+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Two MN Divers make Lk Michigan History

RBW Member aknelson is a jewel in the rough aknelson is a jewel in the rough aknelson is a jewel in the rough aknelson is a jewel in the rough aknelson is a jewel in the rough aknelson is a jewel in the rough aknelson is a jewel in the rough aknelson's Avatar
    Boris, Sentinel

Dolphin

Re: Two MN Divers make Lk Michigan History

John,
    Thanks for the additional information.
    Great work done by the team.

Andreas

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by John J  View Original Post
    I rarely post to any of the diving forums, but I have to express my thanks to the people that helped us.

A lot of detail was cut from the article and unfortunately, the names of others that were integral to this work were not published. I have no control over the writing or editing of any newspaper.

The following people were critical to our success.

Alan Williams-underwater videography and assistance with underwater operations. Alan is an amazing diver. I have learned a great deal by just watching him dive and his incredible ability with a camera is self evident. Alan did the same dives as us but without a suit heater, so he's one tuff dude if you ask me.

Greg Such-Charter Captain and surface support/shallow diving support. Greg worked harder than all of us shuttling equipment around, dealing with lines, stage bottles, the boat and getting knocked around by the waves while we were diving.

Doug Bell-Shallow/surface support, shuttling equipment back and fourth. Doug did some heroic diving in high waves and strong current to get the mooring attached to the boat and get equpiment in place on the line for us. John and I were amazed by his perfomance in the rotten conditions we sometimes had and if he hadn't been there, I don't think we could have done it.

Will Phillips-Shallow/surface support, shuttling equipment back and fourth. Will is also a Physician, which was nice to have on board in case we needed him for that. Will really worked hard and was critical to getting the memorial bell in place.

Zach Demorest-Diver from 2006 where bell removal planning and initial work began. Zach is a good friend and a rock solid diver. He is the diver swimming past the Bradley's huge rudder in the 2006 video.

Regardless of what the newspaper says, this was a team effort.
    Yes, Welcome John.
    Thanks for giving credit to those involved and letting us know who they were. Good job Guys!
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by vidodivr  View Original Post
    I grew up in Rogers City and had relatives die on the Bradley, my grandfather was supposed to be on it when it went down and have mixed feelings about the bell retrieval. Many people in town will be glad to have it at the museum though. I will still go down and see her some day in person for sure and it will be kinda cool to see the memorial bell there. Great feat for the divers though, nice job.

I am sorry about your loss and consequental mixed feelings, but it should offer some relief to know that the effort was put it to replace the bell with a substitute rather than just pillaging the site. I hope that you make the dive one day!
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    I am sorry about your loss and consequental mixed feelings, but it should offer some relief to know that the effort was put it to replace the bell with a substitute rather than just pillaging the site. I hope that you make the dive one day!

Cheboygan Tribune

RBW Member Alan is an unknown quantity at this point Alan's Avatar
    SF2

Ouroboros, Draeger

Rob (Vidodivr),
    I can assure you the bell project was undertaken with the upmost respect & reverance for the lost crewmen. All other dive plans were on hold until the new bell was in place and the entire team was more stressed about doing it correctly than the logistics of the dive itself! Great care was taken to replicate the original and leave a permanant memorial. The last sight I remember as we started our ascent was looking back to the Bradley's pilot house (a rare look outside the camera monitor!) and seeing the bell blasting a golden light over what had been a dark & forbiding environment! Here is a photo of the both bells but you need to see the memorial for yourself (underwater) to fully appreciate the sight. I can't help but believe the crew and families would approve.
    Sincerely,
    Alan
    Attached Images

Randy Thornton Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict's Avatar
    Hammerhead Sentinel Evolution

Optima Inspiration Prism 2

Dear Alan and others,

Nice job on the memorial. This was a very classy act of service. You should be proud of your envolvement.

Regards,
    Randy

swims in fishes toilets vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr's Avatar

I really have no doubt in your guys intentions and think you did a splendid job, thanks for posting the photo and all the work you are doing with the museum, it will bring a lot of peace to the many people affected by not just the Bradley, but all the modern Great Lakes Shipwrecks. The new bell is awesome and I look forward to seeing it someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan  View Original Post
    Rob (Vidodivr),
    I can assure you the bell project was undertaken with the upmost respect & reverance for the lost crewmen. All other dive plans were on hold until the new bell was in place and the entire team was more stressed about doing it correctly than the logistics of the dive itself! Great care was taken to replicate the original and leave a permanant memorial. The last sight I remember as we started our ascent was looking back to the Bradley's pilot house (a rare look outside the camera monitor!) and seeing the bell blasting a golden light over what had been a dark & forbiding environment! Here is a photo of the both bells but you need to see the memorial for yourself (underwater) to fully appreciate the sight. I can't help but believe the crew and families would approve.
    Sincerely,
    Alan

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mixaddict  View Original Post
    This was a very classy act of service. You should be proud of your envolvement.
    Second that sentiment...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2