+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prep.time needed from parking the car and diving

RBW Member denka is an unknown quantity at this point denka's Avatar

Prep.time needed from parking the car and diving

Hello,

Most people I talk to and know "some things :o " about rebreathers say that it takes a lot off time to do the pre dive checks and the calibrating. So i thougt lets ask the pro's;) .

My interrest go out to the Sport kiss, R-evo, Pelagian and the Inspiration.

Greatings from a rainy holland

Dennis

RBW Member Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy's Avatar

Re: Prep.time needed from parking the car and diving

Prep time for SK is:
    • 10 minutes to fill sorb every 3 dives (1 hour per dive which is slightly over spec)
    • 2 Hours to fill oxygen every 6 dives (Could be a lot faster but it's gezellig @ the LDS)
    • 0 time for diluent every 10 or so dives since usually combined with oxygen
    The rest of the prep time is from checks and calibration (only 2 minutes! eCCR owners eat your heart out) donning the unit (1minute) and prebreathing (some 3 minutes and should be 5)

The rest is identical to OC and in fact you'd have to fill more often ;)

The real pain in the arse *timewise* is the cleaning and disinfecting afterwards and then assembling it again. It still takes me three quarters of an hour or so on average.

All in all it's about 1,5 hour so considerable. Of course That number drops if you do multiple dives per day.

I think it comes down to how and when you dive your unit. If you dive Tx21/35 on OC you'll spend a lot of time at the LDS or blending at home. If you have to drive far to get O2 then the balance may go the other way. You'll have to calculate for your circumstances I guess.

O2ptima Instructor SkinAndScuba is an unknown quantity at this point SkinAndScuba's Avatar
    O2ptima Fx - old to new

Quote Originally Posted by denka  View Original Post
    Hello,

Most people I talk to and know "some things :o " about rebreathers say that it takes a lot off time to do the pre dive checks and the calibrating. So i thougt lets ask the pro's;) .

Dennis
    I'm diving a eCCR and yes it does take a fair amount of time. I have watched the pro's do it much faster than I can. I take about 3/4 hour to set up my unit and about the same when I take it apart and clean it.
    I assemble in the morning and take apart in the evening. I don't do it for any other dives during the day.

I take more time as a mistake on a CCR is not forgiving like OC.
    I don't have to fill cylinders at all for a complete weekends diving, other than the initial fills.

Average out the time taken to go fill my OC for each dive, it works out less time spent preping the CCR.

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by denka  View Original Post
    Hello,

Dennis
    All depends on how many cute chicks are standing around the dive site:D
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

RBW Member Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles's Avatar

I live in a world of OC divers, and much skepticism about CCR. Whilst I was waiting for delivery of the Meg, I had the following advice from these "experts";

1) RB's miss many dives as a result of failing pre-dive
    2) some 2hrs of build and check for every dive
    3) yearly send back for servicing
    4) Causing OC buddies to wait for you when kitting up.

Well let me say, that the above has been a load of .

I have never missed a dive as a result of a pre-dive check problem (some 180-hrs so far). I pre-dive extensively.

The above mentioned 2 hrs is on a weekend/trip basis. Not per-dive.

The make of RB I have only gets sent back if there's a major fault or problem. All servicing done by self.

With a bit of planning and organization, I am usually the first in the water.

If you enjoy diving, CCR will turbo charge that interest very effectively. For me, the build and maintenance is part of the fun, and I don't find it (build and maintenance) that much of a hassle. It is tender loving care for my baby.

G

RBW Member RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan's Avatar
    Meg

CCR Dolphin

with cylinders full, I take 18 minutes to set the meg up from parts using the ISC approved checklist, including analyzing gasses, but add in 5 minutes if a cal is required. when at the dive site its drysuit on, rig on and in the water in about 10 minutes, longer if cute girls present or diving with slow folks.

Tear down following a weekend of diving takes an hour or so

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Kit prep on OC is faster than CCR. It would maby take 15mins to rig my OC stuff and at least an hour to rig my CCR.

Gas on CCR costs me one possably two trips to the gas man a year. On OC it cost me the same amount of trips for gas as dive trips.

I know which i prefer.

From Car to water i dont notice much diference in kitting / prep time.

I pre breath whilst kitting up and i dont calibrate again on site. Neg test takes a couple of mins tops.

ATB

Mark Chase

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

I never rig my kit on site. A boat or the edge of the water isn't the place to be assembling a RB. I do it at home before I leave so that when I get there all I do is suck & blow test, check the cal again (again, the cal -- if required -- would have been done before I left), check the flow direction and a visual check over the unit (especially that the display o-rings are seated). If it's a few days trip then re-filling the scrubber is the only task I do unless there is a problem. I've become so lazy that I take spare drive bottles rather than have to get fills if it's only 2-3 days. I don't spend an awful lot of time on cleaning, every couple of months maybe?

All in all, I find it takes as long to rig my RB as it did to rig a twinset.

Cheers,

Stuart

Made in England. Nick uk. has a spectacular aura about Nick uk. has a spectacular aura about Nick uk. has a spectacular aura about Nick uk. has a spectacular aura about Nick uk. has a spectacular aura about Nick uk. has a spectacular aura about Nick uk.'s Avatar
    Viale C.Colombo 75 Marina di Carrara. MS 54036 Italy

I always set up my rig the day/night before, including a neg test. Then all i do is calibrate on site, before suiting up or getting onto the boat, and i'll leave it like that for multiple dives in the same day. :)

RBW Member Ferg3333 is an unknown quantity at this point Ferg3333's Avatar

I'm knew to CCR only got about 25hours so far. I usually check everything the night before then I do a neg test to make sure everything is ok and leave it overnight and usually till I am about to turn the unit on, so the unit is ready to go when I get to the dive site, and I can be sure there are no leaks. So I reckon it takes an hour or so to disinfect and clean the unit which I do every 10 hours of use - unless there is a large interval between diving days. I'd say I spend more time setting my unit up than I did on OC but its all at home not at the dive site, so kitting up time is almost the same, plus 5 min pre breathe.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast