+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: RB Friendly liveaboards on the Barrier Reef - Split thread

Banned marekm has a spectacular aura about marekm has a spectacular aura about marekm has a spectacular aura about marekm has a spectacular aura about marekm has a spectacular aura about marekm's Avatar

Re: RB Friendly liveaboards on the Barrier Reef - Split thread

Quote Originally Posted by sadave  View Original Post
    Getting permission for us to dive on commercially built breathers up there is gonna be hard enough.

Getting someone who is diving a homebuild, is probably pushing your luck just a little too far... :o
    Dave,
    The only thing that is pushed too far is the Qld Workplace Health and Safety legislation with its draconian approach to diving regulations.

Lance,
    Private boats seem to be the way most people dive rebreathers in Brisbane these days. Hence I do what I can to help other divers/boat owners who are pro rebreather. Thus if there is anything I can do to help you get your boat up and running (eg: post up some boat parts available only in Brisbane etc) let me know. I'm sure that once it's up and running there will be some rebreather divers keen to meet up with you in Cairns to do some diving :D

Cheers.
    -Marek

Megman armed with DeepRed opimoby is on a distinguished road opimoby is on a distinguished road opimoby's Avatar
    Cave Megalodon ,Shearwater

I had a meeting today with the work place health and safety dive inspector from Cairns today and the sense I get from him is that it is very workable regulations in regard to CCR diving in North Queensland. If anyone takes the time to actually ring them for advise you may see things in a different light.

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

Quote Originally Posted by opimoby  View Original Post
    I had a meeting today with the work place health and safety dive inspector from Cairns today and the sense I get from him is that it is very workable regulations in regard to CCR diving in North Queensland. If anyone takes the time to actually ring them for advise you may see things in a different light.
    Hey Ross,

Good news....I will call you tonight after work.

REgards,

Lance

l MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD's Avatar
    classic, sports Kiss

Azimuth, mccr azi

Quote Originally Posted by opimoby  View Original Post
    wait till you have lived through a couple of investigations by them for accidents, you will get a different opinion. Been dealing with this since the regs came out and the outcome for brisbane is that there is no tech diving (OC or CCR) taking place here any more because people do not want to go through the wringer with the department if there is an accident.

Matthew

Morgan's Mum bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sport Kiss

one of the biggest difficulties we had with implementation is when there is a mix of recreational and technical divers. i think one or the other is most effective overall but to get the numbers of tech divers together for one weekend was often difficult here. ALso the bigger the boat, the bigger the number of crew to satisfy all the required positions, the easier it is and less profit hurting as presumably you also have a larger number of clientele.
    the diving regs (in general) very much favour the economics of large boats from cairns and make life hard (not impossible) for the small operators elsewhere. and even if you don't cut corners, when the SHTF, there's very little cover as queensland has a "tourist mecca" reputation to maintain.

ALso for anyone else out there considering, keep the number of business entities that are actually running the diving to as few as possible (go ahead and have as many shelf companies as you like). the biggest headache of all in investigations for me was sorting out the relationships between dive operators (brisbane regularly two or more businesses on board supplying customers and dive staff), dive boat owners (who are not dive shop operators), who's customer it is, who's responsible for what, and who's an employee and who is a self-employed contractor. you get the picture - it gets all very messy. These things have to be untangled if they want to have a successful prosecution, so investigators spend alot of time to get that information. It seems the actual circumstances of any accident are incidental in comparison. The more straightforward, the quicker it is all sorted out. i believe some of the nonsense has been clarified by WH&S now.

to you it might seem we're all very pessimistic, but we would all dearly love for this to work. above are just some of my observations from close-up that may or may not be applicable in your circumstances.

rachel
    queensland: beautiful one day, cyclone the next. :p
    Last edited by bendomatic; 31st August 2007 at 23:58. Reason: spellin

Banned Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del's Avatar
    JJ, it rocks!

Sports KISS

Um.. count me in too, I'd love to get in the water up there with my KISS. It does seem that those who live north of the bananna curtain have had some new insights and are more accepting of newfangled death machines!

I had my IART card accepted without a comment recently!

cheers

Andy

Classic KISS Pilot Rickoz has a spectacular aura about Rickoz has a spectacular aura about Rickoz has a spectacular aura about Rickoz has a spectacular aura about Rickoz has a spectacular aura about Rickoz has a spectacular aura about Rickoz's Avatar
    Classic KISS

Diving FNQ on CCR's :D
    Sh!t You would have about 9 just from Brisy.
    Rickoz

Scuba Imports Australia Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris's Avatar
    rEVO III rMS

Inspo, Kiss, Prism, Meg, Pos

So whats the plan
    Are we setting some dates for this little Aussie , me thinks we are going to need a bigger boat

Cheers
    Chriso

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

I'll jump in here......Ross is probably still busy getting his gear ready.....and doing the tank filling math.

Ross and I are both heading out next Saturday and all going well we will have in place the footing for further Rebreather trips out of Port Douglas.

To further the cause I am going to do my Divemaster course in November and will make myself available for future trips. So hopefully this will also ease the current restrictions/limitations we are currently experiencing.

Here is to a great trip next week and many more Rebreather dives out into the Coral Sea and GBR in the not so distant future.

Regards,

Lance

RBW Member adstaa is an unknown quantity at this point adstaa's Avatar

Ross and I are working with the boats to put things in place. Ross is out next week and we are heading out to check out some other sites in the next couple of weeks. Along with the trip that Ross and Lance are checking out next week, my plan is to also run liveaboard trips out of Port Douglas that are exclusively for technical and rebreather divers. Ross has been a big help in getting things rolling to get this all started up. We have a ways to go but you should expect to hear some details in the not-too-distant future about what's happening. It's great to see there is so much interest in it.

Lance - hopefully I will get to meet you on saturday before you head out to sea. If not we should get together soon and talk shop....:)

cheers

ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast