+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: (RB/Tech) diving from Cairo, Egypt

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

(RB/Tech) diving from Cairo, Egypt

Questions for those living in Egypt, especially Cairo...
    • Where is the closest (i.e. distance, time) to get to for tech diving from Cairo ?
    • How far to get to Sharm ? Driving and flying...
    • How far to get to Hurghada ? Driving and flying...
    • How about north toward the Mediterranean side ?
    • How easy to import dive gear into Egypt ? Using DHL/Fed-Ex only ?
    Any additional information also helpful...

RBW Member safagamarc is on a distinguished road safagamarc is on a distinguished road safagamarc's Avatar
    rEvo III, Sentinel, Evo, Inspi

Re: (RB/Tech) diving from Cairo, Egypt

PM sent hope it helps!!!

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by safagamarc  View Original Post
    PM sent hope it helps!!!
    Yes, excellent information. Thanks a lot!

Johnny The Hatch Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad's Avatar
    CCR2000, Megalodon, Homebuilt

Norge, FGT, mk15, KISS, Inspo

i dont want to be to picky... but this information is quite good for the public, could you please post the information that you received.

/Jonny

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyB  View Original Post
    i dont want to be to picky... but this information is quite good for the public, could you please post the information that you received.
    Marc,

Do you have any objection ?

RBW Member safagamarc is on a distinguished road safagamarc is on a distinguished road safagamarc's Avatar

Sorry JonnyB and the rest, should have posted straight onto the thread but didn't want to ramble. So here is Egypt.

Saw your post regarding RB/tech here in Egypt. Hope I can answer a few of your points.

Getting out of Cairo is quite easy really all depends the mode of transport you choose. EgyptAir, Air Misr; and a few others do multiple daily flights out of Cairo to both Sharm and Hurghada. These can be expensive especially if you don't have residence status i.e. work permission. With the permit your looking at about 400 L.E. approx. 60€ for return. By car you can drive to both Sharm and Hurghada on fairly good roads (they've just completed the new motorway into the south which makes life really comfy) but they DO prefer that you drive in convoy if your in a private vechicle as a foreigner. From Cairo to Hurghada by car your looking at about 4/4.5 hours. Don't ask me about Sharm I'm not a Sharm fan.
    There is also very good and cheap regular scheduled coach departures to both destinations. Hurghada will be approx. 6hrs with the stop in Ras Gharib.

Having stuff sent to Cairo with Fed Ex and DHL is not a problem as long as its Cairo IMHO. We have always recieved our stuff but its a case of when. Example ordered a few manuals and by the time they were here they were out of date. I personally wouldn't do it but thats me and TIA (this is Africa).

As far as RB and Tech support is concerned there is a well established infrastructure in place here in Egypt so you get mostly everything in Cairo and all the larger resorts. I can only tell you what we have here in stock.

Approx. 3 tons of absorbent @ 8,-€ per KG
    Trimix/O2 to 300bar
    cylinders for most units
    cells, spares etc for all eventualities!
    and everything else you need for gas diving :D .

Hope thats answered your questions and if your around pass by me here in Safaga and we'll do a decent splash

Safe silent diving,

Marc

RBW Member dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t's Avatar

Phi when I lived in Hurgada I had a very bad experinces shipping stuff into egypt, my personal possessions including four rebreathers took three months to arrive and finally when I was summons to Safaga to collect I was charged a staggering amount of "import tax" which I fourtunatly managed to negotiate down but was still told I had to "donate" some of my personal belongings to the "customs"....all in all a very bad expereince, was a few years ago but be warned!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dave t  View Original Post
    ...all in all a very bad expereince, was a few years ago but be warned!!!
    Dave, thanks for the warning.

A few more detail questions just to see how someone living in Cairo could get some dives in with the least amount of traveling:
    • It looks like from Cairo, one could go directly due East to get to the Gulf of Suez (like Zafarana) a lot shorter (1hour) than driving to Sharm or Hurghada (5 hour), etc. How is the diving there, and are there any dive centers there ?
    • Any good diving to be had around Alexandria - which is also closer to Cairo ?
    • Any available ferry going from the African continent (east of Cairo) to Sharm to reduce the driving distance ? If exists, how safe and reliable ?
    • Any other possible scenario ?

Hi Phi,

Regarding your new questions. As far as shortening the travel time you are about right with the area you are looking at. Ain Sokna down to Zafrana is a mass development at the moment with luxury villas and a few resorts going in at the mo. However I'm unaware of any diving centre operating at this time. It is offcourse only a matter of time. The area is in the Gulf of Suez offering sheltered calm waters but it ain't deep. Supposed to be cracking for surfing but then I don't do that so can't tell you anything. Lots of wrecks of course, I think some of the northern liveaboard trips from Sharm head up that way to go wreck hunting (lots of stuff still to be found).
    Alex has got some diving but again relatively shallow with alot of controls and permits due to the artifacts still unsurvey. To my knowledge there are only 2 centers which are under local management, and are not RB friendly. I'll do abit of research as a colleague is an Alex resident so if you want I can get him to chase some numbers down!
    A ferry over the channel
    Hope that helps. Sounds like your coming over for awhile?

Safe diving,
    Marc

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast