+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Tech.s to clear up fishnets entangled on a Wreck

New Member aquatiker is an unknown quantity at this point aquatiker's Avatar

Re: Tech.s to clear up fishnets entangled on a Wreck

Quote Originally Posted by fin  View Original Post
    I have practiced fishnets removal from reef many times for (you could say) private reasons. Fishermen in North Greece are so despair that prefer to lose their equipment in sallow reefs. They often destroy my macro photography underwater 'studios'. So I get pissed off and complete 3days projects to remove them. My methods are closer to maayanh but take longer since I do not have a whole group of divers.
    By a strange coincidence, these days I was asked to undertake this job for a amateur fisherman who wants to clear his 'treasure' fishing mark (covered with net that of course reduced fishies). It is impressive how much money people are willing to pay for their hobbies.
    (god, who is talking)

It is obviously a very demanding task as far as safety procs is concerned and it should never be underestimated considering depth and visiblity.
    Hello, another fellow Dolphin:)

Iīve a Greek friend (extremely good freediver), who complained about the use of explosives in Greece, that would destroy your studios, and as far as i know, the statistics say that, 80% of the fish goes to the bottom, 10% dies a few days later with internal bleedings, (bladder bursted, etc) and the other 10% are those who came straight to the surface, and what they can actually capture.

You clear fishnets in solo dives??? Risky..

I wish we had the visibility you have there my friend!

here in Portugal is very rare to have fishermen pay for recovery of their gear. Sometimes they ask a friend (diver) to recover specific items but not nets. Our viz in the North of the country can be considered similiar to the UK or France. Only a few days per year we get like 10 to 15 meters of clear water; that would be nice to work on!

RBW Member fin is on a distinguished road fin is on a distinguished road fin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aquatiker  View Original Post
    You clear fishnets in solo dives??? Risky..
    Risky? Say suicide. I did that with a friend as buddy.
    I wish we had the visibility you have there my friend!
    Thats true but I also wish we had the coast guard you have there.
    here in Portugal is very rare to have fishermen pay for recovery of their gear. Sometimes they ask a friend (diver) to recover specific items but not nets...
    you misunderstood. the fisherman pays to remove nets , to increase the fish productivity of the area and not because the net is his property.

Explosives as a fishing practice is actually a big shame for Greece and the government's sleep is also part of it. I was not sad at all, when two people explode themselves instead of a paradise 2 weeks ago. Its not only the incredible useless damage to the environment but maximum unforgivable cretinism in a period that can not excuse unawareness of the consequences.

Talking Re: Tech.s to clear up fishnets entangled on a Wreck

Quote Originally Posted by fin  View Original Post
    Risky? Say suicide. I did that with a friend as buddy.

Thats true but I also wish we had the coast guard you have there.

you misunderstood. the fisherman pays to remove nets , to increase the fish productivity of the area and not because the net is his property.

Explosives as a fishing practice is actually a big shame for Greece and the government's sleep is also part of it. I was not sad at all, when two people explode themselves instead of a paradise 2 weeks ago. Its not only the incredible useless damage to the environment but maximum unforgivable cretinism in a period that can not excuse unawareness of the consequences.

Ahh! Well you know, there are people who like to take chances, you might of been one of those; even 2 divers to clear up nets..3 with 1 standing by, or 2 working and 2 on the look out might be the safest.

Our coast-Guard is... letīs say that it has lack of means, and lack of men. Fortunatly we have a Spec. Ops related to the Navy that is excelent when it comes to drug busts and so on, but not enough for everything...

Now i got the part of the fishermen, and their reason the pay to get the nets cleared; even so i find it surprising, although we all know how the Mediterranean fauna is disapearing, so...

For those who fish with explosives and blow their asses out of the water, i clap my hands!:D sorry if this sounds to mean, and i know that they have to make a living, and i respect fishermen in general, but destroying the environment like that is particularly senseless, particularly now, that the explanations of the deterimental results of that kind of practice are now basically common sense.

Anyway, i surely would love to take a look at those waters on the next years, shame that the trip there getīs as expensive as other destinations out of Europe...

Enough said about Greece fisheries, letīs get back to net removal:D

Dear all,

The operation started, and everything is going smoothly with some adjustments per team in terms of gear used.
    A few photos from the first dives, wish us luck!

Blogs Admin / Forum Mod sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven's Avatar

Any more tips, based on your experience from removing the ghost nets?
    We (the Sydney Project) are planning to dive one of "our" deep wrecks this coming weekend. Unfortunately, the bridge area is completely covered in nets. At 120msw, this is a challenge ... Can you show us some pictures of the tools that you found work best for cutting net (old net!).

Cheerio from sunny Sydney!

Sven, my appologies for replying so late..(almost a year ago!), must of skipped your message on my mailbox!

120 msw and you and your crew wanted to clear nets?!..let me know how did it go or if you still want to go forward with that idea; iīll be happy to give you all the info that i can based on what we did.!

Quote Originally Posted by sven  View Original Post
    Any more tips, based on your experience from removing the ghost nets?
    We (the Sydney Project) are planning to dive one of "our" deep wrecks this coming weekend. Unfortunately, the bridge area is completely covered in nets. At 120msw, this is a challenge ... Can you show us some pictures of the tools that you found work best for cutting net (old net!).

Cheerio from sunny Sydney!

I was just aware of Svenīs loss throuh Kybrt; thanks for letting me know.

My regards to the Sidney Project Team, Family and Friends, i didnīt knew that accident had happen.

My appologies Sven, once again, although your not able to write us back, iīm sure your among us.

Sven, my appologies for replying so late..(almost a year ago!), must of skipped your message on my mailbox!

120 msw and you and your crew wanted to clear nets?!..let me know how did it go or if you still want to go forward with that idea; iīll be happy to give you all the info that i can based on what we did.!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3