+ Reply to Thread

Thread: #^%@#!@& P-Ports

Darlene Starr - DIY Diva Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen's Avatar

#^%@#!@& P-Ports

Hi Guys, I had a P Port dis-connect itself today and flood the scrubber. It was the one that connects the scrubber inet at the exhale bag. (CCR Dolphin)

It seemed as though the movement of the bags must have pushed the PO2 cell P-connector into the release button on the exhale bag.

I know others have had P-Port disconnects before.
    Does anyone know which of those connectoins came apart?

This one seems vulnerable.

The release button on the exhale bag faces the inhale lung side of the housing. I'm wondering if rotating it 180 degress (away from everything else) would keep it more out of harm's way?

Does anyone know what was done by others to try to prevent future occurances?

Other than cutting a dive short and wasting good sorb, it wasn't otherwise eventful. Was at less than 30m and bailed to OC.

Thanks in advance for your input,

Darlene

WEB MERMEN wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang's Avatar
    Inspo-Meg-PosMkVI-CCRDolphin

Prism,rEVO,Mk15.5,KISS,Hmblds

Hi Scuba Vixen, I am glad that you are safe and sound and no damage done.

Hugging a whole tree, I haven't had one disconnect yet. I did look at which way the P-port release tabs pointed when I first arranged it all and moved one to face away. (To be honest though I moved it so it would not dent things rather than the thought of disconnection.)

The spring state may be something to have a look at. It is easy to disassemble and reassemble.

I have always thought that my positive test would be enough to test the P-ports for simple disconnections or mis-alignments but that dosn't account for manual disconnection if things move around and press the tab release.

Let us know what you decide.

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Are you using a stock dreager part or is it one that has the O2 injection built in. I have one right now that I have to make the indent a little deeper because it pulls out without depressing the button.
    Sure hope you didn't get too much of a cocktail
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Hi Darlene, I had the exact same thing happen to me, except it was a plain old SCR Dolphin. It caused my one and only scrubber flood (let's hope it's my only one) At 40 ft I felt a lot of resistance in the loop and then came heavy gurgling, so I bailed out quickly before the cocktail. My scrubber inlet P connector had only partially engaged and a sticky spring was found to be the culprit. I took apart the P connector and cleaned/scraped the spring and it worked for the rest of the trip. I bet we are not the only ones to have this happen. I'm not a big fan of P connectors either, sometimes they feel like they engage and but there's no audible click and they may or may not have. The only way to know for sure is to yank on them and even then they can wedge slightly and feel like they are engaged. And a pressure test will not reveal the bad connection as the o-ring may still seal fine even if the tabs don't engage. I guess they are pretty convenient when they work right. Thankfully I don't have those problems anymore as the Prism has threaded screw fittings for all the connections.-Andy

EXPLORER jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz's Avatar
    rEvo, PRISM, KISS

Modccr Dolphin, SM CCR, Satori

Quote Originally Posted by silent running
    Hi Darlene, I had the exact same thing happen to me, except it was a plain old SCR Dolphin. It caused my one and only scrubber flood (let's hope it's my only one) At 40 ft I felt a lot of resistance in the loop and then came heavy gurgling, so I bailed out quickly before the cocktail. My scrubber inlet P connector had only partially engaged and a sticky spring was found to be the culprit. I took apart the P connector and cleaned/scraped the spring and it worked for the rest of the trip. I bet we are not the only ones to have this happen. I'm not a big fan of P connectors either, sometimes they feel like they engage and but there's no audible click and they may or may not have. The only way to know for sure is to yank on them and even then they can wedge slightly and feel like they are engaged. And a pressure test will not reveal the bad connection as the o-ring may still seal fine even if the tabs don't engage. I guess they are pretty convenient when they work right. Thankfully I don't have those problems anymore as the Prism has threaded screw fittings for all the connections.-Andy
    Exactly that,

I also need to push in the plug and twist it securely until I hear the click.. no click and I remove and replace again until I hear it...
    and yes, it will pass a pos/neg test without a click.

btw, I do have, new, 6 male and 6 female p ports for sale. I will work out a price and let people know if interested... ex OZ

Cheers, JDZ

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Exclamation IANTD Safety Bulletins - Dräger Dolphin

In the Fall 2003 issue of IANTD's Nitrox Diver Joe Dituri published a safety bulletin regarding Dräger Dolphin flooding. Appearantly the current P-connectors (T52223) have larger protrusions, the original ones were flush. They had multiple loop floods (both exhalation bag/cannister and sensor p-port) as early as 2000. That was demonstrated at Dräger's US HQ (before Aqualung) where the problem was supposedly acknowledged.

The Safety Bulletin was again published in the Winter 2004 issue of Nitrox Diver, by Glenn Forrest, with the note that no recalls or replacement parts had been issued at that date. And to be extra vigilant and double-check the bag/cannister and port/sensor connectors.

Darlene Starr - DIY Diva Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc
    Are you using a stock dreager part or is it one that has the O2 injection built in. I have one right now that I have to make the indent a little deeper because it pulls out without depressing the button.
    Sure hope you didn't get too much of a cocktail
    This is the O2 injection equipped scrubber inlet spigot from Tecme. .... The one I posted some quality control issues complaints about previously.

Having just looked at it, (thanks for the tip) the depth of the retaining groove is clearly about 0.015" to 0.020" (0.4 to 0.5mm) shallower than a stock Drager retaining groove. Yours must be even less deep than mine. Talk about those QC issues.....

The P port spring is working fine, (re-examining it closely now) and I do get a good audible click when it engages. It takes a bit less push on the release button to unlock it than on a stock drager spigot, but I can not manage to get it to pull off without a good push on the release button.

As far as a cocktail goes, I'm still tea-totaling. As soon as the loop resistance got discernably different, I figured "Oh Shit" and went to OC for a few test breathes. It just tasted better, so I knew what was up and continued to the surface.

Fortunately, the inhale bag didn't flood, so the sensors are OK.

Since it really looks like the cell holder can push on this somewhat sensitive release button, I think rotating the release button 180 degrees is a good thought.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys, any additional thoughts are welcome.

Darlene

Adit: WTF do they screw these things together with! ....... They'll come loose by themselves when it is most inconvenient, but NNNoooooooooooooo, ... Don't try to get one loose when You Need it to be loose.

Maybe there's another option....

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar
    I never liked P-ports when I was homebuilding. Another problem is that they can pull free from the bag material too, for example in an over-eager positive pressure test. If you can find a better option then take it.

Or buy a KISS :)

+ Reply to Thread