+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: checking mouth piece integrity

checking mouth piece integrity

Hi all,
    Yesterday I entered the water, at 10m I heard a gorgeling, as I had successfully did the negative and positive pressure test I went on a bit, but switched to OC one minute later.
    The mouth piece was punctured, and it was not possible to realize it doing the pressure test because when we do it we suck or blow in the dsv and then shut the dsv making it impossible to realize if the mounth piece is punctured or not !!!
    So check you mouth piece integrity and perform long enough bubble and breathing test at shalow depth befor diving deep .
    god even after years of ccr we all still learn....
    regards
    jean mi

Staying Silent! Mostly... Silent is a name known to all Silent is a name known to all Silent is a name known to all Silent is a name known to all Silent is a name known to all Silent is a name known to all Silent is a name known to all Silent is a name known to all Silent is a name known to all Silent is a name known to all Silent is a name known to all Silent's Avatar

Re: checking mouth piece integrity

On both my Meg & Boris course I was taught to suck and blow through the mouthpiece with the dsv closed to check for exactly this kind of failure or to see if the cable tie holding it on had come loose.

Anyway glad to hear you came out of it unharmed.

Stéphane Acounis Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane's Avatar
    rEvo3 rMS

rEvo2 HH, rEvo1

Quote Originally Posted by Silent  View Original Post
    On both my Meg & Boris course I was taught to suck and blow through the mouthpiece with the dsv closed to check for exactly this kind of failure or to see if the cable tie holding it on had come loose.

Anyway glad to hear you came out of it unharmed.
    Hi,

On a Ray DSV this is not possible because there is a hole to blow water off before opening it.
    So this test can be achieved when air was sucked and mouth still on the mouthpiece, just hold on for a while and listen for any noise.

Steve C UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve's Avatar

The check won't work on an Inspiration either...air will escape out of the bottom of the DSV unless you block the outlet with a finger.

So ..on a Meg how do you clear the mouthpiece when going back on the loop under water?

Steve

RBW Member Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UKSteve  View Original Post
    The check won't work on an Inspiration either...air will escape out of the bottom of the DSV unless you block the outlet with a finger.

So ..on a Meg how do you clear the mouthpiece when going back on the loop under water?

Steve
    Same/similiar thing. When you blow, there's a small hole out the bottom.

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

I think most if not all dsvs have a small flush hole - I just stick my finger over the hole when sucking/blowing to check the mouthbite...well not on my boris seeing as mine doesnt have a mouthbite :D

Steve C UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike  View Original Post
    well not on my boris seeing as mine doesnt have a mouthbite :D
    Lol..I guess you breath in hard and if your eyeballs pop out of their sockets its a pass?

Steve

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UKSteve  View Original Post
    Lol..I guess you breath in hard and if your eyeballs pop out of their sockets its a pass?

Steve

that reminds me of a girl I used to know :D

Custom Title Allowed! Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef's Avatar

It is checked as part of the kit assembly, surely?

One way valves in, hoses on, check the flow and seal of the one way valves by placing the hoses against your cheek [or hand if you have a beard] and blow and suck. Any mouthpiece problems will show as a leak.

Then the hoses are assembled to the rest of the unit for the pos and neg tests.

Good point.... actually I do that check every time I install the front loop... and indeed it would show up problems with the mouthpiece...

Steve

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast