+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: looking for info

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Field

Same for a classic Inspiration... "What this I see? That poor chap's still got one of those rebreathers with the two massive bricks dangling off the front, golly what a blast from the past"
    Well, if you have an old classic Inspiration with bricks you can always say that you have an Ouroboros at home, just for special dives. But if you have something else e.g. Voyager you will always be in the memory of everyone as the poor chap that started with it because he can't afford something better.:D :D

PS: I've not also an YBOD (for the moment).

Nad

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nad
    Ah ah ah, maybe together with some dozen of rares bottles of Bordeaux??:D
    I think I could afford the Boris, but not the rare Bordeaux...

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar
    Yes.... but its like admitting you own a Porsche Boxster... everyone is happy for you but deep down we all know it means you couldn't afford a 911
    ... but it is still a Porsche nevertheless to the Hyundai crowd...

It is not what you drive with, but how you drive... Most Porsche owners are old geezers anyway...
    ...guess I now have to do 2 + 3 + crossover!! Should be able to brush that off in a week? HA HA
    You don't scare me... ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike

So, three years from the point where I was ready for OC trimix, I still don't have a trimix cert. In that time I've missed some great dives that I would have been comfortable doing OC, and really haven't progressed much towards the dives I want to do. I have gained a lot of experience on air down to ~60m though, not sure if that is a good thing or not.

If I had my time again, I would have done a OC trimix course three years ago, and spent the time in between gaining experience at depth (and doing the dives I wanted to do). Even now, I could be doing the odd OC deep dive, while gaining experience on the rebreather in the shallows. Would have been a much better solution.

Mike
    I think your post is a great counterpoint to my experience, it sounds like a problem a lot of people face when they have spent a long time diving doubles, or as I had foolishly done, getting an scr cert a few years before going ccr.

I suspect if you had gone forward with the rebreather full force you would have knocked down the hours a little more quickly. Once CCR certified I have only dived rebreathers, lucky enough to knock down close to 100 hours on the rig in the first year and went straight to full mix cert exactly a year later from one Innerspace event to the next. It seemed to me the bigger risk was not doing mix soon enough! Once on the breather the inclination to be doing longer and deeper dives comes a little too easily.

I had spent the year before getting my basic ccr, diving o/c mostly in the 130-185 range on air - YUK! The little I remember of those dives made me feel comfortable for the bail-out and gas planning issues for the rebreather. Buying one and delivery times is whole other mess but there are several that one can plunk down a deposit and get a rig fairly quickly...certainly second hand stuff seems to trade frequently these days.

Perhaps the biggest plus to having the o/c mix ticket would be for destinations where the logistics of sorb and gas don't work out - or the loss of a unit. I would be ok diving o/c mix from my ccr training but I'm not sure an operator would let me, I guess it depends upon the circumstance. It just seems safer diving with mix if you are going to do anything around 150' or deeper and if you are diving those depths a rebreather sure makes life easier.

Doug

New Member scubapolly is an unknown quantity at this point scubapolly's Avatar
    Thanks for the response guys. From most of the posts, it sounds like there are definatly pros and cons of doing OC trimix before CCR trimix. Sounds like I need to really think about the logistics of what kind of diving I am going to be doing over the next year or so, and figure out which will work best for ME.

Seriously Mike, a year to get your unit?

I currently dive doubles that when added to the rest of my bottles and gear weigh more than I do, so that is definatly one plus I see to going CCR instead of OC for the trimix.

Rob, thanks for the advice on the book. Looks like a must read before I jump into this training.

Polly

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie
    Can you sit down, take a deep breath and repeat after me slowly...

"I am going to have more than 1 unit!"

There you go!

He he :D Write that one down folks! :D

Administrator ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE's Avatar
    <sits in corner and rocks back and forth like a Romanian orphan>

Ben,

Look at it this way. If you go with the flow, you can (1) drink some good wine, (2) have fun on a dive course in beautiful, warm water, (3) drink some good wine, and, best of all, be known as a connoisseur and collector of wines and rebreathers, just like Phi. (Did I mention you can drink some good wine?)

Besides, as Phi has said: "Resistance is futile. You will be Assimilated!! "

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4