+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Laser corrective eye surgey and diving?

RBW Member Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point Campbell's Avatar
    AP Evolution

AP Inspiration Classic

Laser corrective eye surgey and diving?

Hi,

I am looking into laser corrective eye surgery and was wondering if it would have any implications on diving?

Any ideas on how long before I can dive again, are there any risks after the procedure?

If anyone has had the procedure or has any info I would appreciate it.

Thanks

John

RBW Member steevke has a spectacular aura about steevke has a spectacular aura about steevke has a spectacular aura about steevke has a spectacular aura about steevke has a spectacular aura about steevke has a spectacular aura about steevke's Avatar

Re: Laser corrective eye surgey and diving?

John,

I've had LASIK about 10 years ago, and my doctor told me not to dive for 3 weeks after the surgery, but your doctor may have a different opinion so best ask his advice.

For the rest I'm really happy with the results and would not hesitate to do it again.

Good luck

Steven

RBW Member KenStrickland is an unknown quantity at this point KenStrickland's Avatar

Hi John

I also had LASIK done about 12 years ago. I haven't had any diving-related issues and, as Steven says, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Just check with your surgeon about how long to wait before diving again - 3 weeks sounds a little on the short side, IMHO.

Cheers
    Ken

RBW Member PPA is an unknown quantity at this point PPA's Avatar

Hi

I had laser surgery 3 years ago.
    I was out of the water for 1 month.
    As i am 47 old, now i have shortseeing, so it's dificult to see the VR3 or the gauges.
    I would'nt hesitate to do it again
    Cheers
    Pedro

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

I had the procedure about 3 years ago. Doctor said to stay out for one month. It also was one month for the follow-up appointment. I was 45 and became short sighted immediately. Also, the procedure regressed within 6 months back to the same vision prior to surgery. I would not do it again.

RBW Member bad_karma will become famous soon enough bad_karma will become famous soon enough bad_karma will become famous soon enough bad_karma's Avatar
    Next Generation Rebreather!

Dolphin, LAR V, OMG C96

I had LASEK (like PRK) about 3 years ago. I was out of the water for about a month, and my vision is 20/13 now (then again I'm still young!)

-D

Hello,

I did it 7 years ago, I've been waiting for 6 weeks before diving, no problem yet...

Raph

AP Evolution

AP Inspiration Classic

Thanks for all your feedback, I going to arrange a consultation and I will find out more then but wanted a heads up before I go in.
    Looks like I'll wait till the darker months before I do it, don't want to miss 4 weeks of diving!

Thanks again,

John

New Member eyeguy is an unknown quantity at this point eyeguy's Avatar

If you are myopic, (ie nearsighted) and want to have incredible field of view as well as see your gauges or computer/consoles very well underwater, you should look into the Hydro Optix Mask: Scuba Masks by HydroOptix -- Home.
    You can tell them I sent you.
    If you do opt for surgery, you may regret that you hadn't tried this mask first because if your eyesight is perfect you would have to wear contacts to use it!
    Another issue you might want to discuss with your surgeon, is the incidence and effects of hyperoxic myopia. (Perhaps an informal survey of those that have had the procedure might be of some insight.)
    Regards,
    Gabriel

AP Evolution

AP Inspiration Classic

I am short-sighted but use a Mares X-Vision mask with perscription lenses. The mask is a nice size and the field of view is more than good enough.

I have seen the Optix mask, it makes you look like a bug! I have heard they are good but I am looking at the corrective surgery for above the surface really. When I am diving the X-Vision is brilliant and I forget I need glasses until I get to the surface, remove my mask and then I blind as anything!!!

Thanks for your feedback though.

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast