+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Whats this then?

RBW Writer Heavy Breather is an unknown quantity at this point Heavy Breather's Avatar

Re: Whats this then?

My idea of what it might be is: a base to a pedistal stove.
    Looks to me, to be an add on feature to a galley or stateroom.
    Note:
    • The cast iron base and screw down decorative nuts, The hold down bolts have holes in four corners for using lag bolts to screw to the wooden deck.
    • The thin metal wall coming off near the top of the pedistal might be the side of the barrel.
    • The side door to the stove would be made from cast too. It would be bolted on to the side of the barrel, positioned low in the side of stove and would have a built in grill to allow for draft.
    • Flat cast iron top with loading door and stack vent out the back.
    It might be too short to be much use of as a binnacle as you would have to kneel or stoop way over to see. Unless some how it was mounted on a bench. Most binnacles Iv'e seen are free standing devices. Seems to me I saw something like this somewhere.
    Hmm. Something like a pot bellied stove, but insead of four cast iron legs it has this type of base. What do you all think?
    HB

Brent - Narked at 90
    divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld's Avatar
    Deep Pursuit or a Camelion

and 11 others inc. a UT-240

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Breather  View Original Post
    My idea of what it might be is: a base to a pedistal stove.
    Looks to me, to be an add on feature to a galley or stateroom.
    Note:
    • The cast iron base and screw down decorative nuts, The hold down bolts have holes in four corners for using lag bolts to screw to the wooden deck.
    • The thin metal wall coming off near the top of the pedistal might be the side of the barrel.
    • The side door to the stove would be made from cast too. It would be bolted on to the side of the barrel, positioned low in the side of stove and would have a built in grill to allow for draft.
    • Flat cast iron top with loading door and stack vent out the back.
    It might be too short to be much use of as a binnacle as you would have to kneel or stoop way over to see. Unless some how it was mounted on a bench. Most binnacles Iv'e seen are free standing devices. Seems to me I saw something like this somewhere.
    Hmm. Something like a pot bellied stove, but insead of four cast iron legs it has this type of base. What do you all think?
    HB

Its made of bronze if that's any help?
    Copying skips understanding. Understanding is how you grow. You have to understand why something works or why something is how it is. When you copy it, you miss that. WWW.NARKEDAT90.COM
    www.puwer.co.uk PUWER and Machinery CE Marking www.ce-eu.com

RBW Writer Heavy Breather is an unknown quantity at this point Heavy Breather's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by divetheworld  View Original Post
    Its made of bronze if that's any help?
    I had some more looks at it and I still think it's a small pedistal type Pot Belly Stove.(90% sure). I found several nearly like it at different online antique stores.
    The fact that it's made of bronze just tells that it is a high end piece. Some were made with silver or brass decorative fittings. The stove I rebuilt had chromed boot dryers on the sides near the floor.
    I also notice in the first photo there is a grill of some sort. That might be the damper shield that fits onto the side door.
    If you go back to the same spot you might find the side door and door frame nearby.
    Good hunting.
    HB
    Last edited by Heavy Breather; 22nd January 2008 at 03:53.

CK#69 David Pye is a jewel in the rough David Pye is a jewel in the rough David Pye is a jewel in the rough David Pye is a jewel in the rough David Pye is a jewel in the rough David Pye is a jewel in the rough David Pye is a jewel in the rough David Pye is a jewel in the rough David Pye's Avatar

To me, though I have no experience of things, and admit it happily , it looks like it would have been a globe light, but I don't know what kind of vessel it came off and whether it would have had such a luxury.

Like, a glass frosted globe would have sat on top of it, either candle or oil-lamp providing the internal illumination.

Brent - Narked at 90
    divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld's Avatar

The wreck hasnt been accurately named yet, it only has a nickname.
    It was a turn of the century cargo vessel of about 2000t. Has two large boilers and a single screw. This artifact was from the bow area.

I think you guys are right, probably not for a compass. It would be nice to find out what though. Too attactive to not want to know.
    Copying skips understanding. Understanding is how you grow. You have to understand why something works or why something is how it is. When you copy it, you miss that. WWW.NARKEDAT90.COM

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    It might help to know what era the wreck was from. 19th century I would guess lamp base.
    Dived the wreck which the unknown item came from again today, I found a Virol bottle food reserve and this type of bottle was only made between 1890 and 1920. My guess First world war casualty. The wreck is called the phospherous wreck "not actual name" due to large amounts of the stuff on the wreck. The wreck is rather large, poss Cargo ship. Cheers Yoda!

RBW Member wreckdiv is an unknown quantity at this point wreckdiv's Avatar
    Hammerhead

Optima

Yoda - Maybe it's just me, but I am having a bit of difficulty figuring out what the scale of this thing is. What are the L & H dimensions on the base? - Karen

Brent - Narked at 90

Quote Originally Posted by wreckdiv  View Original Post
    Yoda - Maybe it's just me, but I am having a bit of difficulty figuring out what the scale of this thing is. What are the L & H dimensions on the base? - Karen
    Its about 12"-14" square on the base.

I finished it once, but.. PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Inspiration Classic

It looks like what I used to tell my wife was "treasure from the bottom of the sea", and she used to say "Oh, more crap for the garage then...."

RBW Member wreckdiv is an unknown quantity at this point wreckdiv's Avatar
    Hammerhead

Optima

The EC mid-Atlantic term for that stuff your wife hates is "leaverite"

Leav-er-rite...on the bottom where you found it - its a piece of junk.

However - this is a nice piece of "spig" and definitely not leaverite.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2