+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Gue debating use of eccr rebreathers?

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Gue debating use of eccr rebreathers?

Was told today from a reliable source that currently theres some interest in re-debating use of rebreathers eccr as well a scr by the GUE boys at the moment -possibly some debate about this at the upcoming GUE conferance.

If its true cant see that they need to go eccr myself given their sucess with scr facilitated greatly i supsect by their endless source of willing tank stagers :D and superb teamwork

Would be interesting debate none the less but i dont think the technology is really and safer or any further on that it was years ago.

same old crappy cells
    Last edited by Drmike; 16th November 2007 at 14:41.

Re: Gue debating use of eccr rebreathers?

I saw a comment somewhere that I believe was attributed to Casey saying they'd reached the limits (or were approaching the limits) of what they could do with SCR.

Seeing as how they are talking about CCR's at the GUE conference, I would expect them to be evaluating if CCR will allow them to push further than SCR. This would be a different evaluation from 'are CCR's safe now'.

But that's all hearsay and speculation

RBW Member richc is an unknown quantity at this point richc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike  View Original Post
    Was told today from a reliable source that currently theres some interest in re-debating use of rebreathers eccr as well a scr by the GUE boys at the moment -possibly some debate about this at the upcoming GUE conferance.
    December 1st in Budapest. Agenda includes:

Forum Debate: Efficacy of Rebreather Diving – CCR and SCR
    Kevin Gurr, George Irvine, Jarrod Jablonski, Casey McKinlay, Phil Short, Rick Stanton

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trob09  View Original Post
    I saw a comment somewhere that I believe was attributed to Casey saying they'd reached the limits (or were approaching the limits) of what they could do with SCR.

Seeing as how they are talking about CCR's at the GUE conference, I would expect them to be evaluating if CCR will allow them to push further than SCR. This would be a different evaluation from 'are CCR's safe now'.

that would make sense for those very few GUE divers doing these big pushes such as WKPP, and I personally agree that eccr is the best tool for the kind of extreme expedition diving less than half a dozen people in GUE are doing....but other than that handful of GUE divers the rest of them arent doing these kind of dives so dont need one, hell very few of them even 'need' scr I am sure. So I pressume the debate will be can eccr be DIR for dives that warrant them....interesting. I recall talking to JJ about Eccr and his stance was 'i have yet to have a dive where I needed one to complete it' I guess he has started to. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by richc  View Original Post
    December 1st in Budapest. Agenda includes:

Forum Debate: Efficacy of Rebreather Diving – CCR and SCR
    Kevin Gurr, George Irvine, Jarrod Jablonski, Casey McKinlay, Phil Short, Rick Stanton
    Very interesting....hmm, Ive never been to Budapest

Why couldnt they have had this debate at the last GUE conferance, that I attended Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike  View Original Post
    that would make sense for those very few GUE divers doing these big pushes such as WKPP, and I personally agree that eccr is the best tool for the kind of extreme expedition diving less than half a dozen people in GUE are doing....but other than that handful of GUE divers the rest of them arent doing these kind of dives so dont need one, hell very few of them even 'need' scr I am sure. So I pressume the debate will be can eccr be DIR for dives that warrant them....interesting. I recall talking to JJ about Eccr and his stance was 'i have yet to have a dive where I needed one to complete it' I guess he has started to. Interesting.
    That was my understanding of the evaluation - this would be for the 2-5 individuals who are doing the long pushes in Wakulla, etc. not for the masses of the DIR faithful.

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trob09  View Original Post

It is refreshing that the panel isn't stacked 'against', and the 'dogma' aspect has been set aside. Perhaps this will result in a real discussion. The weeki wachee team proved it could work.

As I understand current RB-80 practices.... Backgas (2 x 130's) is immediate bailout, drive gas is slung (AL80's). Additional bailout and drive bottles are deployed by setup teams along the mission route...

So, what would the move from SCR -> eCCR mean....?
    - Reduction of team setup work? Maybe, not significantly, adaquate bailout supplies are still a concern. Maybe reduction of some additional drive bottles, and the bailout considered a longer term stash over multiple missions if left untouched. (Fairly certain they do this today).

- Better Deco? Probably, the extent would really need to be run.
    I always wondered why they didn't use some sort of rebreather tech for the O2 deco in the habitat... For as many hours, they've gotta be burning through a few O2 bottles. Even if it's a DAN setup there would be some value here.

-Tim

Certainly dogma is a tough thing to overcome.

It seems to me that the real advantage lies in reduction of drive gas requirements and reduction of work needed to stage the same for the lead team(s). Bail out is still needed and deco reduction would be minimal if any.

It may be that they ultimately deem CCR's to be unsuitable for their mission - that's fine. I find it encouraging that the insulting dialogue appears to have been been put aside and that groups with different philosophies might actually learn from each other rather than finger-point and name-call.

T

RBW Member Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko's Avatar
    HH Inspiration / Joki

Dolphin, Megalodon, RGU

If you use TWO eCCR's... you don't need so many stages... no so many team work... no so many logistic... no so many things.
    Maybe this is the question that GUE is taking about.

My two cents.

Best

Mikel

PD: it would be fantastic to be there in Budapest.

Sock Puppet banned - gobfish1 back Bobnob can only hope to improve Bobnob can only hope to improve Bobnob's Avatar

Money . = GUE Mass ;)

also some good old boys moving away , to play on ccrs
    Last edited by Bobnob; 16th November 2007 at 16:32.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 ... LastLast