+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Diving Whilst taking Diclofenac

New Member Pete W is an unknown quantity at this point Pete W's Avatar

Diving Whilst taking Diclofenac

Hi,
    Does anybody know if it is safe to dive whilst taking 'Diclofenac' anti inflammatory tablets?
    The list of posible side effects is longer than my arm but diving is not mentioned!!
    I have had a bit of a dodgy stomach whilst taking them but I just wondered if there could be anything more sinister if i take the plunge.

Thanks

Pete

RBW Member SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ's Avatar

Re: Diving Whilst taking Diclofenac

Quote Originally Posted by Pete W  View Original Post
    Hi,
    Does anybody know if it is safe to dive whilst taking 'Diclofenac' anti inflammatory tablets?
    The list of posible side effects is longer than my arm but diving is not mentioned!!
    I have had a bit of a dodgy stomach whilst taking them but I just wondered if there could be anything more sinister if i take the plunge.

Thanks

Pete
    Depends what you are taking them for? i.e. the underlying condition may affect your fitness to dive. Anyway, PM on its way.

New Member sasmedic is an unknown quantity at this point sasmedic's Avatar

Hi Pete

Your runny stomach problem may be because you are taking it without food. Diclophenac is known to cause an upset stomach if taken on an empty stomach.

I am not aware of any contra indication for it with regards to diving but as mentioned by the other reply it depends what you are taking them for? Something else you need to ensure is that you are well hydrated as diclophenac has been associated with kidney failure in sport events where the participants takes it as a prophylactic pain remedy. Once dehydrated the diclophenac causes the kidneys to be blocked causing kidney failure which can be a life threatening emergency.

Regards vandre

Curmudgeon babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar's Avatar

diclofenac is an anti inflamatory. Shouldn't be any different than taking motrin or naproxen while diving.

Hi all
    I'm taking it as an anti imflamatory for an ankle injury (pain and swelling just behind the achilles tendon)

Pete

Andy Pitkin apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin's Avatar
    Prism 1

various

As already mentioned, there are some minor potential theoretical issues but in practice the bottom line is that it is probably safe to dive while taking NSAIDs like diclofenac.

Andy

Andrew Martin Ward AMW will become famous soon enough AMW will become famous soon enough AMW will become famous soon enough AMW will become famous soon enough AMW's Avatar
    KISS

Nome brew side mount

I took Diclofenac for three years before a hip re-coating operation, my doctor was happy for me to dive while taking it.

Andrew.

RBW Member Mossyback will become famous soon enough Mossyback will become famous soon enough Mossyback will become famous soon enough Mossyback will become famous soon enough Mossyback's Avatar
    rEvo Standard II

IDA-71, Desco, Homebuilt

I was on diclofenac prior to a total hip replacement. I also had stomach cramps. The drug comes in two forms, one is a sodium salt and the other potassium. I was initially on diclofenac sodium and it raised hell with my stomach. Diclofenac potassium caused no stomach problems. Talk to your physician.

Hank

Thanks all for your responses. Although there appears no side affects with diving taking diclofenac,my ankle is telling me otherwise! went in pool the other night with a coupe of nobbies and finning action is
    aggravating problem (Doc suggested don't put under unneccessary strain for 6 weeks ).So conclusion is no diving for a good few weeks even though there are no side effects .

Thanks again to all

Pete

RBW Member ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete W  View Original Post
    Thanks all for your responses. Although there appears no side affects with diving taking diclofenac,my ankle is telling me otherwise! went in pool the other night with a coupe of nobbies and finning action is
    aggravating problem (Doc suggested don't put under unneccessary strain for 6 weeks ).So conclusion is no diving for a good few weeks even though there are no side effects .

Thanks again to all

Pete
    The upset stomach is a commonly noted side effect, even though it is a COX-2 selective inhibitor and should do this less than other drugs in this class (many NSAIDS, non steroidal antiinflammatories are both COX1 and COX2 enzyme inhibitors, the newer ones are selective).

I read that you have had lots of recommendations that diving with diclofenac is no issue, and I would agree with this if general recreational diving is involved. However, the effects of drugs at high PPO2 and especially their effect on high PPO2 tolerability is as far as I am aware very poorly understood and I would very carefully consider the risk/benefit when taking any drugs (including over the counter drugs) and diving high PPO2 and would avoid it if at all possible.
    Unfortunately it looks like you have to take a break anyway.
    Hope you get well very soon!!
    Alex

+ Reply to Thread