+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Laser corrective eye surgey and diving?

Now showing as "Dean Coote" Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver's Avatar

Re: Laser corrective eye surgey and diving?

Had surgery two weeks ago.
    Consider if you really need to correct your vision, i got the operation free through Norwegian health care.. at present i regret having op !!
    Been told not to swim/dive for 3 weeks not because of pressure but because of infection.
    I can now see long distance.. but cannot read or see short distance, opposite before op .
    Will be able to get glasses in three weeks time.. ish

RBW Member trimix is on a distinguished road trimix is on a distinguished road trimix's Avatar
    ISC Megalodon COPIS

Quote Originally Posted by Numpty diver  View Original Post
    Had surgery two weeks ago.
    Consider if you really need to correct your vision, i got the operation free through Norwegian health care.. at present i regret having op !!
    Been told not to swim/dive for 3 weeks not because of pressure but because of infection.
    I can now see long distance.. but cannot read or see short distance, opposite before op .
    Will be able to get glasses in three weeks time.. ish
    Hey don't worry, Numpty
    You're in the worst of it now, it gets better from here. After about 30 days, you won't be squinting to read the monitor anymore!
    I didn't bother getting reading glasses. I can see fine now - I was in same condition you were in. Absolute agony first week. Watch out for infection.

RBW Member Padipro has a spectacular aura about Padipro has a spectacular aura about Padipro has a spectacular aura about Padipro has a spectacular aura about Padipro has a spectacular aura about Padipro has a spectacular aura about Padipro's Avatar
    None

Megalodon

I had Lasik about 6 years. I was told to stay out of the water for 6 week. Haven't had any trouble since. Best money I ever spent.

Nicholas Smith Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo's Avatar
    Megalodon

I recall a cover article in Immersed magazine on this subject some years ago. It was very disturbing because it discussed the surgery coming unzipped under pressure. I'm still not sure I feel brave enough to have my eyes nuked, but if I were to, what procedure is best suited to divers and which should I steer away from?

RBW Member Offgas is on a distinguished road Offgas is on a distinguished road Offgas's Avatar

FWIW,

The people I work for and the military won't okay Lasik, but because PRK doesn't require "cutting" it is okay'd for diving. I'll be going this route.

Best,
    Offgas

Now showing as "Dean Coote" Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver's Avatar

Just a small update on my surgery.
    I picked up an infection, possibly bad lense bandage, infection spead so that both eyes become really sore and swollen.

Had op in febuary still having problems , useing drops two three times a day.
    Eyes can be stuck or sore most mornings.
    On the + side
    Things are getting better, i can see my computers / spgs a lot clearer , long distance vision excellant .
    Still waiting for eyes to settle before having glasses to read and use p/c and read books.
    With what i know now .. i wouldnt have had this still experimental surgery.
    Im not alone, ive met many others were mistakes have been made or it just hasnt gone well .
    Think carefully please before you consider any corrective surgery.
    Dean

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by Numpty diver  View Original Post
    Just a small update on my surgery.
    I picked up an infection, possibly bad lense bandage, infection spead so that both eyes become really sore and swollen.

Had op in febuary still having problems , useing drops two three times a day.
    Eyes can be stuck or sore most mornings.
    On the + side
    Things are getting better, i can see my computers / spgs a lot clearer , long distance vision excellant .
    Still waiting for eyes to settle before having glasses to read and use p/c and read books.
    With what i know now .. i wouldnt have had this still experimental surgery.
    Im not alone, ive met many others were mistakes have been made or it just hasnt gone well .
    Think carefully please before you consider any corrective surgery.
    Dean
    Sorry for your problems. I was really feeling lonely being the only one that earlier said I would not do it over again.

I would add an additional caution for those considering it that have one eye that is more dominate that the other like myself. Be extra concerned and consider what you would do if things went wrong and you had to function in life without your good eye. Lucky for me I regressed back to what it was in my good eye before surgery and not worst.

John

My advice;
    Lots of money being made for this type of surgery, shop wisely speak to people who have had the surgery with the doctor/ machine you choose.
    Find out when the machine was serviced and when latest program was installed.
    Have one eye done at a time.
    Have operation as close as possible to where you live.
    Book taxi in advance to take you home..
    Take good quality sunglasses, light is very uncomfortable afterwards.
    All of the above are the mistakes i made, some are obvious.
    please remember you can never underestimate your own stupidity ;)
    Dean

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3