+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: thinking of giving up

RBW Member Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll's Avatar
    Meg 2.7 :) - of course

Megalodon 2.7

thinking of giving up

well lads, as my title goes, thats whats on my mind at the mo. not feeling sorry for myself but feeling quiet bad. ever since my thread, MOD1 COMPLETE WITH CEDRIC, well as all of you know how that one goes, things have gotten worse. now since i came back from trainning in thailand, my club dosent want to know, REBREATHERS, REBREATHERS, NO REBREATHERS, ive turned up at a number of dives since and was told, sorry clive have no one to dive with you, people look at me now like i have the pox.. in the last few weeks ive bought, a megaldon rebreather, an otter brittanic dry suit, vr3 amongst others and for what. i am heading away to OZ in august but christ i didnt think things would be like this before i head. my diving officer gave me a great appaulise when i gave a briefing on my unit to my club, " bail out ", and all so i thought it would be good. but no one wants to know, so im posting this to let people know thats all, best wishes, clive

Submerge Productions PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver's Avatar

Re: thinking of giving up

Quote Originally Posted by MrClive  View Original Post
    well lads, as my title goes, thats whats on my mind at the mo. not feeling sorry for myself but feeling quiet bad. ever since my thread, MOD1 COMPLETE WITH CEDRIC, well as all of you know how that one goes, things have gotten worse. now since i came back from trainning in thailand, my club dosent want to know, REBREATHERS, REBREATHERS, NO REBREATHERS, ive turned up at a number of dives since and was told, sorry clive have no one to dive with you, people look at me now like i have the pox.. in the last few weeks ive bought, a megaldon rebreather, an otter brittanic dry suit, vr3 amongst others and for what. i am heading away to OZ in august but christ i didnt think things would be like this before i head. my diving officer gave me a great appaulise when i gave a briefing on my unit to my club, " bail out ", and all so i thought it would be good. but no one wants to know, so im posting this to let people know thats all, best wishes, clive
    That's very strange. I never had a problem with finding buddies. Most of them were friends diving OC. What about looking outside your club?

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

I asume you meen giving up the club and not giving up the rebreather? ;)

Barry (Bang on) is over in Ireland he should know a few turtle divers.

ATB

Mark Chase

No Viz is BAD Viz almity1 has a spectacular aura about almity1 has a spectacular aura about almity1 has a spectacular aura about almity1 has a spectacular aura about almity1 has a spectacular aura about almity1's Avatar

Sorry to hear about this.

At the moment I get it from both sides.

I get "oh no not a rebreather" conversations from the heathens even though I haven't got it yet, as well the congratulatory conversations from the wannabees and those who have a RB.

I getting trained in June and hoping to have the unit then, so in August I will be looking in getting some hours up. I can show some shore diving along with UW Flora and Fauna of Sydney

There are others on the list who can help you.

When you ready to come to OZ, send a PM or put a posting up, we will let you know where to go.

No giving up..... ;)

Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

L.A.D.Y.,
    I pretty much ignored the whole thread, now that you have written this I went back over it. I don't know you and can not say if there is some deep hidden reason you were so racked over the coals. Sure there has been a Cedric contraversy, but wow, it seems that much of the usual protocal of threads was just let go. What a shame.

On a brighter note, let me give you a belated Welcome. I'm unclear what you are giving up, but if it's diving a meg, or rebreathers in general, or quitting your dive club or rebreather world I'd only recommend that you do your best to take a step back, take a few deep breaths and realize there is probably light at the end of the tunnel.

Everyone's voice ads to the value of rebreatherworld and it would be sad if you dropped out because of some untimely circumstances or potentially insulting hi-jacking of one of your firsts threads. If you are having a hard time finding dive buddies and you are showing up at OC dive club dives and getting turned away, don't take it personally, it's typical. Some OC dive clubs have a very negative impression of rebreathers. Find other rebreather divers to dive with... not always an easy task, there are not a lot of us out there.

maybe the best thing to do is just acknowledge that you got into something with a lot of enthusiasm and eagerness and that makes some people warry of you... time will pass, your experience will build and people drop their trips. It may be an uphill battle for now. My guess is that there are people who have hundreds of hours of OC experience who have no business getting into rebreathers, who's to say making the switch early on isn't doable... it's such an individual thing. On the other hand honestly consider if there is some truth to people's concerns then simply get more training if you think you need it, keep your first 100 hours on your unit well within your limits.... and don't forget to have fun! Whatever you do, don't take anything you read on the internet personally!

g

ps, and keep reminding people that LADY stands for something personal, this testosterone flush crowd will need a little explanation to get past the potential confusion... or changing your handle to something more universally palatable might break the ice a little faster.

Last edited by Gill Envy; 3rd May 2007 at 23:05.

Gill Envy

RBW Member diveladydive is on a distinguished road diveladydive is on a distinguished road diveladydive's Avatar

Clive, try the IANTD website, IANTD IAND rebreathers Scuba Dive Training Agency Nitrox EANx Trimix Oxygen Rebreather Cave Wreck IANDT IAND decompression, scuba diver

for a list of RB instructors in Ireland. They may not be in your exact locale, but chances are they can put you in touch with RB divers/operators who are OK with RBs in your area.

At the very least, visit sunny south Florida- we have a lot of RB divers, many on megs, many on other systems.

Never give up!
    Last edited by diveladydive; 3rd May 2007 at 23:36.

RBW Member das will become famous soon enough das will become famous soon enough das will become famous soon enough das will become famous soon enough das's Avatar

There are 81 members on Rebreatherworld from Ireland. Try contacting a few of them for recomendations.

RBW Member jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c's Avatar
    rEvo

Megalodon

Hey Clive
    I take it this is a local dive club, not Bsac? I have some Bsac rb contacts who might be able to give u some advice.

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

Are you kidding??!!!
    I could understand just if you're trying tp cry on the RBW shoulders, otherwise there's plenty of RB divers up there.

However it isn't a good reason to givin'up: I'm almost the only one RB diver in this side of Switzerland, I dive many time solo or with OC divers. What's wrong?! They will soon change idea... However it's not my problem anymore!:p

Best,

Nad

RBW Member Evil Dolphin is an unknown quantity at this point Evil Dolphin's Avatar

Been there done that. I've had more that one group treat me as some kind of an outcast. STUFF THEM.

Just post on this site, I'm sure there are other CCR divers out there. Or, you could move to Seattle. I'm trying to find a dive buddy for this weekend.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast