+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Justyfing the cost of a Rebreather.

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar

Justyfing the cost of a Rebreather.

I was chatting to a friend earlier about getting engaged and explained how we did it on Rebreathers and he was interested.

Next question bobs up - so how much does one of those cost then? I answer,,silence for a minute then how much again?

So I tell him and he is like damn how the hell do you justify buying one of those let alone both you and Sarah having one.

Which kind of got me thinking it really is big cash we all spend on this.

I kind of dragged Sarah and I into it I guess for the following reasons.

As I am a total gadget freak and I could afford it. You could argue it is safer, cheaper for gas in long term, lighter etc etc but in honesty thats not really why I got them.

Which got me thinking - is this indicative of how things are changing in general with people prepared to spend much much more on their leisure activites?

If that is the case are we going to see massive growth in the RB mrket?

Stuart

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by schford
    ...is this indicative of how things are changing in general with people prepared to spend much much more on their leisure activites?...
    Personally, I don't think it is out of line concerning the cost for "our" hobby. It is all depending on the hobby.

What is the difference between you and Sarah buying 2 new Megs versus buying a new boat, or an airplane ? The cost is similar with the cost of the boat and airplane could be a lot more.

Same for motocycles, sport cars, HD/plasmas big screen TV's... All "normal" everyday stuffs.

If we get into the more "exotic" hobbies/sports, my skydiving rig costs as much as a eCCR and it is not even top of the line. And I haven't add the accessories (special helmets, camcorder, etc).

Even the kite-surfing rig costs close to a KISS (dealer cost for me :D ).

So, I think it is down to the type of hobby you are pursuing:
    Chess costs less - RB costs more!
    Do you want to play chess or do you want to go diving ?

ccr apprentice Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Meg 2.7/SW, Copis Meg, SK

I hear you Stuart,
    I ran a few simulations on excel spreadsheet: my conclusion? There is only 1 scenario in which you can justify a breather by the cost alone. This is if you are heavily (meaning at least 4 times a week) engaged in high tech diving on mix and if you need 3 sets of doubles + 4 stages+ regs... and if you choose the Kiss as a breather. If the delta in $ is higher, then safety (mainly deco) is the next reason, still if you are into tech diving. If not, well, you said it: we like technology and/or technique & we can afford it !
    Best
    Philippe

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Philippe GERIN
    ...There is only 1 scenario in which you can justify a breather by the cost alone. This is if you are heavily (meaning at least 4 times a week) engaged in high tech diving on mix and if you need 3 sets of doubles + 4 stages+ regs... and if you choose the Kiss as a breather...
    Not really, I did a quick calculation on one of the posts over at The Deco Stop, and I only need to do 1 mix dive a week-end for 1 year to pay for my KISS...

...which I did. So I am gaining "interests" now...

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie
    Personally, I don't think it is out of line concerning the cost for "our" hobby. It is all depending on the hobby.

What is the difference between you and Sarah buying 2 new Megs versus buying a new boat, or an airplane ? The cost is similar with the cost of the boat and airplane could be a lot more.

Same for motocycles, sport cars, HD/plasmas big screen TV's... All "normal" everyday stuffs.

If we get into the more "exotic" hobbies/sports, my skydiving rig costs as much as a eCCR and it is not even top of the line. And I haven't add the accessories (special helmets, camcorder, etc).

Even the kite-surfing rig costs close to a KISS (dealer cost for me :D ).

So, I think it is down to the type of hobby you are pursuing:

Chess costs less - RB costs more!

Do you want to play chess or do you want to go diving ?
    I have to give you at least 5 reputation points for that!:D

Nad

ccr apprentice Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Meg 2.7/SW, Copis Meg, SK

Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie
    Not really, I did a quick calculation on one of the posts over at The Deco Stop, and I only need to do 1 mix dive a week-end for 1 year to pay for my KISS...

...which I did. So I am gaining "interests" now...
    So we surely used different numbers. Never mind.
    Then I take it 3 years of these "interests" paid for 3 other breathers and it's still cheaper than an antique chess game made of ivory & ebony from the 15th century
    Best
    Philippe

rEvo CCR Driver silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba's Avatar
    JJ-CCR, rEvo

Justify and Rebreather?????

It is obvious to me that we like what we are doing with these rebreathers and we all seem to have a passion for it, for what ever the reason.

You can't really justify any type of leisure active for economic reasons. It is what we like to do in our spare time away from work and if you can afford it or make sacrifices so that you can, then that is all you need to do.

We are a very lucky group to feel so strongly about what we are doing. Alot of people go through life without any type of passion and I feel that they are missing out on a very important part of life.

A rebreather, what a great tool to experience ones self inner drive and passion. What a great tool to experience the great things that nature still has to show us.

I wish that more people could have and feel just some of the things that I am experiencing through the use of a rebreather.

My hats off to all of you out there that have the drive to be set yourself apart from the main stream and venture into areas that make you feel alive and full of life.

That's all I have to say about that.

Sincerely,

Curt

RBW Member Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie's Avatar
    why do I need to justify it?

I wanted one therefore I have one :D

Plus I've not wasted any mix since I got it :D

RBW Writer finbar.taylor will become famous soon enough finbar.taylor will become famous soon enough finbar.taylor will become famous soon enough finbar.taylor's Avatar

Justification

I did try and make some financial justifications and with some very creative accountancy it kinda made sence.

I also tried justifying on the safty factor and again that kinda made sence

but the long and the short was I wanted one, it was shiney and look REALLY COOL so I bought one.

Once I had bought it I justified using the money I was going to fit double glasing with for a KISS by using the warm gas to keep me cosy during the winter (but I still get strange looks from the people passing the window when I'm sat infront of the TV on a wierd contraption!)

Fin

Administrator ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE's Avatar
    Face it, folks, if you want to try to financially justify it, you should sell your gear and go into something more lucrative, like petroleum futures!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast