+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trip Report: SCHFord Visits Florida for SCRUB Dive 05/12/2007

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

Trip Report: SCHFord Visits Florida for SCRUB Dive 05/12/2007

On a day with calm seas, we headed out for a drift dive starting on the Ancient Mariner wreck. Stuart is in town, visting from the UK, and we had planned to make a dive together with our group. Unfortunately, he has a serious sinus condition. So, he is accompanying us as a bubble(less) watcher today.

The current was moving at a good clip, and the water looked clear as we hit the water via a hot drop onto a shot line that had been tied into the wreck. We descended and ran into the shot line as planned. However, a few divers were parked above the wreck, making our group have to hold the line and delay our descent as we pulled around them.

Finally, we made our way down to the structure, and I tied the reel connected to our floating flag into some structure. Our team of three then got inside the structure, and we settled down to catch our breaths once we were finally out of the current. Meanwhile, N2Diving was busy with his Optima crossover student, doing all of the drills for the open water work portion of the course.

We spent about 30 minutes traveling wherever we could that did not include working against the current. The plan was to then drift off of the wreck, and to head southeast to the nearby reef to drift for another hour or so.

I pulled myself through the current to where I had tied us into the wreck structure, and then I wrestled until I was able to untie the reel. After a quick check to make sure that all of our team was together, we drifted off over the sand in search of the reef.

Unfortunately, the current was not moving in a favorable direction. We probably spent another 15 minutes over sand. Then, we moved over to a a shadow in the distance, finding a small wreck structure. We tied off the reel, explored for a few minutes, and then we untied and drifted away from the second structure.

A few minutes later, we arrived at a third wreck, this one a barge, and we spent another few minutes exploring. By this point, we had finally come to the edge of where the reef line started, and we moved along it to see if the reef was even worth exploring. Honestly, there was not much to it.

We decided to call the dive at this point, which was just over an hour or so into the dive. We made a slow ascent and stopped for deco along the way.

After returning to the dock, everyone met up for dinner and drinks. Our discussion lasted well into the night. Among other things, we had some interesting but friendly debates on gear configuration. What a great way to end the day!
    Last edited by ScubaDadMiami; 2nd June 2007 at 00:38.

RBW Member Padipro has a spectacular aura about Padipro has a spectacular aura about Padipro has a spectacular aura about Padipro has a spectacular aura about Padipro has a spectacular aura about Padipro has a spectacular aura about Padipro's Avatar
    None

Megalodon

Re: SCHFord Visits Florida for SCRUB Dive

Good report Howard and great pictures Andrew.

Thanks to Scubatyme for the boat ride, we had a good dive that day. Hopefully the winds will die down someday soon and we can all do it again, my gills are starting to dry out.

Nice t-shirt Stuart. I sure would like to see one of those up close....

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trob09  View Original Post
    Nice t-shirt Stuart. I sure would like to see one of those up close....
    Me too... :)

And great job on the design, Tim.

swims in fishes toilets vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr's Avatar

Nice report Howard,
    Wish I could have been on the dive, but the bar was fun as well :D

RBW Member mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot's Avatar

Howard,

Thanks for the report! It sucks that I wasn't done with my training in time to dive with you guys that day. Scott, Marc, Howard, James, Rob; I'm looking forward to the future dives with no bubbles.

Eric

+ Reply to Thread