+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which rebreather Wiki

Nicholas Smith Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo's Avatar
    Megalodon

Which rebreather Wiki

The subject of Wikis has come up before, and I never really understood why they have not caught on at RBW. One place they might really be useful is as a repositary of basic information to compare between different rebreathers, perhaps with the onus on manufacturers to provide basic factual information?

Chosing a rebreather is a minefield: when you first try them you're going to feel unsafe - because you are: you're untrained. It's nothing to do with the model you're test-driving, it's just because you're test-driving before you pass your driving test. That training is expensive and unit-specific. You're not going to feel at home on a unit till you own it and adapt it: tightening and cutting off straps, adding surgical tube and snap links - and most importantly by buying BOVs and other such tools. By that time you've sunk a load of money and time. But people come on RBW asking "which is the best rebreather". The answer, of course, is "it's a tool: there's no best tool per se, just a best tool for the job. A hammer isn't better than a saw. What are you planning on doing with it?". Not only as a resource to answer that 'which one' question but also as a repositary for details like 'what does it weigh' and 'how big is it', it would be nice to have one place to go to get information compared across all units. A newbie would then be able to compare side-by-side to answer the question "which models are small and light enough to go as hand luggage'. And owners would have somewhere to go for the dimensions when they want to buy a carrying case. Would this idea fly?

Finding instructors is a similar minefield. Would it be possible to get instructors to put their details on a Google Map along with the units and courses they teach?
    Last edited by Abbo; 8th June 2007 at 07:53.

Blogs Admin / Forum Mod sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven's Avatar

Re: Which rebreather Wiki

Great thought! Can I point you to Scupedia, which would be the perfect place to contribute a few more articles about rebreathers. It has been a bit quiet on Scupedia recently, so maybe this is the time to get back into adding stuff.

What do you think?

RBW Member tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining's Avatar
    Hammerhead, SF2, Megalodon, JJ

Boris, Sentinel, Inspiration,

Quote Originally Posted by Abbo  View Original Post
    The subject of Wikis has come up before, and I never really understood why they have not caught on at RBW. One place they might really be useful is as a repositary of basic information to compare between different rebreathers, perhaps with the onus on manufacturers to provide basic factual information?

Chosing a rebreather is a minefield: when you first try them you're going to feel unsafe - because you are: you're untrained. It's nothing to do with the model you're test-driving, it's just because you're test-driving before you pass your driving test. That training is expensive and unit-specific. You're not going to feel at home on a unit till you own it and adapt it: tightening and cutting off straps, adding surgical tube and snap links - and most importantly by buying BOVs and other such tools. By that time you've sunk a load of money and time. But people come on RBW asking "which is the best rebreather". The answer, of course, is "it's a tool: there's no best tool per se, just a best tool for the job. A hammer isn't better than a saw. What are you planning on doing with it?". Not only as a resource to answer that 'which one' question but also as a repositary for details like 'what does it weigh' and 'how big is it', it would be nice to have one place to go to get information compared across all units. A newbie would then be able to compare side-by-side to answer the question "which models are small and light enough to go as hand luggage'. And owners would have somewhere to go for the dimensions when they want to buy a carrying case. Would this idea fly?

Finding instructors is a similar minefield. Would it be possible to get instructors to put their details on a Google Map along with the units and courses they teach?

Hi Buddy

Nice to see you actively putting time into RBW, have fun this weekend dive safe and check your bloody O2, I will get a reply to you ASAP on the quote from ISC on your new lung.

Cheers

Nicholas Smith Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo's Avatar
    Megalodon

Quote Originally Posted by tecdivertraining  View Original Post
    Hi Buddy

Nice to see you actively putting time into RBW, have fun this weekend dive safe and check your bloody O2, I will get a reply to you ASAP on the quote from ISC on your new lung.

Cheers
    Thanks chief: I'm still alive. The source of the O2 was Nippon Sanso: a top supplier of ultra high-purity gases to the semiconductor industry. It was medical grade 87799 oxygen guaranteed a minimum of 99.5% O2 by volume. I took the spec sheets back with me. It may not pass as many times through the fractional distillation process as semiconductor gases, but my belief is the purity is far higher than 99.5%. The O2 bank and booster were in a seperate room from the other pumps, so I took the only risk of inpurities to be a deliberate decision by the operator to kill me! It was frustrating not to be able to independently verify the purity, but I took a decision that diving on it was an acceptable risk - once - especially after carting 40kg of gear out on my back to a remote site. I shan't depend on somebody else to remember the analyser again: I'm just on the Oxycheq website now looking for a cheap analyser. Always one more thing to buy...

I felt sorry last week for a couple of people on RBW trying to get information about which rebreather to buy. The bumpy ride one got was perhaps largely self-inflicted but the point remains. Having not so long ago been through the same process I thought it would be nice for RBW to collate information to make the process easier. The suggestion, however, appears to have been met with a resounding silence, so I'll leave it at that. I fell on my feet with both the 'breather I bought and the instructor I chose, and I expect other people are able to fend for themselves too.

+ Reply to Thread