+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Vision vs. Optima

RBW Member Spareparts06 is an unknown quantity at this point Spareparts06's Avatar

Vision vs. Optima

I am new to the RB wourld having only recenty thought about buying one. I have debated on which unit I should choose, I think I have narrowed it down to Two the Inspiration Vision and the Optima. I would like others input on each unit, Part of the reasion I have choosen each is because I work at a shop that sells Optimas and there Is a shop down the way that sells Silent diving systems. I like the integrated deco computers.
    thx for all the advise

RBW Member edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

Re: Vision vs. Optima

I feel your pain brother. I was in the same predicament until 2 weeks ago when I made a decision.

Every day, I was changing my opinion. One day it was the O2ptima and the next day I would go back to the Evolution after reading a post. The next day, another post would bring me back to the O2ptima. And so on and so forth.

I concluded that whichever I bought, I would be happy with. They both have quirks and they both have interesting differentiators (EAC, Temp stick, Dive logging computers, dual deco computers, shell, soft back, tank choices, harness, ...).

I am assuming we'll need to learn a bit more about you and what kind of diving you want to do with your Rebreather before we can advise you).

Ian Martin scubanimal will become famous soon enough scubanimal will become famous soon enough scubanimal will become famous soon enough scubanimal will become famous soon enough scubanimal's Avatar
    rEvo, Vision Inspo, Mark VI

Dolphin,Optima

I was in that same position a year ago, now I own one of each (had to sell my other toys to do that though).

They both have pros and cons, it really depends on how you intend to use them, your diving profiles, and a lot on your personal preferences. Both are a very substantial investments, and I would like to suggest you take the time and expense to travel to one the events that allows you to try each of them. Most of the day long workshops have both Optimas and Inspirations/Evolutions.

Another odd consideration is to figure out who you are going to dive with. Having similar units can be a benefit if you wish to order supplies to say nothing of obvious understanding of the unit. Plus being able to touch and feel a unit will help you determine if you have the patience and anal-retentiveness to pack a scrubber and perform the required maintenance.

I would also like to suggest you seek out and find who you would take your training with should you decide on either of these, you really want a top-drawer instructor. A few folks on this board I think are capable of diving almost anything anywhere with little or no training, but not all. Many of us need and seek out extensive and detailed training.

Good luck, figure out what type of diving you plan to do for the next five years and it'll help you decide.

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

I echo what has been stated above. Having shops for each near you is a big plus but should not be the deciding factor. There are several factors to consider in making your decision.

I discuss some of your topics in my article, "Transition to Rebreather Diving," in the recent issue of Advanced Diver Magazine. You may find this article helpful in reaching your decision.

RBW Member sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330's Avatar
    Who cares

A few

Buy a Meg and be done with it.:D Sorry had to do it.

Scott

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sensor330  View Original Post
    Buy a Meg and be done with it.:D
    Damn! The Meg Mob has assimilated you too... :)

New Member Lilou6 is on a distinguished road Lilou6 is on a distinguished road Lilou6's Avatar

Hi,

With the new hammerhead version and the option of the deco in the secondary, i think the optima is a better choice :)

Best regards

Lilian

Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

It seems to me that it comes down to the temp stick vs the EAC. both the optima and vision inspo are very capable rebreathers, both have the advantages and inherent vulnerabilities of eCCR's. I have no idea what your needs or priorities are.

i have very much enjoyed the vision electronics on my evolution. The temp stick is very nice, the rest of the electronics are quite sophisticated.

The optima will come with the latest version of the hammerhead electronics, which certainly also has it's devoted following... and two new handsets that appear to be fully cabable of being used as a primary for deco and set point (but still one common solenoid).

If the expense of the EAC and the fact that you can not currently use granular sorb with it doesn't turn you off then it's a harder call.

the meg is a very different beast altogether... a beaty in it's own right but built with very different specs. maybe better for you down the line if you get to the point where you are not satisfied with a stock set up and want to create a customized combination of components to your own particular specifications.

tell us more what you want to do with your rebreather and maybe we can get more specific in our feedback.

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gill Envy  View Original Post
    ...and two new handsets that appear to be fully cabable of being used as a primary for deco and set point (but still one common solenoid)...
    The way I understood is the new HH secondary is not a controller (not link to solenoid), it just compute the deco as back-up for manual injection.

RBW Member sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330's Avatar
    Who cares

A few

Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie  View Original Post
    Damn! The Meg Mob has assimilated you too... :)
    Yes, I have indeed been assimilated.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast