+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: O2ptima's Micropore Scrubber (split from HH for Meg

RBW Member Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck's Avatar
    Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by jradomski
    You may not like the inspiration but I would take it over the o2ptima in its current configuration due to the micropore scrubber, and it breathes much better than your MK 15...
    Joe,
    Do you feel that the scrubber problem is a micropore issue, or is it more of a basic design and location issue? Could it be resolved by using a loose sorb? This is not a critical review just cusrious of your opinion.
    Thanks, Andrew

RBW Member Chris Gregory is an unknown quantity at this point Chris Gregory's Avatar
    [QUOTE=jradomski]

You may not like the inspiration but I would take it over the o2ptima in its current configuration due to the micropore scrubber

Hey Joe,

Have fun in Ca. What is wrong with the Micropore scrubber? I will check to make sure I am not talking out of school but there have been some very interesting test results performed relating to both depth and duration using the cartridges in the Optima. Also ths should also bring the cost down and availability up.

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

[QUOTE=TechBlue]

You may not like the inspiration but I would take it over the o2ptima in its current configuration due to the micropore scrubber

Hey Joe,

Have fun in Ca. What is wrong with the Micropore scrubber? I will check to make sure I am not talking out of school but there have been some very interesting test results performed relating to both depth and duration using the cartridges in the Optima. Also ths should also bring the cost down and availability up.
    duration numbers I have been told are poor in my opinion, and some of the testing protocols that they did seemed a bit questionable and some clearly wrong, I don't see an issue with shallow stuff but for the bigger dives I have done I wouldn't even imagine using the cartridge in its current form..

Plus its a hell of a lot easier traveling with loose sorb...
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

RBW Member Chris Gregory is an unknown quantity at this point Chris Gregory's Avatar
    duration numbers I have been told are poor in my opinion, and some of the testing protocols that they did seemed a bit questionable and some clearly wrong, I don't see an issue with shallow stuff but for the bigger dives I have done I wouldn't even imagine using the cartridge in its current form..

Plus its a hell of a lot easier traveling with loose sorb...
    Joe,

I don't know what you mean by bigger dives but I know for a fact that the unit has been dove and tested to 300' I also don't know where you are getting your test results or methods from on the Optima because they haven't been released yet in fact they are currently underway as we speak. Once I get the clearance I will pass some of the results along but I believe it is a viable option for most people and they will be releasing a packable canister in the near future.

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by TechBlue
    Joe,

I don't know what you mean by bigger dives but I know for a fact that the unit has been dove and tested to 300' I also don't know where you are getting your test results or methods from on the Optima because they haven't been released yet in fact they are currently underway as we speak. Once I get the clearance I will pass some of the results along but I believe it is a viable option for most people and they will be releasing a packable canister in the near future.
    The numbers I was told were for the cartridge itself,and one of the ways they conducted a specific test limit was flat out wrong.. Hopefully they updated their test methods.. but last time I spoke to micropore the cart was supposed to be the same as the inspiration one and the endurance limits were not impressive at all.. I know they have been working on improving things.. but last time I saw the endurance numbers were well below a packed inspiration scrubber.. If it improves thats a good thing..

Until it can produce 3hrs at 1.6lpm at 20m, My opinion wount change.. Plus I hope they publish the scrubber results at 100m.. the last test results I was told were evaluated at 1ata...
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

The numbers I was told were for the cartridge itself,and one of the ways they conducted a specific test limit was flat out wrong.. Hopefully they updated their test methods.. but last time I spoke to micropore the cart was supposed to be the same as the inspiration one and the endurance limits were not impressive at all.. I know they have been working on improving things.. but last time I saw the endurance numbers were well below a packed inspiration scrubber.. If it improves thats a good thing..

Until it can produce 3hrs at 1.6lpm at 20m, My opinion wount change.. Plus I hope they publish the scrubber results at 100m.. the last test results I was told were evaluated at 1ata...
    The Inspiration tests have absolutely no relevence at all to the Optima testing and you are right they were sadly lacking but that is specific to the Inspo canister design and how the flow of the cartridge is affected but Micropore is also currently working on a solution for that particular issue. They will be producing results at 100m and some of the tests currently being performed include recovering a flooded scrubber and testing based on the duration of the cartridge being totally flooded for varying times.

I firmly believe that once you see the test results your opinion will definitely change for the better :) they have far exceeded your expectations

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar
    I firmly believe that once you see the test results your opinion will definitely change for the better :) they have far exceeded your expectations
    Can I entertain a guess that either a) you will buy one, or b) you will be an O2ptima instructor ?

How could anyone like the look of that unit...

Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie
    Can I entertain a guess that either a) you will buy one, or b) you will be an O2ptima instructor ?

How could anyone like the look of that unit...
    I would have to say yes to both and I'm sure that you are familiar with saying "don't knock it until you've tried it" The production model is quite different to the prototype units that were on display at some of the trade shows. but we are specifically talking about scrubber duration and performance, I would also love to pop over and do soem dives with you tho...:)

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar
    ..."don't knock it until you've tried it"...
    Fair enough, I will sit down now...

I would also love to pop over and do soem dives with you tho...:)
    Bring your O2ptima if you do.

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Wink Of the topic Oh-Tooptima

Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie
    You forgot or c) you are a retailer of Micropore. ;)

I e-mailed with Mark from Dive Rite Express a while back and he said that testing was underway (several months ago) and results varied quite a bit between adapted cannister (YBOD) and Micropore's own (Dolphin/Azi and Oh-Tooptima).

I certainly hope that he is right and that they will publish test results (preferably on the testers orginal letterhead), otherwise not many people will take them seriously. At least not for diving past rec limits, which the HH indicates the unit was designed for. Just getting rid of the 'max. depth 6 bar' sticker isn't gonna do it.

Unless they want to market the unit as a rec-only CCR. Nothing wrong with that per se, but at the size/weight it's unlikely convinient to travel with so that'll be a hard sell I believe.

Anyway, with DEMA just being 6 weeks away we should know more soon.
    Until then I agree with Joe, the 1 ata testing published so far is inadequate for diving.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast