, is to ask to stand there while they check my baggage so that I can answer any questions they might have. If that is not convenient, I will leave a note on top of my breather telling them what it is, my name, and to page me if they have any questions. Sometimes the gear is turned upside down, but I have never had it not show, miss the flight, or go missing. Obviously, don't put any locks on the crate.

Regards,
    Randy

Banned - Threat of Litigation AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9's Avatar

In kit that we took to DEMA (350kg of it split across three people, all as baggage - no excess charges coming back: print out the "diving equipment" pages from their web sites), the only problem was the TSA. But there are worse ...

A brand new 30" nice Apple monitor (for exhibitions) in a original packaging was removed from its packing by the TSA and badly damaged: clearly not damage in transit, only damage on the TSA desk with a very heavy score on the top of it.

A camera system was stolen from the baggage on the way in. Shipped in aluminium trunks, secured with cable ties so TSA can open it, TSA put new ties on it fixing the lock completely open so lid was just flapping open. The brains in the TSA can't even work a cable tie, so the US defined "terrorist" is clearly not going to have any problems at all.

Carrying on a rebreather, even a commercial rebreather, was not a problem. 25kg in carry on. Just keep a few diving pictures with you and they are all fine.

However, TSA are far better than security at Amsterdam. Chap in front at Amsterdam last week made a polite comment that "Not a very good place this for elderly people: nowhere to sit to put shoes back on." got met with Amsterdam security response "Shut up and get on the fcuking plane". Elderly passenger behind me complained about their language so they threatened the chap with being a terrorist, then when I butted in and told them I would go to the police if they try that on him, they changed tack to one that we three would have to wait so the complaint could be checked and miss our planes (last of the day). Told them where to go and got on the plane anyway (they are not too good at blocking people). None of the security thugs at Amsterdam carry any names or ID numbers, not even supervisors (only a picture on their badge). They can fondle what they like, take anything they like, do anything they like and no comeback. Jobs for bullies and sexual deviants have never been better - join the security service at Amsterdam! At least it might put them all in one place, so we can use another airport.

Alex

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

The last time I flew from the US with the Meg was last November.

I had 2 cans (full, mini), 4 scrubber inserts (2 axial, 2 radials) and 1 head all packed inside 2 pieces of checked luggage.

I printed out the ISC website pages showing that it is a scuba diving equipment, and placed on top of the equipment inside the luggage.

No problem encountered...

RBW Member Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles's Avatar

Your fate is made more simple if you're carrying an American passport. My problems were a result of poorly coordinated scrutiny process.

I guess the staff at Minneapolis and Memphis don't get too many foreign globetrotters, carrying nearly 50Kg of gear. I certainly have visas and other stamps of countries on the "watchlist".

RBW Member Shawn has a spectacular aura about Shawn has a spectacular aura about Shawn has a spectacular aura about Shawn has a spectacular aura about Shawn has a spectacular aura about Shawn's Avatar

Thanks for the replies everyone, this take a lot of the worry off of me...

I plan on taking my Meg via carry on with just the head, hose, and plenum...

RBW Member mbelair is an unknown quantity at this point mbelair's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn  View Original Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone, this take a lot of the worry off of me...

I plan on taking my Meg via carry on with just the head, hose, and plenum...
    Let us now how things go.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast