+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CCR Trimix Simplified -- Book Review

Diving Technologist JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba's Avatar
    KISS Classic # 275

MK15, Draeger, TheKyle-CCR

CCR Trimix Simplified -- Book Review

CCR Trimix Simplified
    by Mel Clark
    Published by Silent Scuba LLC

Book Review by Joel Silverstein

I split from DEMA Friday afternoon for a 5-hour flight back to Vegas. That gave me time to do an information dump from Mel Clark's new book into my already packed brain. If it could get in without me going "huh?" then I would be pleased.

This self-published 98-page text is all but outstanding. Mel has taken the complicated subject of Trimix diving with CCR and simplified it so that you don't leave off any section in wonder. She combines practical applications of diving to the CCR with helium-based mixtures.

At first glance it looks like this was started as a training manual for an agency but then jumps back to a practical text. A few typos here and there, some syntax issues, and some uses of acronyms in areas I would not have used them, can all be cleaned in the next production run.

The text is organized in nine chapters. Each builds on the information from the previous one. She uses clear, concise examples when it comes to numbers and formulas that if all you ever learned in the past was basic Nitrox you can fully understand the direction and concepts being explained. It is non-unit specific though at times she will mention a Megladon or a Kiss unit which I suspect is because of her intimate knowledge of those units. But, the information is applicable to all rebreathers whatever brand.

Chapter 1 - Overview
    Chapter 2 - CCR Trimix (how it works)
    Chapter 3 - Gas Properties
    Chapter 4 - Decompression Physiology
    Chapter 5 - Human Physiology
    Chapter 6 - Dive Planning
    Chapter 7 - Dive Medicine
    Chapter 8 - Equipment
    Chapter 9 - Survival Operations

The book is nicely illustrated with photos, graphs, charts, pull-quotes, and some exercises that the reader can use to verify that they understand the material. In addition the chapters on Gas, Decompression, Physiology, and Dive Medicine are spot-on. The information is extremely accurate and she has not taken any liberties here. Her discussions of dive planning, what-ifs, and survival options are reminiscent of the way Billy Deans would have trained someone. Mel takes the opportunity here to explain some complex problems in a simple way. She has done an outstanding job.

As dive manuals go this one needs to be in EVERY rebreather diver's library whether or not they dive with Trimix. All of the information is applicable to air - diluent CCR diving and open circuit diving. This book reaches the levels of Blueprint for Survival, Understanding Rebreathers, and the NOAA Diving Manual. Mel Clark's expertise really shines in this, her second text on the subject of rebreathers. I will look forward to her next book.

The book is in short production runs and will be available from Rebreather World Store shortly.

Get This Book!

===================
    Joel Silverstein
    Attached Files

RBW Member Peter M is an unknown quantity at this point Peter M's Avatar

Re: CCR Trimix Simplified -- Book Review

Dont suppose there is a down-loadable version is there ????

Scuba Imports Australia Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris's Avatar
    rEVO III rMS

Inspo, Kiss, Prism, Meg

Have to agree with the above.

Had a 30 hour trip home and read through the manual twice
    Once between Detroit and Tokyo, then again on the flight to Perth.

No good movies on the plane

Overall a great read on tmx and deep CCR diving. Mel has done a wonderful job putting this sometimes very confusing subject into plain english.

I am kicking myself I didn't buy some more copies as I have had 5 pm's from Aussies in the last couple of days asking if I have spares.

I would highly recommend this manual to anyone that is thinking of getting into tmx and deeper diving on the CCR, its a good base to start and gives the basics to build a sound understanding on.

Cheers
    Chriso

RBW Member tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining's Avatar
    Hammerhead, Megalodon, JJ-CCR

Boris, Sentinel, Inspiration,

Post man just deliverd my copy, looking forward to reading it later today, first glimps show a well put togeter colour manual.

RebreatherWorld Sponsor Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

My manual turned up in the post today too......

Looks like another late night tonight ;)
    You can run but you can't hide!

ISC Appointed Megalodon Dealer for East Australia
    ISC Trained Megalodon & Pathfinder Trimix Instructor & Service Technician
    http://www.closedcircuitdivers.com.au
    info@closedcircuitdivers.com.au

TechnicalDiving.IE smcmullan is an unknown quantity at this point smcmullan's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Thumbs up Re: CCR Trimix Simplified -- Book Review

I'm halfway through it at the moment. I'm reading up prior to doing my CCR Entry Level Trimix next April. At my stage of the game this manual is a godsend. Superb stuff. Well done.

+ Reply to Thread