+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trip Report: Doc Demilly Wreck and Ultra Freeze Wreck, Miami, Florida 06/16/2007

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

Trip Report: Doc Demilly Wreck and Ultra Freeze Wreck, Miami, Florida 06/16/2007

After previous postponement of our trip to dive the Doc, the seas are predicted to be acceptable to make our dives, and everyone gears up the Big Com Ocean for our departure. As we haul our gear aboard the dive boat, a light rain is falling on Miami, and we hope that squalls won't cause any delays in the two hour trip to the dive site. There are at ten CCRs (out of 21 spots) on the boat for this trip, seven of which are O2ptima's, with there being one KISS and two Megs.

When we arrive on site, we are delighted to find that there is only a light current, a real break since this area usually lies close to the Gulfstream, and the currents can run at a blistering speed here frequently. Since Rob is using Air for diluent (I am using 10/50), our plan is to stay at about 140 feet or so for the dive, which should give us a good overview of the wreck, which rests in a depth of about 155 feet.

While the visibility was just above average, perhaps 50 to 60 feet or so, what we see on this dive was pretty amazing. There are several pairs of goliath grouper swimming all over this wreck. One, not being able to tell what kind of fish a CCR diver is, thumps us and swims away as we move in to check it out.

Up to five eagle rays at a time pass by us as Rob and I pass up and down the wreck site. We see other rays burried in the sand just off of the structure, and some impressions of the ones that had been occupying the sand "angels" in some of the other sandy spots.

The wreck has some amazing, colorful growth on it, and Rob and I shine our lights on the colorful coral formations that have taken root all over the wreck. We do some limited penetration down one of the larger passages. What a great dive site!

All too soon, it is time for us to ascend. We make our decompression stops without incident, and we climb aboard the boat for the trip to our next destination, the Deep Freeze.

When we arrive at this site, there is a pretty constant downpour, and we see lightning off in the distance. So, this makes our entry a little more worrysome, and some divers decide not to make the second dive.

My Optima ended out falling off the bench seat to the floor during our trip from the first site to the second. The fall was not particularly hard since the bungees that were holding it onto the rack partially prevent the fall. After checking things over and seeing that everything was fine, entered the water and descended to the wreck, where we explored for about 40 minutes.

Apparently, the jolt from the fall before the dive caused my computer to reboot, which I did not notice until I was in the middle of my decompression ascent from this dive. That was the first time I noticed the computer screen showing air, instead of Trimix 10/50, as my diluent. Fortunately, I had prepared a set of backup tables before making this dive. So, I did some extrapolation to come up with a decompression schedule based off of my tables.

Other than the minor hitch on this second dive, we had some fantastic diving this day. I am looking forward to diving the Doc again soon!

Randy Thornton Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict's Avatar
    Hammerhead Sentinel Evolution

Optima Inspiration Prism 2

Re: Trip Report: Doc Demilly Wreck and Ultra Freeze Wreck, Miami, Florida 06/16/2007

Thanks for the report ScubaDad. Sounds like some beautiful dives. Just curious about your choice of dil. 10/50 sounds a little lean for the depth. Was this just left over from another dive?

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

Re: Trip Report: Doc Demilly Wreck and Ultra Freeze Wreck, Miami, Florida 06/16/2007

Okay, who put you up to asking this? (I have recently had this same discussion with some others. ) The bottom there is about 155, and this is a convenient mix that will work for me over a few dive outings in various ranges. Since I have two sets of tanks, I will use air dil in one, and then I use this for dives once I get to trimix ranges.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Thanks for the report Howard.

Interesting about the HH reverting to air. I often had to switch back to mix a couple of times on the bottom but never noticed the rebooting???. Only happened on one unit. Usually a couple of goes at insisting i was on mix and it would be OK.

ATB

Mark Chase

I guess that also could be what happened. Really, there was not much of a jolt to it since it was still in the bungee. I just assumed that there was a reboot since it went back to Mix 1, which is air on my set.

RBW Member mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot's Avatar

Howard,

Did anyone get any video or pictures on the Doc? I haven't been on her in a couple of years, and I'm wondering how she is after the past hurricane seasons. Was Tom M. doing training on that dive, or did he just go along for fun? I ran into him at FE the day before and he was getting fills for himself and a student. We talked about diving the Doc, but I didn't get my card in the hat fast enough before it filled up.

I used to dive the Ultra Freeze quite a bit off the H2O Diver. That was my first 'deep' dive many years ago when I first moved to Florida. It was also the first wreck that I cut my teeth with a bull shark on. It holds good memories, and I'm looking forward to diving it again sometime.

Anyway, I'm glad you caught the cx problem and the dives went well. Catch you on the boats,

Eric
    Last edited by mempilot; 19th June 2007 at 17:54.

PM sent.

Photo credit: Matt Hoeslcher.
    Attached Images

swims in fishes toilets vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr's Avatar

You beat me to it, here is the better one
    Rob.jpg

+ Reply to Thread