+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Classic or Sport?

RBW Member JohnDuncan is an unknown quantity at this point JohnDuncan's Avatar

Classic or Sport?

can users of either unit let me know what are the up and downsides of these units compared to each other. I want a RB and have settled on a KISS but want to know which one i should go for.

DeepSeaCowboy deepseacowboy is an unknown quantity at this point deepseacowboy's Avatar
    I'll tell you right of the bat that I'm biased.

I bought the SK this year and can't stop diving it. My doubles are collecting dust and will soon be for sale (as soon as I can figure out if I want to dive the SK in caves).

My instructor was diving the classic, and while it is a solid, bulletproof unit, I think the sport seems much easier to clean, assemble, pack, get replacement parts for, and dive. Talk to Phi (decoweenie) who sold his classic to buy a Sport.

As far as I know there is nothing the classic can do that the Sport can't. I know the classic is more rugged, but I think there are mods to the Sport that can compensate for that. I love the fact that I can completely disassemble the unit without tools. I also loved the price, and I think that is a valid concern when you're buying a unit without having dived a RB before. They might not be to everyone's liking, and if you go and shell out a lot of money on one and then don't like it, you've got an expensive doorstop on your hands.

My recommendaiton would be to go for the Sport - but then again, I'm biased.

Alden

Ive been told that the build quality of the sport isnt as good as the classic, what do you reckon.

and the other thing against the sport is the 50m depth limit.

Dive different. cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys's Avatar
    MK15.5, MK15, LARV

KISS Classic

Quick disconnects are/will be available for the classic KISS corrugated hoses. With a little practice one can get really fast at removing and replacing the CL's on the classic. Removal of one bolt diassembles the scrubber housing.

DeepSeaCowboy deepseacowboy is an unknown quantity at this point deepseacowboy's Avatar
    The build quality on the Sport is not going to be as "good" because it's a different animal. The Classic is milled AFAIK, while the sport is mostly injection molded. This keeps the cost down and makes spare parts readily and inexpensively available. If you think about it a bit, the 50M limit has no bearing on the piece of equipment. It is the same valve as the classic, so do the different mechanical parts and different scrubber design change the depth limit?

From my (limited) knowledge, the only thing that would affect how deep you can take it would be the valve and the constant pressure delivered from the 02 first stage. From my understanding this doesn't become an issue until well below 250 feet. That again is based on my limited knowledge.

I think the 150 is based off of Jetsam's target market - sport divers.

Again - I have limited rebreather knowledge. I know Phi has dived the SK extensively and quite deep.

Alden

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

I haven't had the chance to dive either Jetsam CCR yet, but a quick word about the build quality.
    There are two different items here, robustness and finish.

The Classic is the more robust of the two, largly due to the exposed red connectors of the Sport Kiss. This, however, is easily solved with an extended housing like Phi's.

The finish of the Sport Kiss is first rate, the injection moulding makes it look as much a production unit as the APD CCRs. The Classic is nicely done, but it is machined and you can see it.

The Sport Kiss has the edge for travelling in both size and weight, and is the easiest rebreather I've seen so far in regards to (dis-)assembly. It also offers the choice of alu (travel) and ss (cold water) and soon the larger capacity scrubber.

The depth rating, by the way, has been increased to 165 fsw/50 msw (from 150 fsw).

I want a unit that will handle dives in the 50-80m range, so does that mean the sport is a no-no? or can they be modified succesfully?

Dive different. cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys's Avatar
    MK15.5, MK15, LARV

KISS Classic

Beyond the stock answer of the rated depth, it would depend on your VO2.

Quote Originally Posted by cys
    Beyond the stock answer of the rated depth, it would depend on your VO2.
    as a non-rb diver, done no training whatsoever, what is VO2?

MK15.5, MK15, LARV

KISS Classic

"Volume of oxygen consumed measured in litres per minute"

http://www.bsac.org/techserv/ndcbltn/glossary.htm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast