+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Song Hong and Baa cave exploration, Thailand

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Song Hong and Baa cave exploration, Thailand

Mathew Partridge and myself have just returned tired, muddy and happy after much searching for and diving of the illusive Song Hong Sink located in the Trang region of southern Thailand.

The expedition for Song Hong sink started on Friday 5th October with my arrival at Krabi and a visit to Sra Keow caves. Matt (who was support for Sra Keow 3 expedition) and Ben Reymenants (Sra Keow 3 bottom diver extraodinair) spent Sat and Sun blending, and finalising his logistics and dive planning whilst in the sweltering heat the two Swindon lads (Me and Dave) went off to explore a new dry cave I had found during our last Sra Keow expedition. This cave entrance is tree root filled 30ft pitch hidden in the jungle that required SRT to get down. That done the passageway ran north south. Unfortunately the heavy rainfall and the fact we were in the middle of the rainy season meant the water level in the cave was far higher than would have been liked. Sra Keow resurgence was 2m higher and really blowing!

Another nearby cave proved to have a maze of good passageways that kept us enthralled and muddy. The inside of the cave was like a sauna in the tropical heat.

Decided to name the new cave Baa cave (Baa is Thai for 'crazy' which they all think Farangs are especialy those that enjoy going down holes in the ground - they think were mad.)

We hooked up with Matt Sunday afternoon and so began the hunt for Song Hong sink.

It took a LOT of searching to locate Song Hong sink, The location is in the arse end of nowhere and not on any maps locally found locally or on the Internet. A missleading report years ago suggested the sink is in nakorn which it isnt so claims from some sources to have dived it are totally false. ;) We visited several areas over a 48 hrs period were we believed the site may be but to no avail. Finally on our last day of this planned trip we gained knowledge from a local source who provided us with rough directions. Having already searched around in this area we had high hopes that we would find the site and we did. The pool was located in a very remote part of Trang around 2hrs from Krabi were nobody speaks English, No English road signs but lots of Police boxes, schools and yellow bus stops (a personal joke to remind me of the struggle to locate this place). On arriving at the destination we were greeted by locals who described as best they could through mixed communication were the caves entrances were.

The main entrance is located directly in font of were we managed to park the pickup enabling us to enter without too much difficulty. A second entrance is believed to be only a short distance away leading into the main cave entrance.

Our goal for this trip was just to locate and gain an orientation of the cave and assess the suitability of installing a habitat for a future Expedition sometime early 2008.

Our dive plans were to 130m with a bottom time of 26min including decent. I was the first to dive the cave as Matt provided support and then we switched roles.

I descended down to the upstream entrance and penetrated about 100m before returning back to the sink and dropping down to the breakdown mound. The top of which was at 95m. Max depth reached of 105m using my Ouroborous Rebreather. Mathew penetrated the cave to a maximum depth of 74m using an ISC Megalodon Rebreather. The visibility all the way down and inside the entrance was excellent of the order of 2om viz and conditions were very good. The cave passageges are huge over 20m wide. Water temperature was an excellent 26 degrees in the deep and 29 degrees in the shallows. Our dives finished just as it started to get dark on the last day of our trip so all round a successful, stressful and eventful few days
    leaving us craving for more.

We plan to return to this site equipped with scooters habitat and bigger support team, and extensive logistics early 2008 with a view to survey the so far unexplored passages.

This cave is big deep and likely very long passages so scooters are going to be essensital and the deco requirements for any reasonable penetration at these depths will likely be significant - hence our plans to install a habitat. I also intend to use the twin rb next time, due in part to the cost of He in Thailand!

This trip would not have been possible without the help of our friends at One- stop- dive, Krabi Thailand and the staff at Pro-Tech Dive College in Phuket and special thanks and big wet sloppy kisses to Milo

Unfortunaletly Ben was unable to join us on the dive due to the fact he electrocuted himself

For those with an interest some pics of this first expedition on my website:-

Drmike : photos : Song Hong and Baa Cave discovery, Thailand - powered by SmugMug

Attached Images
    Last edited by Drmike; 10th October 2007 at 09:06.

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Re: Song Hong and Baa cave exploration, Thailand

The Thai are right, you lot are nutters! :D Congratulations.

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar

Good one mate!

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

Congratulations and well done guys!!

Looking forward to hearing more about these caves when you dive them next.

Lance

RBW Member tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining's Avatar
    Hammerhead, SF2, Megalodon, JJ

Boris, Sentinel, Inspiration,

Hi Mike

It has truly been a pleasure to share your company over the last few days, you really do have that fighting spirit to just keep on going when I really felt like jacking it in after driving around Thailand solid for two days. I cannot remember the last time I drank so many Red-bulls to keep me going.

The dive has left me with a thirst for more but for now Iím looking forward to a cold beer tonight with my family as Iím totally shattered

Dave at Onestop krabi is the man and Milo you really are a star, if only one of us would have thought to call him on the first day ;)

Cheers

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Congratulations guys. Good job.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

RBW Member divecrazy has a spectacular aura about divecrazy has a spectacular aura about divecrazy has a spectacular aura about divecrazy has a spectacular aura about divecrazy has a spectacular aura about divecrazy has a spectacular aura about divecrazy's Avatar

Wink Re: Song Hong and Baa cave exploration, Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by tecdivertraining  View Original Post
    Hi Mike

It has truly been a pleasure to share your company over the last few days, you really do have that fighting spirit to just keep on going when I really felt like jacking it in after driving around Thailand solid for two days. I cannot remember the last time I drank so many Red-bulls to keep me going.

The dive has left me with a thirst for more but for now Iím looking forward to a cold beer tonight with my family as Iím totally shattered

Dave at Onestop krabi is the man and Milo you really are a star, if only one of us would have thought to call him on the first day ;)

Cheers
    Helo guys, I am glad that you got to the cave. This one is my favourite. Sure a lot of possibilities for more explorations. The Korean guy did a good job laying lines and they are easy to follow. My favourite diving there is sidemount and looking for new passage ways. And you are right, with the Thai prices for helium here and the work with staging the tanks on OC, I decided to go rebreather as well. I just have to learn how to dive it before I will take it there. So for now just OC and a lot of tanks ). I am planning to go there soon with Oliver and have fun too. When we help each other with locating caves, we will have a lot of places to dive. I know about more caves, not deep but still interesting cave diving. Let me know when you go in to install the habitat.
    Cheers, Milo D.

RBW Member Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll's Avatar
    Waiting for my Next

Megalodon 2.7

great report mike & matt, looking forward in learning from yer next visit to song kong. thanks for sharing

Supporting Member kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone's Avatar
    Classic Kiss Hammerhead

Sport Kiss Hammerhead

Looks like another GREAT trip
    thanks for the report and pics
    Kevin

RBW Member tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining's Avatar
    Hammerhead, SF2, Megalodon, JJ

Boris, Sentinel, Inspiration,

Quote Originally Posted by divecrazy  View Original Post
    Helo guys, I am glad that you got to the cave. This one is my favourite. Sure a lot of possibilities for more explorations. The Korean guy did a good job laying lines and they are easy to follow. My favourite diving there is sidemount and looking for new passage ways. And you are right, with the Thai prices for helium here and the work with staging the tanks on OC, I decided to go rebreather as well. I just have to learn how to dive it before I will take it there. So for now just OC and a lot of tanks ). I am planning to go there soon with Oliver and have fun too. When we help each other with locating caves, we will have a lot of places to dive. I know about more caves, not deep but still interesting cave diving. Let me know when you go in to install the habitat.
    Cheers, Milo D.
    Milo good to see you on the forum. We plan the second expo at the end of the year maybe around xmas or early Jan and you are more than welcome to join us after your help in locating it. Myself and mike will keep you in the loop.

Cheers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast