+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rb80 Clone

Supporting Member tlocdiver is an unknown quantity at this point tlocdiver's Avatar
    Optima, KISS

Rb80 Clone

I have heard people speak of an RB80 Clone. Who make it, I have her of Chek company starting such a project, or is it a homemade deal. I would like to have and rb80 but don't want to have to take all the DIR basic I already know just to take the rebreather class.

On a side note does anyone know anything about the frog.

thanks
    tlocdiver

Casual Sport Kiss Pilot RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut's Avatar
    Sport Kiss

Re: Rb80 Clone

For an example, the EDO rebreather:

Swiss Technical Diving Equipment

cheers,
    RBN

Diver with a camera vlada is just really nice vlada is just really nice vlada is just really nice vlada is just really nice vlada is just really nice vlada is just really nice vlada is just really nice vlada is just really nice vlada is just really nice vlada's Avatar

My RB80 will be for sale later this fall. I'd even deliver to Florida if you can wait till X-mas.

Quote Originally Posted by tlocdiver  View Original Post
    I have heard people speak of an RB80 Clone. Who make it, I have her of Chek company starting such a project, or is it a homemade deal. I would like to have and rb80 but don't want to have to take all the DIR basic I already know just to take the rebreather class.

On a side note does anyone know anything about the frog.

thanks
    tlocdiver

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Most of the pSCRs are made in Germany.
    Have a look at the SCR forum, there are several threads on them.
    One of the better ones has lots of links to pSCRs.

I've seen the Habanero and RON, both impressive SCRs, though quite different.
    The RON is very heavy duty, whereas the Habanero is much lighter and should
    work very well for travelling (no frame requires).

I've seen the Frog at various DEMAs and wasn't impressed. Not with the unit itself,
    nor the people trying to sell it. The unit was covered as part of my 2004 DEMA report (link to Frog), but IMHO as an SCR it's way behind the pSCRs and as a CCR it's just about behind anything that is one.

Ouroboros #31 mathias has a spectacular aura about mathias has a spectacular aura about mathias has a spectacular aura about mathias has a spectacular aura about mathias has a spectacular aura about mathias has a spectacular aura about mathias's Avatar

Latest news about the EDO's:

EDO04, pscr:
    Until further notice the EDO 04 is no longer available. A homologation procedure is in progress with collaboration with the Swiss Office of accident prevention (BPA).

EDO08, ccr:
    This rebreather is no longer available

more infos on : Swiss Technical Diving Equipment

cheers
    Mathias

Banned MB is an unknown quantity at this point MB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caveseeker7  View Original Post
    and as a CCR it's just about behind anything that is one.

Well said.

The thing has been more or less a joke since it was first introduced.

Dave

RBW Member frog is an unknown quantity at this point frog's Avatar

among the 2 RB80 clone made in Germany there's the RB100 Halocline I was trained on at Protec in playa del carmen .

the Halocline unit is almost the exact design as the halcyon unit but his price is around 8000$ for the basic unit including the OC bailout but the frame and switchblock are extra $$$. you might en up paying 11000$ + shipping and taxes for the whole kit.

if you wanna get training closer to the RB80 , Matt (Andreas Mattes) from Protec playa is your best bet. the Halocline is a real RB80 clone (95% same design) unlike the other PSCR which have completely different internal design.

also the halocline is heavy built like a tank but is quite a pain in the ass to travel with because of the need of a bulky frame and it's weight.

haloclinedos.JPG

haloclineface.JPG

The one I currently own is the habanero made by Christoph Schmitt. the internal design is way different than the RB80 but is 35% lighter and completely made of composite material.

it's also take less volume and the tank frame is very light and compact just perfect for travelling.

it's also a cheap rebreather at 5000$ for the entire kit (unit+oc bailout+po2 monitor+travel frame) and add an extra 500$ to 900$ for the switchblock (many model available).

you can get training on that unit from Tom Mount (iantd patriarch). Also Christoph Schmitt the maker of the unit is travelling down in florida and the yucatan peninsula once in a while from germany.

Habanero (piquante PSCR)

habanero1.JPG

DSC00166.jpg
    Last edited by frog; 9th September 2007 at 20:27.

+ Reply to Thread