+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Scuttled U Boats

Re: Scuttled U Boats

Quote Originally Posted by Octopus  View Original Post
    Johnny,
    Thanks for the input. As you're the nearest to the area I'am looking at, any info you may have on the boats would be much appriciated, even if its negative or just rumours!
    My research is going well, but its throwing up more questions than answers on the fates of many of the boats. As usual most authorities on the subject contradict each other.
    Please PM me if you get a chance.

I don't know much about the German area, I focused on Danish national waters a few years ago when I got a assignment of researching and writing about possible U-boat dives for danish divers.
    In our part, we have one intact ww2 german sub sitting in 30-35m south of Anholt. That's the U251 and it's being dived a lot.
    Then there is a debris field out near Sjællands Odde, where if you are an expert with great imagination, you may recognice it as a sub.
    Out on Horns Rev there is a ww1 german sub U59 that Jydsk Dykkerfirma (Gert Normann) located a few year back. Broken in half from the mine that sunk it.
    JD-Contractor ApS
    Keeping the location to himself, to spare the wreck of being be plundred.
    Quite frankly, he is right to do so.

U20 is the one that sunk Lusitania and are reduced to scrap pieces after several salvage operations using old mines to break it apart. The tower and a few artifacts are on permanent display at [English index Strandingsmuseum St.George]

Then there is the 3 russian whiskey class subs, all lost during towing for either scrapping or displays. Two in the North sea and one in the Baltic sea, barely a mile of the coast of Bornholm.

There is a lot of other debri fields that used to be u-boats, but after the war there was good money in salvaging scrap metal from them. So that was how the vast majority ended up.

AFAIK there is two specific german subs that still haunts the sub-hunters dreams. They firmly belive that there was one sub loaded with valuables that left in the last hours of the war. They still search actively, after 40 years of trying.

You never know when it may happen. Hey, just two months ago a vessel I'm working closely with, located a coldwater coral reef where there is supposed to be none. Causing the goverment to instantly bann all fishing activities and gravel extracts in the area.
    There is quite a few of us, scanning the seafloor for intersting objects.
    In that process there may be other things turning up.
    Last edited by Johnny Christensen; 20th June 2007 at 11:22.

Banned AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM's Avatar

Fortunatley the area is a large shallow bay and fjord which is popular for all watersports-except diving. Its a holiday area these days. Can't find a single dive shop/boat operator within 100 miles (nearesr was Kiel!).
    Going to do a research trip this winter as you can only get so far on the internet. I'll let you all know what I dig up.
    Hi.

How did you get on with this research?

I would love to dive more WWII subs.

Regards

AnneMarie

Another Dilligaf Diver nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer's Avatar

Thanks for your help guys, going to do some serious digging on this. It seems to be a largely ignored piece of history with most books either completely missing it out or only having a few lines.

I have also come up with around 42-43 U Boats in this one bay alone, including the famous Type VII's, Type XXI electro boats and possibly a U Tanker. It would have been a mammoth task to scrap all of them so hopefully some are still left. Just need a North German contact now to help!

Keep you updated.

Aaaagh, were it that easy! you need to spend a lot more time researching and following up on the individual U-boat numbers that were scuttled in the bays mentioned. After spending more hours than I care to remember I concluded that they had all been salvaged (you don't think that Innes McCartney would not follow up on a type 21 laying around!?)

One of the reasons why you get a lot of contradictions is because everyone likes to write the books but not all do their research too well, also information which was classified until after the war was released at different dates ie. German, English and American. Another thing is that someone claiming to have sunk a U-boat in such and such position could and was optimistic in many a case, one I followed up on actually turned up in Sweden (Neutral country) several days after it was claimed to have been sunk looking to make repairs, when Sweden refused permission and threatened internment the crew scuttled the boat and went ashore. Sweden then salvaged the boat for scrap!

Apart from the U-boat mentioned by johnny christiansen on the north west tip of bornholm, there is another but "out of bounds" due to the dumping of mustard gas in the area.

U-2359 which was supposed to be the last undiscovered boat in Danish waters was found last October after a 12 year search!

The moral out of all this information is do your researching!

If you are still interested... I suggest you start at Uboat.net and follow the links, if you need some information from a referenced book let me know as there's a good chance I have it.

Best of luck...Paul

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2