+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Way to Go Aussies!

  1. #1
    Richie Burr diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dover, DE
    Posts
    1,487
    O2ptima FX

    Way to Go Aussies!

    Hopefully the rest of the World can follow your example....

    Japan To Kill 50 Humpbacks.... They are at it again!

    They need to be stopped!!!!

    Richie



    Political Victory for the Whales





    The Labor Party of Australia has won the election and they have won by a landslide and this could be wonderful news for the whales ofAntarctica.


    Why?

    Because Peter Garrett, two weeks ago as the former Shadow Minister for the Environment said that his government if elected would send a naval vessel to the Southern Oceans to monitor the Japanese whaling fleet. Mr. Garrett also promised to take a much more aggressive position against Japanese whaling activities.

    The former Liberal government were outspoken against whaling but did very little to actually stop the Japanese from continuing with their illegal activity.

    Hundreds of people have notified the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society that they voted Labor because of the threat to the whales. Labor now has the opportunity to demonstrate that they will be a government of their word.

    The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society expects to see an Australian Naval vessel dogging the pirate Japanese whaling fleet this year. Australians are incensed that Japan is targeting endangered humpback whales.

    "What Japan is doing is deliberately insulting Australians by saying we are going to kill humpbacks, we may even kill Migaloo and there is not a thing that you can do about it because your government does not have the guts to stop us," said Captain Paul Watson.


    Also from BBC:

    Japanese whalers hunt humpbacks

    Environmentalists have clashed with the crew of Nisshin Maru before


    A Japanese whaling fleet has set sail aiming to harpoon humpback whales for the first time in decades.


    The fleet is conducting its largest hunt in the South Pacific - it has instructions to kill up to 1,000 whales, including 50 humpbacks.
    The humpback hunt is the first since a mid-1960s global ban and has drawn strong protests from environmentalists.
    Commercial whaling was stopped in 1986 but Japan is permitted whaling in the name of scientific research.


    Four whaling ships, including the lead craft Nisshin Maru, set off from the southern port of Shimonoseki on Sunday.


    The 239-man mission plans to kill more than 900 minke whales as well as fin whales and humpbacks, in a South Pacific whale hunt that will run until mid-April.


    The 8,000-metric ton Nisshin Maru was crippled by a fire on a whaling mission in the Antarctic in March. One crew member was killed.
    A Greenpeace campaign ship will be following the Japanese fleet.

    Sensitive mammals
    Tokyo's plan to target the humpback - which was hunted to near extinction four decades ago - has drawn condemnation from environmentalists.


    "Humpbacks are very sensitive and live in close-knit pods so even one death can be extremely damaging," Greenpeace spokesman Junichi Sato said.


    Japanese fisheries officials insist both humpback and fin populations are back to sustainable levels.


    "Humpback whales in our research area are rapidly recovering," said fisheries spokesman Hideki Moronuki.


    "Taking 50 humpbacks from a population of tens of thousands will have no significant impact whatsoever."


    Mr Moronuki said killing whales allowed marine biologists to study their internal organs.


    Meat from Japan's scientific catch is sold commercially but Japanese officials deny that the mission plans to make a profit.


    Tokyo argues that whaling is an ancient Japanese tradition, and has pushed unsuccessfully at the International Whaling Commission to reverse the 1986 moratorium on commercial whaling.


    Environmentalists say Japan's research programme is a pretext for keeping the whaling industry alive.

  2. #2
    Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Deerfield_Beach, Florida
    Posts
    4,018
    rEvo

    Defender Optima Dolphin

    Re: Way to Go Aussies!

    I know that what I am about to say is not politically correct, but F**K IT.

    This is the kind of thing that makes me want to nuke the Japaneese again!
    .
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing





    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

  3. #3
    Ladies bring a plate Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Perth - Australia
    Posts
    1,220

    Re: Way to Go Aussies!

    Call me a cynic but it smacks of pre election speak. I seriously doubt that we will send a vessel to international waters to watch someone fish. What would be the point?

    All we can really do is complain about it some more and ban the whaling fleet from our ports.
    WARNING: I contain occasional coarse language, extreme sexual references, nudity, and adult themes, which may offend some people - Usually churchy types.

  4. #4
    No Viz is BAD Viz almity1 has a spectacular aura about almity1 has a spectacular aura about almity1 has a spectacular aura about almity1 has a spectacular aura about almity1 has a spectacular aura about almity1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    178

    Re: Way to Go Aussies!

    Agreed Richie

    Unfortunately some of us aussies do not share the same view.....

    You will see what I mean when you read between the threads

    Dive-Oz Discussion Forums - Will Migaloo survive the Antarctic killing spree??

  5. #5
    Nutty dentist - uwdriller divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    800
    homebuilder

    rEvo powered inspo

    Re: Way to Go Aussies!

    the bizar thing is that all japanese i met don't eat whalemeat - agreeable they are all of the younger generation.

    But it makes me wonder if it is just a f@#cked up upper class who wants to eat whalemeat.

    And I agree these guys need another hole in their heads urgently, actually would volunteer to drill one .

  6. #6
    TITAN-ITE grandizer52 will become famous soon enough grandizer52 will become famous soon enough grandizer52 will become famous soon enough grandizer52's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    pearl city hawaii EARTH moving to Iscandar
    Posts
    353

    Re: Way to Go Aussies!

    My wifes from Osaka, she said they use to feed them whale in elementary school, but not high school ,cause kids needed the fat. but they stopped cause the side effects being seen in states with a lower fat but still bad diets. Now, noone really eats it anymore, they try to pull the scientific research card Bull-S +h)i&t!!!!! not to mention in 99 the crew of the Nissin were pulling pregnant mothers from the sea. being in the navy I don't care for some of the enviromental watch dogs, but this is just stupid....Nuking is not the answer but a spread of torps would be
    off the soap box
    laytah
    steve

  7. #7
    Nicholas Smith Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    673
    Megalodon

    Re: Way to Go Aussies!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    This is the kind of thing that makes me want to nuke the Japaneese again!
    Threats to commit mass murder seem somehow out of place on a website commited to saving lives.

    I happen to have a book right next to me that shows US whale oil production having peaked at 10.5 million gallons/yr. That does not include the sperm oil production peaking at 5.5 million US gallons. The source is the US Bureau of the Census. The conclusion seems inescapable: whales are rare primarily because Americans made them so. I am told that the US still takes 50 bowhead whales even now. It was an American that opened up Japan to the outside world: Commodore Perry. Did they teach you at school that one reason he was there was to obtain a base for American whaling in the NW Pacific? You can argue whether the Japanese are slowing the rebound in the global whale population, but they didn't cause the problem in the first place. I don't mean to criticise the US but merely to question your right to throw the first stone.

    Quote Originally Posted by divelermentov  View Original Post
    the bizar thing is that all japanese i met don't eat whalemeat - agreeable they are all of the younger generation.

    But it makes me wonder if it is just a f@#cked up upper class who wants to eat whalemeat.
    Whale is rather unpleasant eating. Japanese upper and middle classes despised it, and the poorest of the poor ate it because they had nothing else. In the first few years of the American occupation after the war, the occupying forces deliberately caused the Japanese to starve (Prof. Dower, "Embracing Defeat"). Older Japanese can recall having been forced to eat whale then, out of desperation, and they hate it with a vengeance. The main use for whale meat that comes from Japan's 'scientific whaling' is school meals. You can imagine that the kids don't much like it, but someone up top decided that it's part of their education. The meat needs to go to schools because there isn't enough demand from the private sector to use all the whalemeat brought in by the fleet. You're right it's a class issue, just not the kind you think.

    If whales went extinct it would be a tragedy. Not all species are threatened. And I'm really not convinced it's an issue worth commiting genocide over.

  8. #8
    Custom Title Allowed! Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Northants.
    Posts
    1,529

    Re: Way to Go Aussies!

    Quote Originally Posted by Abbo  View Original Post
    I am told that the US still takes 50 bowhead whales even now.
    I think that is because of the Eskimo/Inuit hunting traditions in the far North, and is done with small boats and hand harpoons rather than on an industrial scale.

    Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman had it right in "Good Omens", and I paraphrase:

    "The Japanese ship was engaged in whaling for scientific research, ie studying how many whales a ship could harpoon per week".

  9. #9
    Nutty dentist - uwdriller divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    800
    homebuilder

    rEvo powered inspo

    Re: Way to Go Aussies!

    Quote Originally Posted by Abbo  View Original Post

    Whale is rather unpleasant eating. Japanese upper and middle classes despised it, and the poorest of the poor ate it because they had nothing else. In the first few years of the American occupation after the war, the occupying forces deliberately caused the Japanese to starve (Prof. Dower, "Embracing Defeat"). Older Japanese can recall having been forced to eat whale then, out of desperation, and they hate it with a vengeance. The main use for whale meat that comes from Japan's 'scientific whaling' is school meals. You can imagine that the kids don't much like it, but someone up top decided that it's part of their education. The meat needs to go to schools because there isn't enough demand from the private sector to use all the whalemeat brought in by the fleet. You're right it's a class issue, just not the kind you think.

    If whales went extinct it would be a tragedy. Not all species are threatened. And I'm really not convinced it's an issue worth commiting genocide over.
    thanks for your post - that is quite interesting, I always assumed that whale meat was a delicatese in japan - my apologize.

    So what is the actual driving force behind the whaling than ?
    - gives your guys a bad reputation
    - tastes grap

    well would it be logical not to do it ? Or do i miss something ?

    cheers
    christian

  10. #10
    Nicholas Smith Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    673
    Megalodon

    Re: Way to Go Aussies!

    Quote Originally Posted by divelermentov  View Original Post
    thanks for your post - that is quite interesting, I always assumed that whale meat was a delicatese in japan - my apologize.

    So what is the actual driving force behind the whaling than ?
    - gives your guys a bad reputation
    - tastes grap

    well would it be logical not to do it ? Or do i miss something ?

    cheers
    christian
    Christian,
    My motivation for writing was not to defend whaling, but to protest a fervent belief that God does not colour-code people. The Japanese are not my people, but they are my children's people, and with two of them in England at the moment I am a little unnerved by the repugnant vitriol being cast at the Japanese.

    The Japanese do not want to make whales extinct: they want to eat them. The idea of eating these magnificent beasts may seem repellant to you - as does eating a cow to a Hindu. If the threat of extinction is removed, this becomes a cultural argument. A vegetarian might argue that all meat eating is wrong, but for the rest of us, there is no hierarchy of sin: the cow in your freezer pack didn't want to die for your table any more than the whale did. Permit me to pr!ck your Disneyfied bubbles by reminding you that most wild animals die from grinding hunger or from being eaten alive: they don't die in their dotage with their slippers on.

    Japanese people have eaten whales for all recorded history. Their culture is there not to make an exotic theme park for camera-toting foreigners, but because it is a part of their souls. Other cultures that eat whales include the Norwegians, the Icelanders and the Americans. And to those who say 'no, those are Eskimos' it does you no honour to deny their citizenship when it suits your argument. Very few Japanese eat whale, but in a recent Nikkei poll, 70% of Japanese defended the right of others to eat it ("I don't agree with you but I'll die defending your right to speak").

    To those Discovery Channel explorers who believe that whale meat is a delicacy in Japan, I can tell you it is eaten by the poor and the uneducated. Japanese politicians are neither, but they feel a duty to protect such people in a way not felt by Western politicians. The disparities of wealth and education that exist in the West simply would not be tolerated in Japan.

    As you say, arguments about whaling do Japan no favours, but if they allow blinkered Westerners to learn to see the world through other people's eyes they will serve a purpose.
    Last edited by Abbo; 30th November 2007 at 02:53. Reason: The verb to pr!ck seems to be politically incorrect...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts