+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trip report Littlehampton The Albair and an unknown

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Trip report Littlehampton The Albair and an unknown

Delta Diaries Day 1 The Albeit

OK I probably spelt it wrong but its Albert in French.

I wonít go into great detail on this as I have some picks coming that will make for a more detailed article.

So thanks to a last min rescue gas supply from the lovely Lesley I am good to go. Then the phone rings and a distraught Simon tells me heís filled the car with petrol but itís a diesel so this is a bad thing. Then he tells me he was on the way to the airport to fly home which is a very very bad thing and heís not coming.

Gutted, its was day ja voo of Andyp canning the first Delta gig of the year  Ho hum. So I make the 5am treck down to Little Hampton alone and get the usual flack from the lads about no one wanting to dive with me. But hey the sea is flat and the sun is shining so sod it what do I care.

The Albeit is about 3-4 hours out. So kit prepped we all went to sleep.

Last dive on this wreck we (Me T and the Doctor (TD) ) found the engine room telegraph but it was impossible to move with a standard crow bar. This time ďThe DoctorĒ proscribed a 6ft 14lb crow bar and a pair of bolt croppers to solve the problem :D

I was to lay the line and stick with TD and T was going to make sure we were OK then go of exploring. We struggled down to 65 against a bit of tide on the shot and DT/T tied in whilst I got the reel sorted. Viz was a good 5-6m but it was a little gloomy. We set off to the right but T quickly assessed it was the wrong way and we turned and headed back to the shot. Shortly past this we dropped on to the sea bed and I recognised the engine room fro the previous dive. We were sure we were in the right spot but we were struggling to find the telegraph. I must have been looking straight at it but missed it when finally TD got out the 6ft bar and set to work

I didnít want to screw up so I held back and just provided light. Once out the cloud of silt made things awkward but TD did an amazingly efficient job of separately bagging up both bits. I considered sending up the crow bar and bolt croppers with my lift bag but I didnít want to make a mistake so I left it to TD to let me know what he wanted me to do. This was to result in another slagging when I got back on the boat :D ďYou could have helped by sending the tools up you gitĒ said ĎTí. Ho hum but no slagging about my line laying so thatís an improvement :D

Heading back up into clear water I went over an area of small brass keys locks broken china and port whole glass. Looking at my deco commitment I was up for a two and a half hour run time in 11c water so I quickly grabbed a couple of intact porthole glass and legged it for the shot.

We were last but one out and the ascent went OK all but an interesting buoyancy moment at 9m details of which ill leave out to protect the guilty :D

The trip home was all about planning day two. We could do the Empire Javelin which we know to be a superb wreck orrrrr we could do a total unknown a long way out and take advantage of the glass like sea.

No contest the unknown has it in spades.

Simon is due to pick me up at 5:30. I switch my phone on at 5:15 and there is a message to say he has broken down????? Is it me? Does no body want to dive with me ?

The thought of the monumental slagging I was going to get from ĎTí and Don John spurred me into action and the Jeep was loaded in 10 seconds flat and I hit an all time new top speed in the 2ton diesel heading to get Simon.

We tied on the rope then I proceeded to tow him at up to 50mph to a nearby car park. Shortly after Simon commented that he had never been towed before and doing 50mph 10ft from the car in front with no servo on the breaks was an enlightening experience. Little did he know I was just softening him up a bit for the next phase.

79miles its 5:50am the boat leaves at 7:30 and we are in a two ton diesel 4X4.
    We arrived at 7:15 :D Simon was looking older and wiser but we were other wise unscathed.

Kit on the boat and we settle back to enjoy the most magnificent sea conditions:

The trip out was heaven. TD demoed the DIR way of mounting strobes and cutting tools.

Having carried out the challenging task of getting a shot on a well broken wreck in 55m of water, it was a bit worrying to note the local shipping traffic right on top of us :D A few questions were asked on the exact draught of a ferry

Simon ready to go:

Simon and I were in second and Simon was doing the line as I was taking photos. Viz was excellent, probably 10m. The wreck was a wooden sailing ship circa 1850ish. This was decided based on the presence of many ďdead eyeĒ rope bearings compared to what metal we found. The extensive wear on the dead eyes lead TD and T to suspect it went down around the turn of the century.

I have never seen so many Conga on a wreck. They were every where and they were massive. Hears a small one

We soon came across T and TD (first in) bagging up a dead eye and a chunk of the ship it was mounted on :D

Sadly my camera had no batteries for the flash so ambient light shots only. Also I had a problem in that the wide angle lens was screwed into an adaptor but the adaptor wouldnít totally fill with water so I had a tide mark going across the lens. I wiggled and jiggled it but it was not easy so some of the pics have a funny shadow in the middle.

Simon managed to find a porthole and soon I had another lifting event to photograph

I grabbed a modest lobster to appease the wife god and content my self with taking picks.

We were willing to stay longer but the tide was getting irritating and we were near the shot and it was obvious we were last out (only two strobes left) so we went home with 40ish on the clock

Deco was deco. Hers the profile for the interested. Itís my usual granddad ascent. A busy deco bar meant I was practicing some free swimming deco and I was kept company by my MP3 player for the duration.

Back on board and its pic time again. Well done Simon on his first brass backed Porthole.

A great trip some great diving. The second wreck is unlikely to have ever been dived so it was a privilege to be there. Itís unlikely we will go back to her again because there are better wrecks but thatís what diving marks is all about.

ATB

Mark Chase

RBW Member aldive is an unknown quantity at this point aldive's Avatar

Re: Trip report Littlehampton The Albair and an unknown

Nice write up, I assume you were just out with Paul the last couple of days.

We are supposed to be going out with Paul on Sunday doing the Russian Freighter, but looks like the weather isn't going to play ball

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by aldive  View Original Post
    Nice write up, I assume you were just out with Paul the last couple of days.

We are supposed to be going out with Paul on Sunday doing the Russian Freighter, but looks like the weather isn't going to play ball
    Yes it was with Paul

Sorry about Sunday m8

I am looking for a buddy to dive with this group on the 20 21 22
    on Pamela P. Depth is likely to be 60-70m deeper is a possibility but unlikley.

It will be max 8 on the boat and long range and the costs will reflect this. These are return to deco station ONLY dives. Bagging off is NOT an option. Line laying skills are esential.

You will be diving with me and we will be told when we are going in (usualy second and connecting the station because I tend to do the longest bottom time and deco combination) I run 10/85 deco schedules and the divers do not leave the water alone so you stay with your buddy for the whole of deco. Dive time is likely to be 2 hours plus and unlikely to be more than three.

Sounds draconian but its not just simple safety standards we stick too.

If any one is interested let me know.

ATB

Mark Chase

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Nice report, no CCR failures for a change, I wonder why?

Nice to see the Shearwater traces, haven't taken mine to such depths yet... bit of regular loop flushing on deco or leaky mask?

JJ Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Field  View Original Post
    Nice report, no CCR failures for a change, I wonder why?

Nice to see the Shearwater traces, haven't taken mine to such depths yet... bit of regular loop flushing on deco or leaky mask?

No M8 just numptie dive skills on a MCCR :D

I am trying to run minimum loop volume but every now and then I take a breath which hits the adv and the 18/45dill sends the PP02 on the chart crashing down as it blows across the sensors.

Pretty much all the sudden down spikes on the chart are me hitting the adv.

Last dive i over reacted with the 02 inject but now I am waiting a second before i hit the inject button.

Ill get used to it and it doesn't bother me but its not easy (yet) to keep a nice track on the PP02. Id love to see a Shearwater print out of a Vision or Classic profile to see how well a ECCR copes.

Lets face it the PP02 goes up and down all the time on OC an we don't mind. It doesn't seem to affect the deco much as despite running 10/85 GF I am still running shorter deco than the VR3 on my M8s fixed set point.

ATB

Mark Chase

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post
    ...Id love to see a Shearwater print out of a Vision or Classic profile to see how well a ECCR copes.
    I need to get off my booties and get Ross' software to download the Shearwater dive profiles of our South China trip last week.

It is not on a Vision or Classic controller, but on the Shearwater controller, if you are interested.

Hopefully I will be able to convince our group and Rich Clark's group to combine our dive reports into an article about diving the Empress off the East coast of Malaysia.

Peter (PCDiver) was The Stud of the trip and carried his humongous HDV video camera on 90% of the dives and got great video footage in/outside the wreck.
    Last edited by decoweenie; 28th May 2007 at 12:03.

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie  View Original Post
    I need to get off my booties and get Ross' software to download the Shearwater dive profiles of our South China trip last week.
    Just a quick note to say that the download software was a breeze to get and pay for, the password turned up in seconds in my mail and I was downloading after about 10minutes!

Ross obviously has his Sh*t together IMO :)

JJ Hybrid

It is not on a Vision or Classic controller, but on the Shearwater controller, if you are interested.

Hopefully I will be able to convince our group and Rich Clark's group to combine our dive reports into an article about diving the Empress off the East coast of Malaysia.

Peter (PCDiver) was The Stud of the trip and carried his humongous HDV video camera on 90% of the dives and got great video footage in/outside the wreck.

Yes Id be very interested, it sounds great.

ATB

Mark Chase

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post

Mark,

Above is one of the PO2 traces (green curve) from your dive report.

And below is one of the dives we did on the Repulse (i.e. similiar depth)

I chose this particular dive since we fluctuated the depth quite a bit swimming from the bow to stern to look at the props, then recovered a lost anchor (from another dive boat, not artifact from Repulse) on the swim back.

Despite the depth fluctuation, the Shearwater controller maintained a pretty steady SP (i.e. 1.3) throughout the entire dive.

Bruce uses his proprietary injection algorithm that is supposed to keep the SP very steady. I do like it for the bottom portion where I am working more, but not as much for the ascent or deco phases, just IMHO...

I don't have any traces of my loop PO2 when I was diving the KISS units, but I don't believe mine was fluctuating as much as yours has (i.e. 0.5 PO2 nominally) even at constant depth.

Thus, you might need to check the flow rate on your orifice as it could be too slow and you failed to monitor and add O2 as often as you should (?)

Attached Images

JJ Hybrid

Mark,

Above is one of the PO2 traces (green curve) from your dive report.

And below is one of the dives we did on the Repulse (i.e. similiar depth)

I chose this particular dive since we fluctuated the depth quite a bit swimming from the bow to stern to look at the props, then recovered a lost anchor (from another dive boat, not artifact from Repulse) on the swim back.

Despite the depth fluctuation, the Shearwater controller maintained a pretty steady SP (i.e. 1.3) throughout the entire dive.

Bruce uses his proprietary injection algorithm that is supposed to keep the SP very steady. I do like it for the bottom portion where I am working more, but not as much for the ascent or deco phases, just IMHO...

I don't have any traces of my loop PO2 when I was diving the KISS units, but I don't believe mine was fluctuating as much as yours has (i.e. 0.5 PO2 nominally) even at constant depth.

Thus, you might need to check the flow rate on your orifice as it could be too slow and you failed to monitor and add O2 as often as you should (?)

Yeahhh thats what i thaught, a prety tight line. Ill be interested to see how/ if i improve with experiance on the unit.

Thanks for posting this.

ATB

Mark Chase

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast