+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sprague/Teledyne Booster Pump Seals

RBW Member jeff h will become famous soon enough jeff h will become famous soon enough jeff h will become famous soon enough jeff h will become famous soon enough jeff h's Avatar

Sprague/Teledyne Booster Pump Seals

I spent the weekend diving with a guy that has mini Jetsam booster it motiviated me to get my booster in service (S86JN30).

A while ago there was group of people looking at getting some custom seals made up for these boosters. Not sure if anything came out of it. I just called Teledyne for an updated price quote. If anyone else knows of an alternate source for the seals I would be interested.

-Jeff

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Re: Sprague/Teledyne Booster Pump Seals

I'd like to know too. Last time my Sprague booster needed just an HP seal I had to buy and entire pricy overhaul kit. I'm good for several if anyone can find a suitable substitute.

RBW Member deanc will become famous soon enough deanc will become famous soon enough deanc will become famous soon enough deanc's Avatar

What diameter rod [d] and cylinder dimensions [D] are you using, and what is the groove thickness [H]. There are makes of seals, various materials, dimensions, properties, pressure ratings, etc.

I very nearly built a booster with a somewhat novel design, specified and just about ready to start machining and maybe decided against it due to high parts/labour cost.

Without costs I did look into off-the-shelf "custom" seals a fair bit.

I would now just buy a mini haskel, and drive it like I stole it! like most haskels in industry. A look inside one would be great, does anybody have dimensions? That would be much appreciated.
    Attached Images

RBW Member jeff h will become famous soon enough jeff h will become famous soon enough jeff h will become famous soon enough jeff h will become famous soon enough jeff h's Avatar

Here’s the options I found:

Original parts from Sun Source (Curtis-Wright / Sprague Distributor) 248-585-5252 ph,
    fax: 248-585-1183, ask for Lisa. Lead time is 8 wks.

1) Piston Seal P/N AO1368-1, $102.32
    2) Wear Ring P/N 90086-1, $24.40
    3) Overhaul Kit P/N 90731-11 $300.00

Custom Seals (bronze/PTFE) From Zatkoff 248-478-2400, ask for Mary P.

1) Wear Ring: GPOBO1O62-T47, 15 PIECCE MINIMUM $36.72/EA 5 TO 6 WEEKS DELIVERY
    2) Piston Ring: PVEBNB118-T46SH, 10 PIECE MINIMUM $65.72/EA 5 TO 6 WEEKS DELIVERY

I spec’d out the seal requirements from Zatkoff, please double check them before placing an order. (catalog found here: http://zatkoff.com/)

I think I’m just going to order the OE parts and be done with it.

BTW - The rings are around 7/8" I.D. x 1-1/16" OD for the seal. The width of the wear ring groove is around 0.381" (maybe 0.385" spec).

-Jeff
    Last edited by jeff h; 21st August 2007 at 19:50.

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

Hey Jeff-

Thanks for the leg work. I'll most likely order OEM as well since the distributor you cite will sell just the parts I need. The guys I wound up talking with last time absolutely *refused* to sell the seals separately and insisted the only way to get them was to buy the entire overhaul kit- which was a tad over the $300 you were quoted. I guess they smelled blood!

Ken

RBW Member oxyhacker is an unknown quantity at this point oxyhacker's Avatar

Excuse the belated reply - I just noticed this thread.

The OEM Sprague HP seal is made by Furon/St.Gobains - StG seals are easy to spot because they are often much thinner than similar seals from other suppliers (which also makes it very hard to find a substitute!).

A buddy and I tried to have some made up. St.Gobains will make seals in very small quantity, since they are lathe-turned from solid, for $40-60 each best I can recall, with a minimum of $350, or so with the price dropping to $25 or so for 20. Or at least this is what we were told. The Teledyne design was proprietary so we could not buy them, but there was a standard catalog design that was very close. When we tried to order some, though, the helpful rep told us they would be happy to custom design us one for the application, and put us in touch with an engineer who did just that, and told us our design represented a slight improvement on the older Sprague design.

Unfortunately actually buying the damn things turned out to be a lot harder. every time we tried to finalize the order we were handed over to someone new, who seemed to be no record of any previous contacts or quotes (all of which up to now had been verbal). And Teledyne didn't seem to have any one set of prices! The price kept jumping around. When we finally got a quote in writing, it was for five times as many seals as we had requested, and the price per seal was higher! And it took 2 or 3 emails each time before anyone would bother to answer. Finally they just stopped replying at all and we eventually just gave up.

Anyone who wants to give it a try is welcome to take over. I can give you the spec #, or email you the design, and , if necessary, authorize StG to share the spec with you.

If anyone is going to put together an order, from StG or anyone else, please let me so we can order a few.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff h  View Original Post
    A while ago there was group of people looking at getting some custom seals made up for these boosters. Not sure if anything came out of it. I just called Teledyne for an updated price quote. If anyone else knows of an alternate source for the seals I would be interested.

-Jeff

MEGALODON MK15.5

Folks, it’s been a while since this dusty thread has seen the light of day, but I figured those with this type booster (Sprague S86JN-30) would find the following of use.

Last month the HP seal in my O2 booster finally died after 8+ years of CCR bottle only use. The seal in my inert gas booster had died earlier and I had been forced to use the O2 booster for both duties. Boosters are identical, both O2 cleaned, with the exception that the O2 booster has the stock anodized aluminum head- obviously a no-no w/ O2- replaced by a bronze head I custom fabricated w/ stainless Swagelok check valves (see picture).

Anyway, I remembered this thread and followed up on the oem seals thru the SunSource distributor nearest me. The part number is indeed A01368-1. They were glad to sell just the seal- as stated above, previously a different company had forced me to buy an entire overhaul kit just to get the seal. Get this- price had not changed since 2006. Seals arrived in just a few days and both boosters are back on line & working great. I power them w/ shop air from a 2 stage oil free compressor that goes to 180 psi. The O2 booster filled my O2 bottles to 3500 psi, from the low bottle in my O2 bank @ 800 psi, in as short a time as I dared- not letting them get overly warm. The inert gas booster took my hoop wrap stages right to 4500 psi- their rated pressure- with no fuss at all. Darn, new seals are nice!

For those not familiar, the Teledyne Sprague S86JN-30 is a single stage 30 to 1 booster rated to 6000 psi w/ max allowed drive air input of 200 psi. The sales rep I talked to said they’re still available @ $1838 each.

http://www.barbeetesters.com/Tech/pu...P%20Manual.pdf

Ken
    Attached Images

RBW Member bad_karma will become famous soon enough bad_karma will become famous soon enough bad_karma will become famous soon enough bad_karma's Avatar
    Next Generation Rebreather!

Dolphin, LAR V, OMG C96

I have one of these gathering dust...

I'd like to overhaul it to boost O2.

Where can I source a replacement head?

-Dan

MEGALODON MK15.5

Quote Originally Posted by bad_karma  View Original Post
    I have one of these gathering dust...

I'd like to overhaul it to boost O2.

Where can I source a replacement head?

-Dan
    Don’t know of a commercial source. I machined my own from a bit of bronze rod I had sitting around.

Everything is round so machining is really easy even on the simplest of lathes. The head seals to the HP cylinder w/ just one O ring. That arrangement allows the head bolt holes to be drilled slightly oversize to compensate for any slight hole misalignment. Some small diameter (to preserve compression ratio) holes for gas passages enlarged at the ends to ¼” NPT threads for the check valves and you’re there. Check valves are off-the-shelf stainless Swagelok, rated for both forward and reverse pressures & ordered w/ O2 compatible inner bits. The new check valves were disassembled & O2 cleaned.

The rest of the O2 conversion: Totally disassembled and O2 cleaned each and every part. Reassembled using DuPont Krytox (really good stuff) for lube. Replaced the filter that ventilates the back side of the drive piston to ambient air with a sintered brass snubber (the bright brass bit in the picture) to keep things cleaner for when the HP seal eventually leaks O2. (ALL seals eventually leak!). That’s it.

Note- there was a ‘cold weather’ variant of this booster sold that has a second pipe running from the shuttle assembly to the back side of the drive cylinder. It used shop air in addition to the boosted gas pressure to drive the return stroke. That doubles drive air consumption and allows O2 to see shop air when the HP seal eventually leaks. This pipe can be easily removed. Its port on the shuttle assembly is simply plugged and the port on the back side of the drive cylinder gets the sintered brass snubber.

Ken

RBW Member bad_karma will become famous soon enough bad_karma will become famous soon enough bad_karma will become famous soon enough bad_karma's Avatar
    Next Generation Rebreather!

Dolphin, LAR V, OMG C96

Thanks!

I think I'll take the ali head down to the local machine shop and see what they can do for me.

Have some green!

-Dan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast