+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Dirty loop and lung infection?

S21 M.I.B. cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier's Avatar

Unhappy Dirty loop and lung infection?

Hi all,

Is anybody aware of a documented case of lung infection (or any other related-disease) because of an improperly cleaned rebreather loop?

Have you even been ill because of "dirty" breathing loop? What kind of disease could it actually be?

Cheers

Morgan's Mum bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sport Kiss

Re: Dirty loop and lung infection?

oops
    Last edited by bendomatic; 9th May 2007 at 04:26.

Curmudgeon babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar's Avatar

FWIW those guys got ear and skin infections from the psuedomonas. I think the major risk in a breathing loop would be transmitting viruses. Or, if it was REALLY a long time since you cleaned your loop, maybe fungal

I like diving chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter's Avatar
    Mk15.5, Mk15

Inpisspiration, KISS

Quote Originally Posted by cedricverdier  View Original Post
    Hi all,

Is anybody aware of a documented case of lung infection (or any other related-disease) because of an improperly cleaned rebreather loop?

Have you even been ill because of "dirty" breathing loop? What kind of disease could it actually be?

Cheers
    I may have had minor sinus infections as a result of getting lazy with my loop. Nothing that I could categorically say was a direct result of "nasty loop". I do think that getting the loop dry can minimize the need for disinfecting. I did know someone (I'll not mention names) who claimed to never disinfect, and he did a lot of diving (on a CIS).

I think that we should do a study where half of the RBW members don't clean loops for a year. I'll be on the side that does! :)

Loving life 2 the fullest pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver's Avatar

I am in the habit of cleaning my loop and counter lungs at the time I change my scrubber, to avoid any type of lung or throat infection. If anyone uses or try out my RB I definitely will santize the loop and counter lungs. Also if I do any warm water diving I usually will rinse the loop and counter lungs out every night.

RBW Member kkcheo will become famous soon enough kkcheo will become famous soon enough kkcheo will become famous soon enough kkcheo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pattimegdiver  View Original Post
    I am in the habit of cleaning my loop and counter lungs at the time I change my scrubber, to avoid any type of lung or throat infection. If anyone uses or try out my RB I definitely will santize the loop and counter lungs. Also if I do any warm water diving I usually will rinse the loop and counter lungs out every night.
    Hi Patti

Do you totally disinfect the loop at the end of the day? If you're diving again tomorrow, how do you dry it in time?

Cedric - I think you have to show me how to disinfect the loop and lungs again :D

Cheers
    -Keng

Loving life 2 the fullest pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kkcheo  View Original Post
    Hi Patti

Do you totally disinfect the loop at the end of the day? If you're diving again tomorrow, how do you dry it in time?

Cedric - I think you have to show me how to disinfect the loop and lungs again :D

Cheers
    -Keng
    for warm water diving I usually have a disinfectant and rinse tub, and hang them up. In the morning I use a cloth and take the residual water out of the counter lungs and sweeze the loop it is part of the check off list;) I work in the ER.. it is all about body fluids :p ya know
    Last edited by pattimegdiver; 9th May 2007 at 09:06.

RBW Member Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kkcheo  View Original Post
    Hi Patti

Cheers
    -Keng
    I'm anal about cleaning too as I've a long history on pneumnonia and bronchitis so I do clean it. Sometimes even an hour before a dive. The result is that I'll dive a slightly wet loop but since I fail to see why that is different from a loop with condensation I don't mind :p . Ignorance is a blessing :D

RBW Member Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles's Avatar

Down here in the tropics, if/when I neglect cleaning my loop, it starts to get a pretty nasty taste sometimes. Add to that, an accumulation of brown grunge between the mouthpeice rubber, and DSV nipple ( couldn't find the vomit icon).

Gets cleaned end of every weekend. Still pretty healthy (so far).

RBW Member nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh's Avatar

So no bids so far...

An interesting thought is that the kind of things that have evolved a taste for human flesh (at a microbial level) probably find salt water lethal.

I wouldn't stop cleaning it either because, frankly, I don't want to know what is in the exhale counterlung after a good weekend diving with a nice curry Saterday night.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast