+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Song Hong II expedition - nice way to spend your birthday :D

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Song Hong II expedition - nice way to spend your birthday :D

So what do you want to do on your birthday? was the question asked...Id like to spend it exploring a cave was the predictable reply. :D

As luck would have it the rest of the team were available to revisit Song Hong to continue our exploration on the week that included my birthday.

I was to spend most of my birthday in a cave :D

I muttered 'happy birthday' to myself as I did my final tie off at around 800m+ distance into the passageway at depth of 140m with considerably less line on my second home made reel than I started with :D :D

Now this was a birthday present I really appreciated. Pushing virgin passage in crystal clear water beautiful cave - nice :D Anticipating a long scooter back (most of the time passage was sub 120m) my happy birthday thoughts turned to happy death day when I tried to restart the scooter only to hear a pathetic begrudging slow wine as the blades struggled to spin......Oh shit! :D

Pulling my back up scooter around to the front and pushing the primary back I gingerly turned its handle only to hear the same slow pathetic wine as the blades struggled to turn....this was not good I thought:D This far in at this depth was going to result in a shed load of deco if I have to swim out - and I knew even boris scrubber wouldnt make it with hours of swimming at sub 130m depth - the back up rebreather I was carrying would help but I still didnt fancy my chances. Without pause I started finning with the scooter on whinning slowly with almost negligable pull. Weirdly enough I noted the scooter began to pick up speed, faster and faster until it was back running at full speed??!! I was too happy to question why and scoottered off down the beautiful passageway and out the cave. :D

Once I got to within easy swimming distance from the exit at depth 50m I swapped back to my primary scooter to test it and it worked fine...I can only assume seeing as both 'failed' in the same way that the pressure acting on the seals was an issue once I stopped the scooter and tried to restart??? its the only thing i can think of as to why both scooters were slow once I tried to start them at depth but were fine once they were running a bit and shallower. Ill ask Rodney if he has any idea...maybe I ws just narked? :D

Anyway that asside it was a great expedition and I was really happy to push the cave that far and the passageway was really beautiful with crystal clear water almost no flow. The bailout rebreather worked flawlessly as did boris. Exiting the water after 6 hours o deco I was greated by both Matt and Ben who had exited their own dives earlier we were all fit happy and excited abut the great passageway we had explored.

We had a great team as usual with bottom divers myself Matt Partridge, Ben Reymenants being supported by our Medical support Dr Ljubisa (Hyperbaric doc) Basically almost all the Sra Keow 3 team. The support divers as usual did a great job of helping set up the habitat and stage tanks for us without them it would have been impossible.

Ill post some more details shortly (I have a terrible memory for details) and post some pics and latest atempt at a 'survey' (though really its only going to be a crapy sketch from memory and likely quite wrong) on my site for anyone with an interest.

Cheers
    Mike
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Drmike; 16th November 2007 at 13:16.

Jani Haaja jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja's Avatar
    JJ-CCR, Inspo Classic

HH Inspo

Re: Song Hong II expedition - nice way to spend your birthday :D

Must have been a really nice feeling when you noticed that the scooter is not running :)

Glad it worked out fine and nice report, waiting for the longer version with pics...

RBW Member mortenkjerulff has a spectacular aura about mortenkjerulff has a spectacular aura about mortenkjerulff has a spectacular aura about mortenkjerulff has a spectacular aura about mortenkjerulff has a spectacular aura about mortenkjerulff has a spectacular aura about mortenkjerulff's Avatar

Hi Mike.

Happy birthday, and thanks for sharing.

Morten

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Some of the pics are uploaded on my site - just need to add text

Drmike : photos : Song Hong II expedition - Thailand NOV 07- powered by SmugMug

RBW Member tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining's Avatar
    Hammerhead, SF2, Megalodon, JJ

Boris, Sentinel, Inspiration,

Song Hong Cave is truly an amazing system with excellent visibility deep inside the cave. Its remote location called for extensive support and logistics and down to a great bunch a guys and girls the trip proved a great success, I just cannot wait until spring next year when we get back their for more.

For those interested I have posted a report of the Expedition with some images here.

Song Hong Cave Expedition 2007 Thailand

Cheers
    Last edited by tecdivertraining; 17th November 2007 at 07:05.

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Belated happy birthday, Mike, and thanks for the pics and post. :D

That's a nasty sunburn in the first pic, gotta be more careful, mate. :p

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Thanks for the report/pics and the deep scooter testing Mike, and happy b'day... -Andy

Quote Originally Posted by caveseeker7  View Original Post
    Belated happy birthday, Mike, and thanks for the pics and post. :D

That's a nasty sunburn in the first pic, gotta be more careful, mate. :p
    you have to expect and plan for the unexpected on such trips....

7am start heading off to the site we didnt expect to be hit by a raving drunk local barely able to sit on his moped :D

fortunately little damage to the truck - but we didnt want to hang around especially seeing as the necklace he was wearing doubles as a device they use to clean gun barrels! I kid you not :D

Pis5ed at 7am - not bad huh! :D
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by tecdivertraining  View Original Post
    Song Hong Cave is truly an amazing system with excellent visibility deep inside the cave. Its remote location called for extensive support and logistics and down to a great bunch a guys and girls the trip proved a great success, I just cannot wait until spring next year when we get back their for more.

For those interested I have posted a report of the Expedition with some images here.

Song Hong Cave Expedition 2007 Thailand

Cheers
    Great write up Matt!!

RBW Member Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll's Avatar
    Waiting for my Next

Megalodon 2.7

thanks for sharing again on the second expedition...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast