+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: North Sea Diving off Netherlands

RBW Member Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles's Avatar

North Sea Diving off Netherlands

After 7 years of tropical climes, looks like I'll be moving to sunny and spacious Holland.

Any Dutchmen/ladies on the forum who can advise how I can continue to nurture and develop my tech diving interest, assuming I reside somewhere in/near Den Haag?

Custom Title Allowed! Doorduijn, Niels is on a distinguished road Doorduijn, Niels is on a distinguished road Doorduijn, Niels's Avatar

Re: North Sea Diving off Netherlands

Gilles,

Quote Originally Posted by Gilles  View Original Post
    how I can continue to nurture and develop my tech diving interest, assuming I reside somewhere in/near Den Haag?
    You travel to other countries.....
    There are no caves in the Netherlands and there are one or two places where it gets to 50m, but those are only uselful for training purposes as there is nothing to see. At the Northsea, you will eventually reach nice wrecks at 45 or even 60 meters but that is far out of the coast.
    There is a large lake in Oostvoorne (max 42m) and one in Vinkenveen (max 50), which give you ample room to play and practice, and obviously there are a lot of other locations (Beldert and Groene heuvels).

If you are here, send me an email and we can get to dive somewhere.

Rgs,

Niels

Holiday diver denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel's Avatar

Gilles,

What Niels said.
    Pack your divegear, hop on the train to Schiphol, jump on a plane to Egypt and dive your heart out!

Denz.

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

From my experience of living in Belgium for 4 years, I vaguely remember these dives (in order of driving distance from Den Haag):
    • Dive in ocean, off the shore of Holland along the dykes of an u/w protected area. Shallow, max 40-50m, strong but predictable tidal current. Do not catch any of the lobsters while diving...
    • Dive in freshwater lakes in Holland. Real shallow, boring, nothing to see...
    • Dive in freshwater lakes in Belgium. Same thing...
    • Dive in freshwater quarries in Belgium. Some went as deep as 70+m, but most of those were closed down. Some to 50+m are still open, but most of them are in southern Belgium which means a 2-3 hour drive...
    • Dive in freshwater lakes in Germany. Some next to dams so see old u/w villages, boring. Some lakes very far away, but also go very deep...
    • Dive in freshwater caves in Belgium. Got to know the right people to take you, very cliquish mentality...
    • Dive in freshwater caves in France. Lots of caves, many easy access, visibility depends on current rain condition...
    • Dive in ocean in southern coast of France, Cote D'Azur area. Re-define the term "cattle-driving" dive boats in Summer. Old mentality: deep air, multiple thich wetsuit in coldwater, require CMAS cert... Excellent food and wine.
    • Dive in the ocean in northwest coast of Italy, huge wreck (Haven). Crap dive operators, same old mentality as the French. Excellent food and wine, except better looking women...
    • Dive in ocean on West coast of Croatia. Very nice secluded diving, nice people, nice food, no fish but nice dive sites. Long drive...
    • Dive in UK... Go north to Scapa Flow, Oakney, and see the scuttled German fleet. Horrible food, beer ok, excellent whisky.
    • Dive in UK... Go west to Sound of Mull and see lots of nice wrecks fairly shallow (50'ish meter). Better food, same beer and excellent whisky.
    • Dive in UK... Go south to Portland, etc. and see lots of wrecks in all depth ranges. The deep ones require a long ride in very nice boats with hydraulic lifts, drift deco, etc. Better food, same beer, no whisky... :)

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Any Dutchmen/ladies on the forum who can advise how I can continue to nurture and develop my tech diving interest, assuming I reside somewhere in/near Den Haag?
    Drysuit..hood...gloves

Custom Title Allowed! Doorduijn, Niels is on a distinguished road Doorduijn, Niels is on a distinguished road Doorduijn, Niels's Avatar

But hey, let none of that discourage you from diving over here!

Steve C UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie  View Original Post
    Dive in UK... Go south to Portland, etc. and see lots of wrecks in all depth ranges. The deep ones require a long ride in very nice boats with hydraulic lifts, drift deco, etc. Better food, same beer, no whisky... :)
    Gilles,

Hey ...sorry to hear you are leaving Miri.. but I can see Portland from ny house (just!!) and walk 10m and can touch the dive boats that go out to the wrecks in the area. Let me know when you reach Netherlands (you working in Rijswijk?).

Steve

RBW Member Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy's Avatar

[quote=decoweenie;153038Dive in UK...
    [/quote]

You can even do that from Holland. Take a trip on the blue whale. It is a very fast boat capable of reaching WWI and WWII wrecks.

RBW Member Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UKSteve  View Original Post
    Gilles,

Hey ...sorry to hear you are leaving Miri.. but I can see Portland from ny house (just!!) and walk 10m and can touch the dive boats that go out to the wrecks in the area. Let me know when you reach Netherlands (you working in Rijswijk?).

Steve
    Thanks Steve. I'll keep that in mind. Looks like its going to be Rijswyck.

It is my ambition to learn and experience the wrecks and conditions you have up there in the UK.

I've never been in cold water before, so there is thus some new gear and more training for me on the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie  View Original Post
    From my experience of living in Belgium for 4 years, I vaguely remember these dives (in order of driving distance from Den Haag):
    This is more encouraging. Thanks for the effort of writing all that down, and be greened.

Quote Originally Posted by Doorduijn, Niels  View Original Post
    Gilles,

If you are here, send me an email and we can get to dive somewhere.

Rgs,

Niels
    Niels;

Met dank for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchy  View Original Post
    You can even do that from Holland. Take a trip on the blue whale. It is a very fast boat capable of reaching WWI and WWII wrecks.
    I really appreciate the info and will seek to estblish contact if/when this huge move and change for my family and I take place.

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

This is more encouraging. Thanks for the effort of writing all that down, and be greened.
    Gilles,

Not a problem. I move around a lot too and also depend on the assistance of local divers to help when getting to a new place as I know it could be difficult - some places more than others. So I try to help out as much as I need help.

I still keep in touch with friends in the area (Holland, Belgium) if you need more help, or just need buddies to go diving somewhere you haven't been before around Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and France. Just let me know...

Plus, it was nice reminiscing about the diving done... :)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast