+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Whats this then?

Brent - Narked at 90
    divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld's Avatar
    Deep Pursuit or a Camelion

and 11 others inc. a UT-240

Whats this then?

Dragged it off a wreck today. Looks like a compass binnacle to me. Was attached to wood structure.
    Any guesses?
    Attached Images
    Copying skips understanding. Understanding is how you grow. You have to understand why something works or why something is how it is. When you copy it, you miss that. WWW.NARKEDAT90.COM
    www.puwer.co.uk PUWER and Machinery CE Marking www.ce-eu.com

John Routley
    narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90's Avatar

Re: Whats this then?

Quote Originally Posted by divetheworld  View Original Post
    Dragged it off a wreck today. Looks like a compass binnacle to me. Was attached to wood structure.
    Any guesses?
    lol answer your phone when i ring mate!!
    john
    you know...life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
    Its about learning to dance in the rain..

Supporting Shearwater Research Products in Europe

Any guesses?
    Looks like it could be a light fitting that would hang from a ceiling?

Brent - Narked at 90
    divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian "YODA" Matthewman  View Original Post

Welcome to the Board Master Yoda!

Allow me to introduce my good friend Brian.
    One of the most capable TX CCR divers I know. Brian is a crash test dummy, underwater salvage expert and generally the guy who gets me out of the sh1t underwater when we're testing prototype equipment.

Welcome to the boards Brian.

Brent
    Last edited by divetheworld; 18th August 2007 at 07:45.
    Copying skips understanding. Understanding is how you grow. You have to understand why something works or why something is how it is. When you copy it, you miss that. WWW.NARKEDAT90.COM

Morgan's Mum bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sport Kiss

looks like a binnacle to me with those ball things that correct for magnetic interference. nice find anyway.
    rachel

RBW Member Nemo1957 is an unknown quantity at this point Nemo1957's Avatar
    Optima

The balls in the corners have holes in them as though a small railing went around the base. Notice that the holes are set at 90 degree angles to each other on each ball. This is most noticable in the one on the back right corner of the image. If this was a binnacle base it would have had to been firmly attached to the ship to keep it aligned with the keel. This looks like it was sitting on something and was a disply base for something sitting on top of it.

John Routley
    narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian "YODA" Matthewman  View Original Post

Hi brian, we have never met yet but i here about you lot so much...welcome the the mad house, and im sure we will meet some time soon.
    kind regards john routley
    you know...life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
    Its about learning to dance in the rain..

Supporting Shearwater Research Products in Europe

Brent - Narked at 90

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo1957  View Original Post
    The balls in the corners have holes in them as though a small railing went around the base. Notice that the holes are set at 90 degree angles to each other on each ball. This is most noticable in the one on the back right corner of the image. If this was a binnacle base it would have had to been firmly attached to the ship to keep it aligned with the keel. This looks like it was sitting on something and was a disply base for something sitting on top of it.
    Got some more pics from other angles. Hope it helps.
    Attached Images

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

It might help to know what era the wreck was from. 19th century I would guess lamp base.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Any guesses?
    Dived the wreck which the unknown item came from again today, I found a Virol bottle food reserve and this type of bottle was only made between 1890 and 1920. My guess First world war casualty. The wreck is called the phospherous wreck "not actual name" due to large amounts of the stuff on the wreck. The wreck is rather large, poss Cargo ship. Cheers Yoda!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast