+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ray DSV rebuild

Duvet Diver Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A's Avatar

Ray DSV rebuild

I'm hoping some of you folks can help.
    I've got a Ray DSV that's become very stiff to move. Stripping the mouthpiece down was easily acomplished, however the "normal" lubricant I have seems way too viscous . What lubricant should I use when rebuilding the 'Ray DSV?

Thanks for any help.
    Simon A

John Routley
    narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90's Avatar
    hi ya simon, there is a problem with the designe of the ray dsv that we have discused on other sites, the problem is with iner C shapped part. the gap in the slot that makes it a C is to small so when it is conpressed in the dsv barrel it is very tight add to this cold water on the barrel and you have a problem the solution is to make the the slot 1mm wider with a file or send it to me and i'll machine it for you.

hope this helps you.
    kindest regards john routley
    you know...life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
    Its about learning to dance in the rain..

Supporting Shearwater Research Products in Europe

Duvet Diver Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A's Avatar
    John,
    Cheers for that, I should be able to sort it out myself now.
    Did you get your dive in yesterday?
    The Tox box has now been dived and it worked fine. I'd have come to Stoney and dived with you yesterday except I've got an ear infection!
    Are you doing any development diving in Stoney over the winter?

Simon A

====Edit====
    Thanks, have done this and it works much better now.
    ===end edit==

"What lubricant should I use when rebuilding the 'Ray DSV?"

Molykote 111, if you go by Drägers recomendations.

/Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Danil
    "What lubricant should I use when rebuilding the 'Ray DSV?"

Molykote 111, if you go by Drägers recomendations.

/Dan.
    good, thats what I used.
    Simon A

RBW Member Woz has a spectacular aura about Woz has a spectacular aura about Woz has a spectacular aura about Woz has a spectacular aura about Woz has a spectacular aura about Woz has a spectacular aura about Woz's Avatar

Re: Ray DSV rebuild

Quick quiz on this- I've stripped, lubed and opened out the slot. If I leave the 2 circlips out, it's as smooth as anything and easy to turn and doesn't leak. However when I add the 2 circlips that push the C shaped plastic out it gets much stiffer and makes closing it a 2 handed job.

Can I safely leave the circlips out? All they seem to do is act as springs on the C section.

New Member hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca's Avatar

Had to check the DSV diagram... the Ray DSV is actually designed to have a total of 4 circlips.
    I have only ever used mine with 2 clips installed... less work to disassemble for cleaning, and never had a leak! (the 2 outer most clips are installed).

hoppyinca

Quote Originally Posted by Woz  View Original Post
    ...If I leave the 2 circlips out, it's as smooth as anything and easy to turn and doesn't leak... when I add the 2 circlips... it gets much stiffer and makes closing it a 2 handed job...

RBW Member Woz has a spectacular aura about Woz has a spectacular aura about Woz has a spectacular aura about Woz has a spectacular aura about Woz has a spectacular aura about Woz has a spectacular aura about Woz's Avatar

Yep there are 4 grooves but even with just 2 circlips installed it stiffens up beyond a "one handed" operation.

With none in at all it doesn't leak +ve or -ve and is a doddle to turn.

+ Reply to Thread