+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: HS Explorer what do you think of it?

HS Explorer what do you think of it?

Hello Iím looking at getting an HS Explore just wondering peoples views on it.

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Re: HS Explorer what do you think of it?

Try the search function for HS Explorer, there have been several like threads.

I like diving chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter's Avatar
    Mk15.5, Mk15

Inpisspiration, KISS

Quote Originally Posted by divetoyourmax  View Original Post

I owned one before I purchased a VR3, and can say without hesitation that I prefer the VR3.

The HS Explorer is not an intuitive computer. Changing gasses requires a series of button holds for various periods of time that are just silly to memorize.

Although Gene at HSE was really nice when I spoke to him on the phone years ago, I would never go back.

New Member hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chunter  View Original Post
    ...Changing gasses requires a series of button holds for various periods of time that are just silly to memorize...
    Gene at HSE was really nice...
    you really do not need to memorize anything; the computer probablly won't work long enough for that to become an issue...

Gene is very responsive on repairs, which is need for this computer...

hoppyinca (where the doubles = HSE)

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

I had a unit with problems, Gene replaced it. I have 300hrs on my current one without an issue.
    I like my explorer just fine.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

rEvo CCR Driver silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba's Avatar
    JJ-CCR, rEvo

I have owned both an HSE and VR3 had problems with both of them, buy a Shearwater !!!!!! it is a much better computer for me:) I now own two of them and they are great!!!!

RBW Member sddiverrob is an unknown quantity at this point sddiverrob's Avatar

I love mine, only had to send it back once.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

I like mine a lot, no problems at all and it's 2nd hand. I traded an English guy my VR3 for it.

Because dive computers will need regular updates, I would recomend that you buy a computer that is made in your home country or in one which is nearest to you. I had trouble getting service for my VR3, which was also purchased 2nd hand. When my local dealer found out that my unit was 2nd hand, they were shitty with me about sending it back for an update and actually never did. They wound up keeping it for 2 months and never even sent it back to the UK in the bundle of other VR3s sent back for updates. No explanation why it never was sent, just a perfunctory apology. I called Delta P complained and was treated like a leper. For $100 Gene updated my HE software, gave me new straps and spent a lot of time talking me through the unit's functions and the RGBM theory and implementation, a very nice, knowledgeable guy.

The buttons are a bit hard on the hands, the battery replacement procedure must be done exactly as the manual says and the RGBM algo is not currently properly implemented for air dil, but the HE also gives you choices of algos, not just different levels of conservatisim. The main reason I switched was to get the RGBM algo for tmix, which I prefer to the VR3.

To sum it up: Where do you live and which algo makes the most sense to you? IMHO, these are the main factors for deciding which computer to go with... -Andy

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by divetoyourmax  View Original Post

Ive had one fail on me (flood) and I know 4 people who own them who have had floods/failures with them

So my opinion Im sorry to say is I wouldnt trust one.

Im sure there are those who have different experiences and opions.

Banned MB is an unknown quantity at this point MB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike  View Original Post
    Ive had one fail on me (flood) and I know 4 people who own them who have had floods/failures with them

So my opinion Im sorry to say is I wouldnt trust one.

Im sure there are those who have different experiences and opions.

That mirrors what we see, what seems to be about a 100% fail rate of these....

Funniest reply so far, paraphrased:

"Mine works fine, I've only needed to send it back once...." .... :p

Not that the others are perfect, mind you.....

Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast