+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Freef's trip reports.

Custom Title Allowed! Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef's Avatar

Freef's trip reports.

The following guff is a broadly accurate set of reports on what I have been doing with my Dolphin in the last couple of years. When I pull my finger out I will sort out some pics to go with them.

As they go on, they get less factual and read more like I am on some serious medication.

No names have been changed either.
    Last edited by Freef; 31st May 2007 at 18:49.

Custom Title Allowed! Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef's Avatar

Dec 19th I finally get the Dolph wet.

Guildy may not be the most exotic location in the world, but it is good for testing out kit. Ro came with me for a splash, after insisting I call everyone else I know first. The excuses were: Caroline-Xmas shopping. Martyn & Anna-Red Sea. Rob-smashed his car up running over a deer. Claire-too cold. David & Janette-New Zealand.

So after being all paranoid about packing the scrubber, it’s off to Guildy. I had fiddled with kit configuration the day before, and thought I was happy with it. But of course I wasn’t. I had the pO2 sensor coming up over my right shoulder and down again a la Inspiration, but the damn thing floats. The pressure gauge hose is too long and I routed it back on itself to the right hand side and under my arm, where it is readable but slightly too short. The bail out reg was one of my twinset regs adapted for the occasion. Its console came down over my left shoulder and reg came in from the right, under my arm and across my chest into an occy holder. I had already run a loop of bungee around the bail out 3 L cylinder to keep it in place.

Dive 1-shake down dive for the Dolph to 18m for 23 min. 50.7% in cylinder, 60% needle used. Recorded vO2 1.1 L/min Suunto Vyper set on 21%, loop fO2 estimated at 39% on average. Problems encountered: [1] Venting every second breath. Rectified by closing exhale counterlung valve fully. [2] Not enough ‘D’ rings on harness, and those there are, are in the wrong place Rectified by adding ‘D’ rings to shoulder and waist as shown on modification page. Impressions: Not as ‘busy’ as diving the Inspiration, and almost as I remember the course in Malta. I seem to breathe too deeply for the counterlungs as venting taking place every 3rd breath. Breathe more as I do on the surface than when diving open circuit which seems to solve the problem. Buoyancy a little iffy compared to OC, but that was expected. Swap to bail out and several loop flushes carried out.

Dive 2- shake down dive for me to 16m for 21 min. 50.7% in cylinder, 60% needle used. Recorded vO2 1.05 L/min Suunto Vyper set on 21%, loop fO2 estimated at 40% on average. Problems encountered: [1] I’m still breathing more deeply than I need to. Must try harder. Impressions: Defiantly easier than a YBOD, but I don’t look at the pressure gauge enough-bad habit from OC diving where I am able to fairly accurately guess my gas usage. The gauge hose is quite short how I run it so maybe laziness is the problem. Got into the habit of pushing my shoulders forwards when the exhale lung vents to squeeze a little more gas out when the valve vents, this allows an extra breath or two before the valve vents again. Buoyancy feels worse this dive, and I seem to use more bail out gas for adjustments than I should. I may look into purchase of a second 3 L tank for suit gas.

Post dive-Clean unit down and add D rings to shoulders and waist strap, and a sticker to the rear of the shell. Slightly less subtle than the KISS warning? Re calculated loop fO2 for 45% cylinder fO2 and 60% needle at a vO2 of 1.2-should give me 32%, MOD of 29m at 1.2 bar. In this configuration I would dive my Vytec set to 30% with a 21% and 34% back up setting. I can roughly calculate the loop fO2 in my head with a known pO2 reading and if needed adjust the computer to suit. I would also stay within 21% limits and not go into deco.

31st Dec 2004 Usual last dive of the year.

Off to Stoney for the last dives of the year. Rob had fixed his car and got all the bits of deer out of it, but he still cadges a lift from Claire [not diving-too cold]. Martyn came up as well as he is back from Egypt, and his wife Anna kept Claire company on the side.

Dive 1 Cylinder 50.7%, 60% jet used, computer set on 38% as a guess from the previous figures for my vO2 [I used 1.2 as a starting point]. As it’s a Vytec, the other 2 nitrox mixes were set at 50% and 21%. Plan was to dive to the Cessna ledge to plant a gnome from Claire’s garden. Rob was getting over a cold and we had to turn the dive early. I only got one pO2/depth reading, 17.5m, 1.19 bar O2, vO2=0.76. This seems a little low, as do the figures from the following dive.

Buoyancy a little better, but plenty of room for improvement. The waistband clips I fitted to the outside of the weight pockets will be moved in board as they are a little too far around my back. +6kg lead over my normal open circuit weight could probably be dropped to +4. Swimming back from the ledge on the surface showed a tendancy to troll to the right as the weight of the 3L pony dragged me over slightly.

Dive 2 Cylinder 50.7%, 60% jet used, computer set on 38%. Rob sat this one out so Martyn & I went to the helicopter, van and wander around the 6m ledge. Buoyancy felt better [still on +6kg]. The pO2 readings were high again:
    depth [m] pO2 vO2 [calculated]
    4.9 0.70 0.41
    14.7 1.11 0.61
    17.5 1.31 0.34
    20.8 1.41 0.40
    5.1 0.71 0.55
    5.4 0.74 0.30
    [11.4 1.00 0.43 average]

I may be slightly fitter than the average bod, but I can’t believe the readings. The O2 sensor was calibrated the night before and read OK then, I’ll have to calibrate immediately before use in future and see what happens. I could only get a vO2 of 0.30 If I was super dooper fit, which I certainly am not.

As Martyn is up for some winter diving I’ll have a look next time.

8th Jan 2005 More dolphin diving.

For the first dives of 2005 Martyn and I went to Dosthill, a new site for us. Anna came along to enjoy the view from the car park because she had a cold and couldn’t dive. I was still diving on the remains of a 50.7% fill from the last dives at Stoney on 31st Dec. The calculated tank duration pretty exactly matches the actual duration, with a drop of 130 bar for a total of 101 minutes dive time. No drill practice this dive. vO2 readings still make me think that the sensor may be out. It was calibrated in the car park though, so it should be accurate.

Depth pO2 vO2
    19.1 1.24 0.82
    22.1 1.40 0.73
    22.0 1.45 0.57
    20.6 1.42 0.46

The dive was approached with out usual method of diving new sites. Kit up, jump in and wander around aimlessly until we get bored and come up. This method works well for the smaller inland dive sites, but it is not recommended for the sea as you may end up in a different county-or country. We found a few lumps and I found a strangely shaped stone which I collected for later inspection.

The second dive was approached in the same manner. I decided to have a frantic fin to see how the pO2 changed with hard work. The first two figures show the working results, the rest the normal workload levels.

Depth pO2 vO2
    20.6 1.24 0.99
    21.6 1.40 0.60
    13.5 1.06 0.59
    14.0 1.11 0.48

Carried out an open circuit bailout swap and a couple of loop flushes. Buoyancy getting better all the time, and I was diving on +5kg over o/c weight. The Vytec was set on 38% for the dive, with 21% & 50% as alternatives.

I enjoyed Dosthill as a site, vis was 10-15 metres and it wasn’t crowded. As the site is quite low lying, like Stoney, the wind wasn’t much of a factor either, although there is no shelter if it is raining. The car park is next to a graveyard, which may put people off. There doesn’t appear to be much in the way of big lumps to look at, but there are several small boats and cars.

Sun 27th Feb 2005 Dosthill on a Dolphin [Dives 7 & 8 on the RB].

Russ, one of the divers I helped train when I was working for C-Life asked me to buddy him for the day at Dosthill, and who am I to refuse, especially since it meant I could get my Dolph wet again. I met Russ at Jacks Hill Café, just North of Towcester on the A5, highly recommended for pre dive soss sarnies. I had warned Russ to wear his undersuit as soon as he got up to warm it up before he jumped in the water, and he did, but he thought I was trying to make him look silly until I turned up in mine. Which is bright yellow.

I’m still playing around with the tank mix to get a good loop pO2 so I was diving on 44% in the tank. At the start of dive one we were just getting settled in to things when a twinset diver came hand over hand up a scaffold pole to the 3m platform. He seemed more than slightly flustered, not responding to an OK signal. I couldn’t see his buddy, so I asked him where they were, to which he indicated I should be his buddy. I signalled I wasn’t, and his signal seemed to suggest that he would really like me to be his buddy, so could I please be his buddy. I gave the ‘up’ to him and Russ, and we were just starting up when an Inspiration diver appeared out of the gloom to the relief of the diver and myself. That explained why he thought I was his buddy then, two hoses! The rest of the dive went better, but I only managed to note one depth/pO2 reading: 19.7m 0.92 bar which gives 31% loop O2 and a vO2 of 1.09. These figures are more reliable than the ones I had before, so I think that a 40-45% mix through the 60% jet is the way to go for dives below 20m.

The dive was pretty dark and silty to start with, so we stayed at about the 20m mark and saw the boat on it’s side and the rope that leads over the rock on it’s way South. We sat on the rock for a moment so that I could pass another weight to Russ who was getting a bit light, and headed off in the approximate direction of the catamaran and minibus. Unfortunately we hit a wall of silt, which I was unwilling to drag Russ through [he’s OW with less than 20 dives under his belt. Yes, I know we shouldn’t be deeper than 18m, but he has dived to 30 in the Med] so we skirted it and Russ bagged up for practice, and up we went.

Obligatory Soss sarnie and hot choc later we hit the water again. Food service considerably quicker than Stoney.

Dive 2 was a wander around at 10-15m along the West side of the quarry. Not a lot to see except the inverted chassis so we bimbled around and back. I bagged up from 5m as Dosthill insist on an SMB to mark RB divers ascents. My pencil lead had fallen out on the surface interval, so I couldn’t make any notes on depth vs pO2. Russ was quite good on his diving, but he needs a tall 12l rather than a dumpy one. He is 6’1” tall and tends to fall forwards a little while diving on a dumpy, requiring him to paddle with his hands a bit.

My diving felt a tad rough on dive 2, and I seemed to be venting gas a little more than usual. This is a symptom of a flood according to the manual, but the unit was dry on strip down and sterilise.

Dive 1 22.9m 23 min
    SI 1 hour 22
    Dive 2 15.2m 21 min

Moved!

Managed to post these in the wrong place, if you are still awake the rest are here:

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=12164

+ Reply to Thread