+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Attaching Agir 6mm backplate to new Vision

New Member johnnied is an unknown quantity at this point johnnied's Avatar

Attaching Agir 6mm backplate to new Vision

OK Chaps

I need a bit of help here. I've now got a 6mm agir backplate and was told that the vision bolts would be long enough to accomodate the backplate without any modification.

Can I get it to fit? No, I can't. The bolts don't even come up flush to the inner surface of the backplate. The guys I know with this config, have the original Vision cases so I don't know if this is significant or not?

Sensible solutions please. Longer bolts, if so, from AP or Where? Or do I have to enlarge the holes in the backplate. If so how on earth do you do that (never did metalwork at school)?

Unbanned cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn's Avatar

Re: Attaching Agir 6mm backplate to new Vision

DSS makes an adapter set that goes into the evolution to make it work on a standard backplate. I have one and it works great.

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=110

or for an inspiration

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=123

Just add ice & water plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma's Avatar
    O2 Apocalypse

DIY, Inspiration Classic

Here's some pictures of my modifications. I got a 6mm plate like Agir.
    Inspiration modifications

I drilled and threaded two pieces of 5mm steel plates. I used them instead of regular nuts. This way the back plate got more support. I bought bolts long enough and cut them to correct lenght.

-Pasi

New Member Divereh is an unknown quantity at this point Divereh's Avatar

Hi John,

Iíve put the same back plate on my Vision. I think it was 40mm bolts I changed the originals for, works great. If you live in the south east of London try Eau Zone Dive Centre Home Page dive centre where I got mine from.

Quote Originally Posted by Divereh  View Original Post
    Hi John,

Iíve put the same back plate on my Vision. I think it was 40mm bolts I changed the originals for, works great. If you live in the south east of London try Eau Zone Dive Centre Home Page dive centre where I got mine from.
    Thanks Divereh

This is where I get a bit "sheepish" - I know Martin and Vicky (trained with Martin) but didn't contact them as I knew Martin was away in America and then the Black Sea teaching. I'll call Vicky in the morning. 40mm bolts sound about right. No need for steel plate reinforcement (as in Deep Sea supply) or chasing out holes to make the ap nut sit flush on the backplate?

New Member Divereh is an unknown quantity at this point Divereh's Avatar

No need for steel plate reinforcement (as in Deep Sea supply) or chasing out holes to make the ap nut sit flush on the backplate?[/quote]

Nope none of that, when I changed it I just took the original AP ones out and put the new ones straight in.

Quote Originally Posted by Divereh  View Original Post
    No need for steel plate reinforcement (as in Deep Sea supply) or chasing out holes to make the ap nut sit flush on the backplate?
    Nope none of that, when I changed it I just took the original AP ones out and put the new ones straight in.[/quote]

Great! So just one more (albeit small) purchase between me and weightbelt/weightpouch -free diving in the UK. Thanks for your help. John

Quote Originally Posted by cramerdn  View Original Post
    DSS makes an adapter set that goes into the evolution to make it work on a standard backplate. I have one and it works great.

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=110

or for an inspiration

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=123
    Thanks for the tip - looks good, but on balance I'll probably opt for the local solution

Tobin George cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52's Avatar

The 11 ga (3mm) stainless plates used in the DSS adapters are not intended as reinforcements.

The are tapped to accept the through bolts and function as low profile nuts.

These tapped plates make the through bolts "Captive" and allow the thumbwheels that retain the BC and Back plate to be removed without having to remove the scrubber.

This a great convenience when tearing down the unit. By removing two thumbwheels the backplate and harness, and CL's and BC all come right off the unit.

Tobin

Quote Originally Posted by cool_hardware52  View Original Post
    The 11 ga (3mm) stainless plates used in the DSS adapters are not intended as reinforcements.

The are tapped to accept the through bolts and function as low profile nuts.

These tapped plates make the through bolts "Captive" and allow the thumbwheels that retain the BC and Back plate to be removed without having to remove the scrubber.

This a great convenience when tearing down the unit. By removing two thumbwheels the backplate and harness, and CL's and BC all come right off the unit.

Tobin
    Ah! Now I'm beginning to understand.

What length are the bolts ie long enough for a 6mm plate + Thumbwheel?

Does this tapped plate clear the retaining clips for the carrying handle on the unit?

If I were to order, could you clarify if Inspirationas opposed to Evolution
    option is correct for the Inspiration Vision? (sounds obvious, but there are some spare parts from Ambient Pressure that are catalogued as "Evolution" when they are suitable for Vision Inspo).

Thanks Tobin

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast