+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Deployment of SMB

Happy Hippo Soren Thomsen has a spectacular aura about Soren Thomsen has a spectacular aura about Soren Thomsen has a spectacular aura about Soren Thomsen has a spectacular aura about Soren Thomsen has a spectacular aura about Soren Thomsen has a spectacular aura about Soren Thomsen's Avatar

Deployment of SMB

Hi all,

Just a CCR greenies question.
    How do you deploy your SMB or liftbag? Do use the small co2 bottles, by mouth, use wing inflator, stage reg. ??

Cheers
    Soren

RBW Member jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9's Avatar

Re: Deployment of SMB

Main one is a Buddy DSMB fitted with a 0.1L crack bottle that you fill off a cylinder. My backups (red/yellow) are both inflated by a CO2 cartridge. The main one can also be filled off a reg if you find the crack bottle is empty (doh) :)

JT

RBW Member CCR900 has a spectacular aura about CCR900 has a spectacular aura about CCR900 has a spectacular aura about CCR900 has a spectacular aura about CCR900 has a spectacular aura about CCR900 has a spectacular aura about CCR900's Avatar

I bought a DUI SMB, to fill it I plug in my dry suit hose. Fitting does not lock to the SMB so when it leaves for the surface it unplugs on its own. I find it easier (and less gas) than a reg. The idea of a mini bottle clipped onto my belt scares me a bit (I had one) all it would take is someone to crack it (someone looking to inherit my fortunes!) and I get a rapid one way ticket to the surface.

Rgds

F

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CCR900  View Original Post
    ...(someone looking to inherit my fortunes!) and I get a rapid one way ticket to the surface.
    Sorry, what fortune ? ... ;)

The Evolution of Diving diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob's Avatar
    Hybrid Meg

MCCR Dolphin, Evolution

I have a Halycon one that I fill with my suit inflation bottle (LP Whip)

Inspo Luver Shaunzxr is an unknown quantity at this point Shaunzxr's Avatar

The idea of a mini bottle clipped onto my belt scares me a bit (I had one) all it would take is someone to crack it (someone looking to inherit my fortunes!) and I get a rapid one way ticket to the surface.

Rgds

F
    I have a delayed with a crack bottle. I have it wrapped around my Custom Divers reel with the velcro strap.
    If I don't release the velcro strap fully on deployment the bottle empties staight through the air release valve on the DSMB. I think this is how it is designed.

Going to surface would not happen in my experience

The only fault I would pick with this design is once the bottle empties it can fill with water and if you are not carefull this can enter the cylinder you fill it with. We all know saltwater in a steel cylinder is not good. Its also a bit bulky and hard to clip some where out the way

Loving life 2 the fullest pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver's Avatar

I use my wing inflator to add air into my SMB. I maintain my buoyancy by displacing the air from the wing to the lift bag.

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

I use a couple of puffs off my bailout reg to send up my SMB. My hands get cold quick and I'm extremely lazy so I don't like disconnecting a hose to fill one with a valve. That is countered by being extremely tight so I won't stretch to a crack bottle or CO2 cartridges.

The idea of a mini bottle clipped onto my belt scares me a bit (I had one) all it would take is someone to crack it (someone looking to inherit my fortunes!) and I get a rapid one way ticket to the surface.
    Someone (Phi?) a few years ago did a test with a crack bottle powered SMB and inflated it with the SMB rolled up. The straps held and it wouldn't inflate.

Cheers,

Stuart

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by jptaylor9  View Original Post
    Main one is a Buddy DSMB fitted with a 0.1L crack bottle that you fill off a cylinder. My backups (red/yellow) are both inflated by a CO2 cartridge. The main one can also be filled off a reg if you find the crack bottle is empty (doh) :)

JT

Same as me.

ATB

Mark Chase

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by pattimegdiver  View Original Post
    I use my wing inflator to add air into my SMB. I maintain my buoyancy by displacing the air from the wing to the lift bag.

Hello Patti, that's how I was taught to do it, by holding the dump button, then the inflate and directing the flow into the bag. Though of course you have to be a little bit vertical to get the gas to go into the bag and not back into the wing. It's also not as easy with some inflators as others, actually it's never been easy for me and I find it a bit stressful. Maybe there's a better way... -Andy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast