+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trip Report: Spiegel Grove CCR Wreck Dive 06/23/2007

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

Trip Report: Spiegel Grove CCR Wreck Dive 06/23/2007

It is a beautiful Summer day in South Florida, and I am headed to Key Largo to meet up for a CCR dive on the Spiegel Grove. In our group today, three Optimas and two Megs. Tom was to have a student dive today. However, the student had some gear issues and was not able to make the trip. So, we are going to have a fun dive in our CCR group.

Other than some high clouds in the sky, the conditions are pretty good: flat seas, mild current, and good visibility (nearly 60 feet). Our plan is to do one dive, having a bottom time of 50 minutes to an hour and an average depth of about 110 feet or so, and then to finish up the dive in about 80 to 90 minutes after completing decompression.

It sure was nice to make my way to the line without having to fight the usual current found on this wreck. I make it to the bottom first, and the rest of the group is right behind. If only Steve had told me that he would be bringing his scooter!

After taking an extra minute to adjust my gear, I catch up with the group inside the larger opening, and cruise up and down the ship's interior where I have scootered several times before. Unfortunately, Peter's primary handset floods (he is testing out one of the prototypes of the new sets that should be coming out shortly), so he signals us that he is going to surface. We wait to make sure he makes it back to the ascent line and starts his ascent before continuing with our dive.

We head down a hallway leading to the ship's interior, and we spend our hour exploring the ship's innards. When we are almost ready to ascend, I am a little embarrassed when I emerge from the wreck to find Tom laughing and signaling me that my line from my reel caught on something inside, leaving a line trailing into the wreck behind me. I end out having to go back into the wreck to retrieve the end as he reels the line in from the outside.

After our ascent, our day ends by having two dolphins surfing our boat wake for a good two miles or so as we return to dock. We have a nice dinner and chat at the Buzzard's Roost, and then I hit the road for home.

What a great dive! What a great day!

swims in fishes toilets vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr's Avatar

Re: Trip Report: Spiegel Grove CCR Wreck Dive 06/23/2007

Dang...sorry I missed it

RBW Member mriopel is an unknown quantity at this point mriopel's Avatar

wish I new about that trip I was down there for a few days

Earning the green stuff.. webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead's Avatar

Tom as in Tom Mount? If so, great to hear he's back in the water. Also good to hear the Grove is open w/out any new/crazy rules.

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mriopel  View Original Post
    wish I new about that trip I was down there for a few days
    I posted it on June 19, which was when I found out it was a go. Please check the threads often as we have trips almost every weekend (and then some).

Quote Originally Posted by webhead  View Original Post
    Tom as in Tom Mount? If so, great to hear he's back in the water. Also good to hear the Grove is open w/out any new/crazy rules.
    He is back in the water and doing great. Yes, we were able to dive without restrictions. We did one long dive with an 80 or so minute run time.

+ Reply to Thread