+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dual Pony Tanks?

Mark Hilley firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver's Avatar
    Kiss Sport

Dolphin, Ray, Homebuild

Dual Pony Tanks?

I'm thinking of adding a second 13cf pony tank to my Dolphin for both balance and the increased air supply. I'm wondering if I can make up a short HP hose and run the first stages in series, HP port to HP port, so there are two 1st stages, but only one 2nd stage(actually an Air 2). I know the two tanks would equalize when the valves are opened, but I would still have 26cf of air. I believe the HP port on a 1st stage is straight through with no pressure reduction. Has anyone tried this, or is there a problem with my idea? Any help would be great. Thanks, FD.:)

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Re: Dual Pony Tanks?

It should work fine. I used to fill my 13 from my 120's with a whip that was made to screw into the HP port of the Draeger regulator.

I always filled very slowly so I am not sure about restrictions though.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Custom Title Allowed! Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef's Avatar

Why not get a larger tank that you can use for either deco or bailout? Or a larger tank and do away with the pony?

I use a 7L/232 bar tank sideslung on the left [more balanced as the 3L/232 is on the right which supplies my suit gas and is used for deco. Deeper bailout is from the 3L which is filled with air.

I also have a 10L/232 with an H valve that I occasionally use. I still need to sort a first stage to use with it though. The disadvantage is that if you are gas matching then the tank cannot be safely breathed from at depth.

If you have a hose between the two regs, it is a vulnerable point. If it became damaged and you couldn't isolate it you would lose all your bailout.

Steve Sprague 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster's Avatar
    rEvo

Dolphin

I sort of use this setup when diving with the 40% jet, because the mix tank I use is larger (longer) and a 19cf pony will not fit. I have a unique first stage regulator that has an internal check valve so that gas can only flow one direction, if in the unlikely event the HP hose between the ponys breaks then only one pony bottle empties. You might be able to find a check valve that screws into a first stage HP port.

I find that I feel significantly "wider" with a pony on either side. A side slung bottle will have a lot more bail out gas and can be moved around to where it is most comfortable. Probably a simpler, better way to go.

Custom Title Allowed! Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef's Avatar

Hopefully I will be in with both a 5L/3L/7L stage set up on Sat, and the 10L with trimix :D at last, but I won't be running a seperate reg off of that tank.

If I am then I will get some pictures of the set up I use.

Dalış Bahane Alem Şahane teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali's Avatar

Do a low pressure connection between the 2 regulators. And then set one of the reg's IP's slightly lower than the other. That way you first use one tank and then use the other.

You can also swithch the mix by swithching one tank off and the other on.

This is a very celver design I think and it is used on a Submatix in SCR mode.

Teoman

Mark Hilley firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver's Avatar
    Kiss Sport

Dolphin, Ray, Homebuild

I'm not real fond of having hang tanks slung all over me. It gets in the way of spearfishing. I'm not too worried about 4ster's concern of it being a wide set up, either. I'm 6ft, 240, so I'm a big guy. I shouldn't have any problem with that. I am very interested in the check valve idea. That would cover the "what if a hose bursts?" angle. I've seen them for LP but I have never seen one for HP. Anybody got any idea where to find such a thing? I'm also intersted in the LP option, as Teoman suggested. That seems to be the least risky, and would also allow for some options with the possibility of different gasses. I'm really not planning on getting that far into it yet. I'm mainly looking for the increased air supply in case of a bailout situation. If I had to ascend from 130ft or so, a 13cf is not gonna last too long, especially if I had a problem or a deco obligation. Thanks for the advice so far, and looking forward to more input on this. FD.

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Another thing to consider, if using LP and there was a hose failure it is still possible to save some of the gas by turning the tank off. With HP and small tanks, they will drain very quickly in the event of a hose failure.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by teomannaskali  View Original Post
    This is a very celver design I think and it is used on a Submatix in SCR mode.Teoman
    I think that the Azimuth SCR uses the same principle.

RBW Member stumpy's widgets is an unknown quantity at this point stumpy's widgets's Avatar

The Azimuth uses two separate regs. so the LP is switched you have the choice of one or the other. In a box around here somewhere I have several K valves with a HP port which would allow a pressure gauge to screw into the tank verses the Reg. I have 5\16, 3\8 and 1\2 machine thread Swagelok 1\4 tube fittings you could get a Swagelok spring loaded check valve say 2 LB so would create a small differential or could be 250 LB sort of reserve in one tank. The checks I'm thinking of are rated at 10,000 PSI.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast