+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trip Report: Hole in the Wall, Esso Bonaire Wreck and MG-111 Wreck, Jupiter, Florida

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

Trip Report: Hole in the Wall, Esso Bonaire Wreck and MG-111 Wreck, Jupiter, Florida

Eight CCR divers boarded the Emerald Diver for a three dive outing.

(Photo Courtesy of Emerald Charters)

Although the weather did not start so favorably on this day, with a strong rain squall hitting just as we pulled away from the dock, things got better as the day went on.

All of our dives were oriented around interacting with Goliath Grouper, and we saw plenty on each dive. Not only did we see Grouper but, on our first dive, two nice sized reef sharks were swimming with our group throughout much of the dive.

We had a nice lunch provided by Emerald Charters, and our crew of three helped out tremendously. One thing I really enjoyed on this trip was being able to dive without flags on floats even though were were doing drift dives. Instead, we each shot lift bags after a prescribed amount of bottom time, and then we did drifting decompression.

(Photo by Adrian)

Thanks to UnderwaterShutterBug for putting this trip together. We had a great time, met new friends, and extended the reach of the SCRUBs to cover even more divers.

debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole's Avatar
    KISS Spirit & JJ-CCR

Kiss Classic & Sport, Kiss GEM

Re: Trip Report: Hole in the Wall, Esso Bonaire Wreck and MG-111 Wreck, Jupiter, Flor

You beat me to the punch -- here's another report:

Yesterday, Walt Stearns (www.underwaterjournal.com) organized a CCR Goliath Grouper trip with Emerald Charters (www.emeraldcharters.com) in Jupiter, Florida. At this time of year there are large aggregations of Goliath Grouper in the Jupiter area, presumably for spawning. Joining Walt and myself on the charter were Bob (EANXdiver) and Amy, Ryan Canon from Reef Photo (www.reefphoto.com), “Monkey”, Adrian (sfldiver), and Howard (ScubaDadMiami). On the trip were two Kiss Classics, two Sport Kiss, a Copis Meg, a Pelagian, and two Optimas.

While there was a mild swell (that subsided through the day), the skies were clear, and the water a balmy 86 degrees. It was a three tank trip to the Hole in the Wall (approx 145 fsw), the Zion Train (approx 90 fsw), and the MG111 (approx 60 fsw). We had run times on each of the dives of 106 minutes, 67 minutes, and 72 minutes, respectively. Despite these long dives at these depths, for the whole day I only went through about nine cubic feet of oxygen and nine cubic feet of diluent. You gotta love rebreathers!

The drops were perfect and the Goliath Grouper did not disappoint. We had lots of them at all three sites and even had a couple of inquisitive reef sharks at the Hole. Here are a few images from the trip:

Goliath Grouper

“Monkey” with his Copis Meg

Hole in the Wall

Bob and Amy on their Kiss Classics

Ryan taking a photo (as usual) with his Pelagian

Harold with his Optima

“Jupiter Wreck Trek”

Last edited by debersole; 9th September 2007 at 21:56.

RBW Member Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll's Avatar
    Waiting for my Next

Megalodon 2.7

Re: Trip Report: Hole in the Wall, Esso Bonaire Wreck and MG-111 Wreck, Jupiter, Flor

great reports, cool pics, nice to see meg was there;)

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by debersole  View Original Post

“Monkey” with his Copis Meg

hmm looks more like a deltapmeg to me :D

Underwater Journal Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns's Avatar
    KISS Explorer & Spirit LTE

KIS Sport, KISS GEM, Dolphin

Well we came to see goliath groupers and goliath groupers we did see.
    By rough count, there were approximately 28 – 30 on the Hole in the Wall - plus two large of inquisitive reef sharks, 50 on the Zion Train/Esso Bonaire, and another 30 on the MG-111.

Everyone seemed to enjoy the dives and the company. If anyone had a complaint, the rest of us weren’t listing.

Here’s a few images from the trip:

Last edited by Walt Stearns; 15th December 2008 at 13:46.

Underwater Journal Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns's Avatar
    KISS Explorer & Spirit LTE

KIS Sport, KISS GEM, Dolphin

Few more from the MG-111

You gotta love rebreathers! (I’m a SPORT KISS user and I endorse this message)
    Last edited by Walt Stearns; 15th December 2008 at 13:46.

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Saturday, I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to join the Florida S.C.R.U.B. Group and participate in the Jupiter, FL trip to dive with the spawning Goliath Groupers. I'm an experienced recreational and technical open circuit diver, but I recently (2 weeks ago) completed my initial training on my new Dive Rite Optima Rebreather and hadn't yet had the opportunity to dive recreationally with other closed circuit divers. I viewed this trip as a chance to do some great diving and as an opportunity to make some acquaintences in the closed circuit diving world.

To say that this trip exceeded my expectations would be an understatement. Walt Stearns (Underwater Journal) organized an amazing trip - Thanks Walt!

The Emarald Diver (Emerald Charters) and its crew were very attentive to all of our needs. With the number of divers onboard, all closed circuit divers I might add, we had plenty of room to lay our our equipment. As previously indicated within some of the other postings, the seas started off a bit choppy, but subsided as the day progressed. The charter served us a box lunch between the second and third dives, which was delicious, and again, far exceded my expectations.

As promised, on all of the dives we saw an abundance of Goliath Grouper! A couple of good size sharks also made their presence known and graced us with a few fly-bys on the first dive (very cool). The first dive was to the famous Jupiter Hole-In-The-Wall, which is in the 125 to 140 foot range and ended up giving me plenty of botom time with a bit of lift bag decompression after. The next two dives were on wrecks in about 80 and 60 feet respectively. The Goliath Grouper were not overly friendly, but weren't skiddish either. If you were patient, they eventually got close enough to take some nice pictures on all of the dives.

All in all, it was a great trip! For me personally, it turned out to be the perfect indroduction into the closed circuit world. I met a friendly group of other closed circuit divers, I received some great advice on equipment configuration and I did some great diving. Oh, and even though I am an entry level photographer and I am still trying to figure out how my simple digital camera and strobe works, especially as compared to some of the other accomplished photographers on board, I did manage capture a few interesting pictures. Now if I could just figure out how to imbed some pictures into this thread without having a URL address, I might be able to share some pictures from the trip with the rest of rebreatherworld.

So if you get the opportunity to join the Florida S.C.R.U.B.'s on one of their future dive trips, don't hesitate, because I'm sure you will have as amazing a time as I had!:D

RBW Member Trukdiver has a spectacular aura about Trukdiver has a spectacular aura about Trukdiver has a spectacular aura about Trukdiver has a spectacular aura about Trukdiver has a spectacular aura about Trukdiver's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Wonderful pictures! Wow.

+ Reply to Thread