+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ongoing Skills Training / Proposal

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar

Ongoing Skills Training / Proposal

Right I need your advice guys - I have an idea and I think it is something that might help us all dive safer.

We all learn skills when we do our courses be it basic / trimix / cave / wreck etc but how many of us practise them in a controlled way so we steadily improve over time?

Now I know some of you guys do but I bet a bunch of you are a bit like me and just dive as you love diving.

Well I have this idea for RBW, that we create in our Library, skills training cards and get input from our knowledgable members to enable us to have little cards to laminate with how do I? .... to practise skills. Then we use RBW to get a bunch of RBW divers in our locality together to practise some skillls. We print the cards and take em to an organisied dive to practise the skills in a safe and controlled enviroment.

I am thinking that we get some one knowledgable to put together a first draft, we then get some peer review and produce it in a format that we can print laminate and take diving to continue our onward training.

Some of my first ideas include:

• Weighting
    • Rescue Skills (inc recovery of a breathing but uncosious diver form depth)
    • Horizontal Hover / Kick / Ascend staying horizontal
    • Bail out procedures
    • SCR / Open Loop
    • Boom scenario handling
    • Minimum Loop Voiume Management during Ascent
    • Work out of bailout and test bailout
    • Stressed enviroments and how we handle them
    etc etc

Now if we have a favourable response on this I will organise the first couple with some of you guys to test out, if you are interested in volunteering to write one please let me know.

Stuart

RBW Member aquaxel is on a distinguished road aquaxel is on a distinguished road aquaxel's Avatar
    KISS

excellent idea.

mayb could be done like a checklist system, to do skills - lets say - once or twice a month.

i will introduce a regular skill practice day here in cyprus...

RBW Member tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining's Avatar
    Hammerhead, SF2, Megalodon, JJ

Boris, Sentinel, Inspiration,

Hi Stuart

Sounds like a good idea.

One thing I find works well when I teach CCR courses is signs and symptoms que cards instead of the usual high and low oxygen styled ques this way it gets the diver thinking about the problem and possible causes eg, your lips are twitching, you cannot feel your legs, you have a headace signs and symptoms of oxygen toxicity and Hypercapnia.

I belive all students should continue on practicing the skills learnt on thier tranning and mastering new skills relevent to the kind of diving.

Here are a few I teach additional to the course outlines you may wish to include.

Rebreather buddy breathing.
    Dilluent flush using the adv
    OC breathing from the ADV
    SMB deployment venting gas from the mouth piece

I also belive it good practice for divers to be very comfortable in removing and replacing the unit both on the surface and underwater as you never know when you may have to, how many guys and girls practice this? most divers find it difficult and many have never done the skill even during training.

hope this practical excersise goes well I believe it will be benificial for the divers who take part.

Happy days

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tecdivertraining
    ...removing and replacing the unit both on the surface and underwater...
    Keep in mind that diving in coldwater with drysuit and thick undersuit, this skill will be a lot more tricky than with a lycra/wetsuit in tropical environment.

If you don't have adequate weight on your body and use the rig as part of your buoyancy (i.e. I don't wear weight belt even with drysuit, for example), this skill will be next to impossible.

Stuart, since some of the skills mentioned on your list involved manipulation of the working unit, I suggest that something like a waiver form is included. I know it might be over-cautious and the UK is not US (i.e. infested with ambulance-chasing lawyers) but one never know how the family of the diver might react if something happens. Insurance won't hurt either...

My original technical training was pretty "tough" with everything is fair game and could fail all together at the same time type of training. And I love it since it pushed me very hard. However, I believe now the same training is done by mostly "simulated failures" and the instructors do not even touch the students gear. Flash card training is good, but having to diagnose and correct a REAL failure or you "die" is another level.

WEB MERMEN wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang's Avatar
    Inspo-Meg-PosMkVI-CCRDolphin

Prism,rEVO,Mk15.5,KISS,Hmblds

A great idea Schford. I am happy to help in anyway needed.

Confectioner to N@90 Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou's Avatar
    Great idea Stuart

Especially would be help for a like me; although alot of my time spent in the water is skills, skills and more skills... as well as bimbling along.

We're just reinforcing my course at the moment, but I could easily see that with the hours picking up and the increasing number of dives on the unit, there will be less time spent on skills and more time 'playing'

Things like que cards etc would be a great idea, even at the end of even a short, shallow dive, sitting in say 3-6m just going through basic drills is going to be of benefit :)

Although, I can not contribute to the actual cards etc... I am more than happy to work through the basic newbie ones if anyone would like me too

Decodiver

Exclamation

Dear All,

Whilst I for one always reiterate the benefit of skills, they are only of benefit when repeated regularly.

I tell all my students that they should be practising skills on every dive.

Whether this be high O2, low O2, manual running of the unit, bailing out/in etc is down to them.

But what they must ensure is that they can react instantaneously, to a given problem, from motor memory.

If your solenoid jams open at 90 metres (giving you an almost instantaneous PPO2 of 10, yes ten bar) you need to be able to isolate, flush, recover buoyancy and get back on the loop calmly, smoothly and without pausing to think what you should do.

Already this year, I know of one experienced CCR diver, who is believed to have hit the surface from 60 metres, due to a buoyancy problem, suffering a spinal bend.

I tell my students to constantly touch their kit under water, let your hands go to your drysuit disconnector, your wing disconnector, your cylinder valves, your bailout regs, without looking and repeat infinitum. That way when you need them your hands will go straight there with no faffing about.

Stuart hit the nail on the head, admitting he needs to do skills, I am sure others do too.

However, if one of my certified students needed to read a card before knowing how to properly perform an underwater skill, then IMHO they have missed the point completely, they should be 100% competent and confident in their ability to dive CCR, and the only way to do that is to do skills on every dive.

I practise skills on all of my dives, whether teaching or exploring, it keeps me sharp and better prepared to deal with eventualities.

Just my tuppence worth.

Cheers,

Dave Cooper

not RBW staff. EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sports kiss, dolphin

wtf is a "boom" scenario... I swear you lot just like making up new acronyms so you can claim their creation. Next you know someone will make up the BOV... oh... you have!

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckweasel
    wtf is a "boom" scenario...
    You didn't do the BOOM skill and passed your CCR course ?

Uuuh, this is my "666" post. How cool...:D

not RBW staff. EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sports kiss, dolphin

Talking

Whats a CCR?

Yak.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast