+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hemispherical scrubber

New Member Auto Matic is on a distinguished road Auto Matic is on a distinguished road Auto Matic's Avatar

hemispherical scrubber

Take $5 of parts, combine with kitchen scissors, sharpie marker, soldering pen and hot glue gun and bingo! Hemispherical micro scrubber.
    The plastic lid was given “tooth” with the soldering pen before laying down a ring of hot glue. This was then stitched through to the other side with the same tool. Then additional hot glue applied to both sides and forced through the screen. The hot glues flexibility matches well with the lid. It is a solid assembly. I threw it. Nothing budged. I will try a filled with something water soluble drop test soon. It is airtight. I haven’t got to the mounting of the counter lung or o2 port, yet.
    I was planning on packing it with 8-12 to the point of minor distension, thereby assuring it stays packed, possibly using a wad of something under the screw lid. How does the board feel about me finding the weight of the sorb, guessing the duration and then doing a supervised couch dive till headache/symptoms/passing out?
    This alpha version is a couch testing rig for fun. I would like to rig a spit trap and devise a tighter fitting scrubber housing. I like having no moving parts and very little dead space. I imagine a harness for an organic respirator or cartridge gas mask would work well.
    Has anyone tried a hemispherical or spherical scrubber? Axial -> Radial -> Hemispherical/spherical? Retaining the heat of reaction, w.o.b., sheer niftiness…
    So what do you think?
    Attached Images

Born Again Diver! Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w's Avatar
    Kiss, JJ

Ray, APOC, rEvo

Re: hemispherical scrubber

Hmm, Interesting!

Dave

Still Learning Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Matic  View Original Post
    Take $5 of parts, combine with kitchen scissors, sharpie marker, soldering pen and hot glue gun and bingo! Hemispherical micro scrubber.
    The plastic lid was given “tooth” with the soldering pen before laying down a ring of hot glue. This was then stitched through to the other side with the same tool. Then additional hot glue applied to both sides and forced through the screen. The hot glues flexibility matches well with the lid. It is a solid assembly. I threw it. Nothing budged. I will try a filled with something water soluble drop test soon. It is airtight. I haven’t got to the mounting of the counter lung or o2 port, yet.
    I was planning on packing it with 8-12 to the point of minor distension, thereby assuring it stays packed, possibly using a wad of something under the screw lid. How does the board feel about me finding the weight of the sorb, guessing the duration and then doing a supervised couch dive till headache/symptoms/passing out?

This alpha version is a couch testing rig for fun. I would like to rig a spit trap and devise a tighter fitting scrubber housing. I like having no moving parts and very little dead space. I imagine a harness for an organic respirator or cartridge gas mask would work well.
    Has anyone tried a hemispherical or spherical scrubber? Axial -> Radial -> Hemispherical/spherical? Retaining the heat of reaction, w.o.b., sheer niftiness…
    So what do you think?

What I think is that I hate you. I have been staring at those damned things for months trying to work it out in my head before I gave it a try. Nice job. I had already calculated the surface area and your work of breathing will be great.

Tom

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

So what do you think?
    find a good filling method, then some spring loading to prevent channeling, and off for a testdive
    paul
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

Chris Miller undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o's Avatar
    Dolphin (Atlantis)

IDA-71

I would like to rig a spit trap and
    So what do you think?
    Spit trap? Stay with the theme and use a kitchen sponge - nice work - have some green!

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON

IDA71 IDA64 AKA60 BMR500 RGUFM

[quote=Auto Matic;121633
    So what do you think?[/quote]

Hot glue....Sorb..... exothermic reaction....... :p

New Member Auto Matic is on a distinguished road Auto Matic is on a distinguished road Auto Matic's Avatar

I will try a couple things to keep the sorb compacted. Packing it to the "tight as a tick" stage was my first guess, with wedging something under that screw on lid coming second. The plastic is flexible, as well as the colander mesh. Both will provide compacting force.
    I will give it a run and see how warm it gets. To tell the truth, I didn't really think of it since the scrubber is small and the glue is only flowing at high temps. That's what this forum is for, right? Gracias carnal!. The beta rig will have the parts stitched with mono leader and sealed with rtv. Any problems with rtv? Any better sealants? I have patched intake manifolds and valve covers with rtv and it has worked, sort of.
    If I get one to the diving stage will I receive my invitation to the Tom Rose Clever Monkey Award Banquet?

SiegeEngine II Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon's Avatar

Smile Re: hemispherical scrubber

Fantastic! Could you make two and chest mount them?
    Last edited by Mdemon; 22nd June 2007 at 12:11. Reason: <snigger>

Brent - Narked at 90
    divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld's Avatar
    Deep Pursuit or a Camelion

and 11 others inc. a UT-240

Quote Originally Posted by Mdemon  View Original Post
    Fantastic! Could you make two and chest mount them?
    You are my hero.
    Copying skips understanding. Understanding is how you grow. You have to understand why something works or why something is how it is. When you copy it, you miss that. WWW.NARKEDAT90.COM
    www.puwer.co.uk PUWER and Machinery CE Marking www.ce-eu.com

For trim reasons I had to belt mount it. I heard, "Check out the unit on that mexican!" for the first time ever at the beach ;)