Closed Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Attention!!! AI O2 Sensor Recall

CCR Instructor devilgas is an unknown quantity at this point devilgas's Avatar

Re: Attention!!! AI O2 Sensor Recall

I have had nothing but bad cells from AI all this year.

Every set of 3, only 1 works, after geting replacments from AI, the cells MAY work for 2 to 3 dives, then loose power.

I have had to replace the AI cells while abroad with the R22D's from an Inspiration to finish up a course. They work just fine, a bit too much mv maybe, but noone ever died from too much gas, so too mmany Mv seems to keep working.

I just had a diver in town last week with his new unit, 1 of the 3 cells bad, luckily I had 1 spare that came up to power.

I now have a nice collection to retun back to AI.

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by schford  View Original Post
    Just thinking this through - I am guessing if a product has its own forum then the appropriate place would be there to post though for general tips and tricks that could then be made sticky? Although I guess they could post any where and the staff team coudl move as appropriate.
    i would suggest a forum where mnf only could post - not a place where they could be pulled into time consuming or sometimes confrontational debates. just a notice board if you like

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike  View Original Post
    i would suggest a forum where mnf only could post - not a place where they could be pulled into time consuming or sometimes confrontational debates. just a notice board if you like
    Got it - I agree and will set it up so only people in a group called Manufacturer can post into it.

RBW Member lancsman is on a distinguished road lancsman is on a distinguished road lancsman's Avatar

Just got my email from RBWS offering replacement cells. Thanks for the quick service.

Mark

Old, maybe one day wise Tino de Rijk has a reputation beyond repute Tino de Rijk has a reputation beyond repute Tino de Rijk has a reputation beyond repute Tino de Rijk has a reputation beyond repute Tino de Rijk has a reputation beyond repute Tino de Rijk has a reputation beyond repute Tino de Rijk has a reputation beyond repute Tino de Rijk has a reputation beyond repute Tino de Rijk has a reputation beyond repute Tino de Rijk has a reputation beyond repute Tino de Rijk has a reputation beyond repute Tino de Rijk's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Inspo Classic, Dolphin, Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Sutty  View Original Post
    The trouble with having cells individually tested by a reseller is that it requires the package to be broken, and therefore no longer stored in an inert atmosphere unless the resellers can set this up. The shelf life is therefore reduced, which may be an issue for "spare" cells.
    What we really need is cells that are all individually tested by the manufacturer prior to sealing/sale. I'm assuming this doesn't happen already. Personally I would pay a premium for such cells.
    This in unfortunately an old fable that stubbornly sticks around. It is not necesary at all to store it in an inert atmosphere - as long as you store it in a small sealed (airtight) bag. The cell will then just use the very little bit of O2 in the bag - and that's it. APD re-seals the cells after testing in a new small bag. That's good enough.
    In fact, there is at least one manufacturer here on RBW that says that storing them in a sealed bag doesn't make any difference anyway in terms of overall lifetime. I forgot which one; I thought the guys from Innerspace..? Too lazy to find out.

Look at it this way: if you seal it in a small bag with air, and the cell uses up the remaining O2 in it, it is effectively stored in inert gas, called nitrogen....

ciao,

Tino.

Classic Kiss diver Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty's Avatar
    Classic Kiss 165

Quote Originally Posted by Tino de Rijk  View Original Post
    This in unfortunately an old fable that stubbornly sticks around. It is not necesary at all to store it in an inert atmosphere - as long as you store it in a small sealed (airtight) bag. The cell will then just use the very little bit of O2 in the bag - and that's it. APD re-seals the cells after testing in a new small bag. That's good enough.
    In fact, there is at least one manufacturer here on RBW that says that storing them in a sealed bag doesn't make any difference anyway in terms of overall lifetime. I forgot which one; I thought the guys from Innerspace..? Too lazy to find out.

Look at it this way: if you seal it in a small bag with air, and the cell uses up the remaining O2 in it, it is effectively stored in inert gas, called nitrogen....

ciao,

Tino.
    Only true as long as you can re-seal in something impermeable to O2 like the original bag. Most plastics are permeable to some degree, which is why some drug infusions are in glass rather than plastics. How much such permeability matters for our purposes I have no idea.

RBW Member dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutty  View Original Post
    The trouble with having cells individually tested by a reseller is that it requires the package to be broken, and therefore no longer stored in an inert atmosphere unless the resellers can set this up. The shelf life is therefore reduced, which may be an issue for "spare" cells.
    What we really need is cells that are all individually tested by the manufacturer prior to sealing/sale. I'm assuming this doesn't happen already. Personally I would pay a premium for such cells.
    Yes the manufacturer should test them but they dont Ambient pressure do though thats why I will always buy my cells from them as the test every one they sell. Martin once told be they refused a whole batch due to some problems, and quite regularly they would send a load back. I think its due to this attitude that Teledyne upped their game somewhat.

Yes AP do have to open the bag and reseal after testing but the cells will soon sleep again (by the way its not a good idea to keep doing this to a cell) and I would much rather know they are tested than worry about the resealing of the bag. Dr Mike and I have crossed swords before over this cell changing regime but I change all my cells together (unless one dies premature) because I buy them from Martin in the knowledge they have been tested and If I wanted to buy from a different batch I MAY have to buy elsewhere which I dont want to do. Having said that the cells from Martin are not on his shelve for very long so you (almost)always get young cells. He doesnt catch all the dud ones but its very rare for me to have a cell die young :))

Dave

Head Dishwasher
    Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey's Avatar
    Meg-Pathfinder-Evo +

Quote Originally Posted by Tino de Rijk  View Original Post

ciao,

Tino.
    the best explantion of cell life based on storage method is in the Hammer Head manual. LMAO when I read it.

MixedGas gathan has a spectacular aura about gathan has a spectacular aura about gathan has a spectacular aura about gathan has a spectacular aura about gathan has a spectacular aura about gathan has a spectacular aura about gathan's Avatar

Any possibility for RBW store to start stocking the teledyne cells in the future...

I've had nothing but problems with the AIs since I started using them.

Andre

Helium is addictive! Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dave t  View Original Post
    Yes the manufacturer should test them but they dont Ambient pressure do though thats why I will always buy my cells from them as the test every one they sell. Martin once told be they refused a whole batch due to some problems, and quite regularly they would send a load back. I think its due to this attitude that Teledyne upped their game somewhat.
    Dave

Do you or anyone else perhaps know how AP test their cells?

// Blomman

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast