+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Inwater Recompression

RBW Member Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck's Avatar
    Dolphin

This article is Very…interesting.

Credit provided to Richard Pyle and David Youngblood.

Article-In-water Recompression as an Emergency Field Treatment of Decompression Illness

Web- http://www.bishopmuseum.org/research...utz97/iwr.html

I usually don’t talk about this kind of thing because of prior tongue lashing over this topic but this group has been excellent about discussion verses name calling.

I believe in IWR however that is a very personal choice.
    This needs be followed up with medical evalutuion and treatment- as Rob mentioned.

Ducky

SiegeEngine II Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyduck
    I believe in IWR however that is a very personal choice.
    This needs be followed up with medical evalutuion and treatment- as Rob mentioned.

Ducky

I feel the same.

I'd rather go back down and do the decompression to clear the cause rather than come up, get in a chopper and go in the pot to clear the symptoms. It seems to me that by the time you get to the pot, damage will have been done which can't be reversed by hyperbaric treatment. I appreciate the pot will prevent further injury but I'd rather prevent the damage in the first place...

It goes without saying that this depends on your buddy being briefed beforehand, how cold you are, how your kit is performing and weather conditions. Hanging onto a bucking DSMB in a Force 7 in the North Sea is probably not the best place to be doing IWR...

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar
    Any problems - straight on O2 and/or IWR. If O2 doesnt fix it within 30 mins its IWR for me

I have experienced and witnessed others do both and seen the effectiveness for myself. I have also seen the result of not doing IWR and instead having a delay of travelling for 12hours to get to a pot

If you dive with a FFM fitted to your RB it makes the move to IWR quicker and safer.

After a short while the damage is done - going to a pot later will probably only help the healing process by oxygenating the tissues and avoiding bone necrosis

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike
    Any problems - straight on O2 and/or IWR. If O2 doesnt fix it within 30 mins its IWR for me

I have experienced and witnessed others do both and seen the effectiveness for myself. I have also seen the result of not doing IWR and instead having a delay of travelling for 12hours to get to a pot

If you dive with a FFM fitted to your RB it makes the move to IWR quicker and safer.

After a short while the damage is done - going to a pot later will probably only help the healing process by oxygenating the tissues and avoiding bone necrosis
    I have seen studies that if treatment is not initiated within 8 hours virtually ALL subjects have measurable bone necrosis.. less than 8 hours there were only a few cases.. in the test results that I saw under 4 hours had no incidence of damage..

I know if its going to take me more than a few hours to the pot, I usually have everything I need to do IWR and would do it for myself.. For anyone else its their choice....
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar
    I have also seen the result of not doing IWR and instead having a delay of travelling for 12hours to get to a pot
    Actually, it was 15+ hours until the time he was admitted into the pot.

Yes, we are seeing the same result which pretty much made up my mind on the spot on whatever hesitations I have had in the past about IWR. As soon as I am home from this trip, I will start gathering everything I could on IWR on both techniques and equipments.

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jradomski

I know if its going to take me more than a few hours to the pot, I usually have everything I need to do IWR and would do it for myself.. For anyone else its their choice....
    My thoughts exactly.

Thats why I like diving off the MV Empress - we have a chamber on board :D

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar
    Thats why I like diving off the MV Empress - we have a chamber on board :D
    Does Vidar know how to operate it ?
    Correctly ?

Subsea Systems koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai's Avatar
    I think Vidar has done a chamber operators course. Of course, just having a chamber and an operator won't save you if you have a serious hit, but it's probably worthwhile for minor symptoms.

Jason.

I guess around Far East won't be a huge issue, but I don't see too many people will follow suit in places like US for fear of liability.

I agree that it definitely will not hurt to have more options available. It would have helped Steve with his incident.

Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie
    Does Vidar know how to operate it ?
    Correctly ?
    Yup - done a course.

BTW Sorry I couldnt meet up with you when you were in Singapore - I was on my way back from the USS Lagarto (great dive) and was forced (Gard damn it!) to spend an extra night in Koh Samui :D ...a dirty job but someone has to do it

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast