+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thank god for back up lights!

Jani Haaja jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja's Avatar
    JJ-CCR, Inspo Classic

HH Inspo

Thank god for back up lights!

Yesterday I was pushing myself through a narrow passage in around 55m. Suddenly my main light went black. My buddy was just behind me and at first thought that I was stuck. No I was getting my back-up lamp at hand.

It was a nice reminder why you must have two back-up lights that are just tested to function before the dive :D

JH

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

Re: Thank god for back up lights!

Quote Originally Posted by jhaaja  View Original Post
    It was a nice reminder why you must have two back-up lights that are just tested to function before the dive :D
    I used to think, it's only a backup, no need to worry about the batteries...

Until I had a triple light failure...

With my stage bottles not attached to the line, just dropped on the floor...

Solo...

Oops... :D

Jani Haaja jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja's Avatar
    JJ-CCR, Inspo Classic

HH Inspo

Quote Originally Posted by lizardland  View Original Post
    I used to think, it's only a backup, no need to worry about the batteries...

Until I had a triple light failure...

With my stage bottles not attached to the line, just dropped on the floor...

Solo...

Oops... :D
    Did you lear something

JH

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

I was in the middle of a loooong hang inside a cave when suddenly I sh1t myself as I started experiencing visual disturbances. Everything was going dark then bright then dark then bright again - the whole cave. I just started to think I was about to fit when it went totally dark as my HID battery died. I didnt know at that time that at the end of its 4hr burn time the HID light flashes before it dies :D

Although I had planned for it with additional lights and knew it would run out during the deco it still surprised me. :D

In search of Law breaking Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw's Avatar
    Meggy Meg...

Got the best one from day 1...

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike  View Original Post
    I was in the middle of a loooong hang inside a cave when suddenly I sh1t myself as I started experiencing visual disturbances. Everything was going dark then bright then dark then bright again - the whole cave. I just started to think I was about to fit when it went totally dark as my HID battery died. I didnt know at that time that at the end of its 4hr burn time the HID light flashes before it dies :D

Although I had planned for it with additional lights and knew it would run out during the deco it still surprised me. :D
    Mike,

do all Hid lights flash before going dead? is it a battery thing? or was it your unit only?

Thanks.

Spyros

RBW Member bluedjango1 will become famous soon enough bluedjango1 will become famous soon enough bluedjango1 will become famous soon enough bluedjango1 will become famous soon enough bluedjango1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw  View Original Post
    Mike,

do all Hid lights flash before going dead? is it a battery thing? or was it your unit only?

Thanks.

Spyros
    Spyros,

If your light was manufactured with Welch-Allen components, at least on the 18W HID lights, when the voltage drops too low the ballast will buzz for about 20-30 seconds before shutting off.

With Brightstar components, you will get the stobe effect quite often when the battrey voltage drops too low before shutting off completely.

I've deco'd in the dark - no lights - just raising my arm until the alarm on my computer stopped complaining. Fortunately I had left a light at base otherwise I'd have been crawling out of the dry section of the cave in darkness too.

One learns...

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike  View Original Post

Funnily enough, I had a similar event the first time I took my homebuild into Hurtle Pot. My vision was going dim and everything was going a funny colour... low voltage on a halogen lamp... funny how clear the word "cock" sounds when muttered through a DSV.

I also shat myself once when I thought the cave roof had collapsed on me. Instead, some knob had been piling a load of rocks on top of my RB until I moved and they ended up on my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Price  View Original Post
    I've deco'd in the dark - no lights - just raising my arm until the alarm on my computer stopped complaining. Fortunately I had left a light at base otherwise I'd have been crawling out of the dry section of the cave in darkness too.

One learns...
    Nice one!

I was diving with someone a few years ago (another member of the RBW parish) who spent an interesting 20min negotiating a bit of a choke with no line going through it in the dark just by the light of his VR3.

Once again, on the way in we'd both thought it's only a gap of a few metres, why worry.

As you say, one learns...

Cheers,

Stuart

+ Reply to Thread