+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Right CCR for starting on?

New Member scuba_g is an unknown quantity at this point scuba_g's Avatar

The Right CCR for starting on?

Hi:
    After a couple of years pondering the move from OC, Ive finally made the decision to go CCR. But the eternal question which most likey hounds us "CCR newbies" is what unit to choose! Like a minefield, Ive carefully stepped through forum after forum and from manufacturer to Instructional site and so far have all my limbs! The questions Ive asked and the responses Ive got, have opened my eyes to the search for a reliable and safe unit, but like a farmer coming into the house after a long day in the fields, Ive had to kick alot of sh*t of my virtual boots and see what are the hard facts on the systems and the realistic pro's and con's. I know some experienced CCR divers are sponsored and also expeditions the same, and that some work and research for certain manufacturers, and/or teach specific units. Im looking to find out what unit would suit someone firstly coming into the realm of CCR and who like deep wreck and in the near future, using a unit for caving? Im also a big block, 6ft 6 and 22st, so the Evo is out of question! Any advice is appreciated and heres to seeing what nugets of wisdom are dropped into my hand!

Cheers
    GC

not RBW staff. EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sports kiss, dolphin

Re: The Right CCR for starting on?

Quote Originally Posted by scuba_g  View Original Post
    6ft 6 and 22st
    Trident class? comes with handy missiles for passing squeezes :D

What sort of caving are you talking about, sumping, or tourist style?

Cave diving old bean, the touristy stuff would look strange with me there, huddled with Japanese and German tourists with a leaflet on sump erosion and breathing from a Meg or the like:D Will be diving around West Coast of Ireland, some tasty caves there, only the sheep to annoy you:p

RBW Member Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy's Avatar

If you are really not sure find a way to become sure or take the plunge...
    I took a hybrid approach I guess. I didn't buy a new breather and decided not all money on the course would be lost if I decided to go in another direction...
    With a calculated loss of some 700 euro on breather and course it became something of an acceptable risk.
    With respect to your arguing for not a rEvo I can only say try one. If I can dive a SK then you should be able to fit into a rEvo....

Edit: Have to admit though that trying is pointless if you can't compare it to another one as you'll only feel stupid for falling face down on the pool bottom as you can't control your bouyancy :)
    Last edited by Dutchy; 25th June 2007 at 13:00.

RBW Member Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles's Avatar

The right CCR for you is largely up to you. You can get a good look at most of the available ones here on RBW. Go for the one you fancy the most.

As only 1 out of a total of 2 CCR divers in Borneo, I try to push RB to the 100's of OC 'ers, without much luck.

I'm comfortable suggesting mCCR, although I am satisfied with my own eCCR. In spite of my best efforts, I am a klutz and I need things that can take my unintended abuse.

Research your options. It is a good learning experience. Good luck on your eventual choice:) .

for a world of water OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity's Avatar
    homebuild/custom

I have dived several..Inspiration, CCR2000, Dolphin (SCR & CCR), but after a first hand look at the rEVO...this would be my purchase if I were buying another unit. Very streamline and compact. Very capable unit. Very well built

hmmm...maybe I'll buy one after all!

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchy  View Original Post
    With respect to your arguing for not a rEvo I can only say try one. If I can dive a SK then you should be able to fit into a rEvo....
    He said Evo not rEvo, both are probably abit on the small side for that matter, in fact judging by your stats all rebreathers are going to seems pretty small!!!

What you need to decide is not "which rebreather" but "which type"

So you want a CCR (You've already discounted SCR then)

Next choice is ECCR or MCCR Any preference?

Next is Geography, do you "need" CE rated unit or not?

Now another Geography question, do you want a unit built in your country, in your continent or are you happy sending parts back and forth across the globe?

To put that in context, I wanted MCCR, not concerned with CE rating and happy to post internationally or fix it myself.... Ended up with a Classic KISS (Also was less choice 2-3years ago)

Best of luck choosing, narrow it down to 2 units maybe then come back with more questions in an either/or stylee.

BEN

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Field  View Original Post
    He said Evo not rEvo, both are probably abit on the small side for that matter, in fact judging by your stats all rebreathers are going to seems pretty small!!!
    the standard rEvo is very compact and streamlined, but not short, and that's what counts
    the mini rEvo is indeed shorter

for extreem tall people, we could mount the extendable backplate on a standard rEvo, so that the weight still rests on you butt, but i have never seen a need for such a long rEvo

paul
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

Thanks for all the info guys, the old noggin is starting to vent steam to allow the CCR pressure point brain cells vent off! the MCCR and ECCR is something I still am not 100% done on, because some divers have used both, as said, its then down to picking which unit suits me and go with the flow. Ill keep you posted on what system I choose, if its a good one Ill post soon, if I made a bad choice, keep the eye on the obituaries in the Daily Spew, for the respect of my mates Ill get cremated, lugging a box with me in it just wouldnt be right :)

RBW Member Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Field  View Original Post
    He said Evo not rEvo,...
    Where's the hit myself with a hammer on the head icon?? Must be another forum I guess....