+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vanuatu Cave Diving

Cave nut!
    Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris's Avatar
    rEVO

KISS, Flex, Satori, Mk15.5, ++

Vanuatu Cave Diving

Hi everyone. I am really excited to share the story of diving the Sarakata Resurgence on the Island of Espiritu Santo in Vanuatu. From May to Sept this year I have been exploring the cave and have now reached 1700m penetration which is the distance a previous group reached in 1999. In October I will be returning to hopefully extend the line into virgin passage.

The KISS CCR performed really well and has proved itself almost indestructable in the tight and very sharp limestone passages. Flow is very high in some areas and the gear really takes a beating. The enclosed CLs are brilliant in this setting.

The PO2 has been incredibly stable using a depth compensated 1st and needle valve (yeah yeah I know, I have had all the abuse before ) which I started using for deeper ocean diving but now like it so much I have made it a permanent change. I do not recommend you do the same, but tell you for interest only.

Unfortunately the cave is not open to the public, it is only by living here that I have negotiated access with the kastom landowners...and that has taken nearly 3 years of making a nusiance of myself!

Full story and some pics of this beautiful place on my website at:
    http://www.divedoc.net/speleology/ca...=99&location=3

Deep Cave Explorer DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM's Avatar
    Well done Richard !!!

I like the way back in zero vis, just feeling the cave

any topography of the cave ?

Regards

Jerome

Decodiver

Talking

Richard,

Top report, top trip.

Well done!

Cheers,

Dave Cooper.

Cave nut!
    Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris's Avatar
    rEVO

KISS, Flex, Satori, Mk15.5, ++

Thanks Jerome, Dave.

Not so smart to get myself into a position where I had to pass 3 restrictions in low or zero viz. Lesson learnt but not sure how we could have done it better other than not get into that section. The restrictions would have been fine on sidemounts, but with the CCR I was getting constantly jammed and having to remove slings, move rocks and dig a bit of a path through. My buddy on OC had a much easier time of it. The restrictions did not look especially silty but the areas in between certainly were. I guess the silt drifted slowly back into the previous restrictions with the low flow in that area.

re the topography, I will have some maps up soon. I surveyed the first 600m pretty well, but the second 1100m only for distance and depth. Enough information to be useful for subsequent divers anyway.

This is just the tip of the iceberg for caves in Vanuatu, but access is so difficult (very remote and hard getting permission). New tracks need to be cut through the jungle to reach the sites. So many different villages claim ownership of the land and will want payment if they allow you at all. All good fun!

+ Reply to Thread