+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which Rebreather?

RBW Member ScubaAl is on a distinguished road ScubaAl is on a distinguished road ScubaAl's Avatar
    Inspiration, rEvo micro

Which Rebreather?

Hello CCR divers,

About a month ago I did a pool session/intro to rebreathers with Ron Benson. Got to try a KISS classic and Inspiration. With the price of a rebreather being what they are, I'm thinking along the lines of something used.
    So how did people go about making the decision as to which rebreather to buy? I can see the advatanges to the simplicity of the KISS then the next minute I'm thinking ECCR is the way to go. Any check list around that a person could us in helping make the choice? I will be using it mostly diving Lake Superior with depths to 300ft. (will the KISS do this). Along with some warm water trips in winter.
    Any help would be much appreciated, I'm guessing this has been asked more then once.
    Al

Re: Which Rebreather?

Welcome to RBW. The library has reviews of many (most?) RBs on the market. You could get a good list of questions by reading up on each unit.

Then, the RB-specific forums have a lot of users diving those specific units. That's a great place to post your detailed questions. (Also, the search feature will reveal a lot of info already posted).

Don't know what your budget is like. The Megalodon, Ouroborus, and Inspiration are units that will take you to 300fsw. You could start there. If you're looking at mCCR take a look at a newcomer - the rEvo. There's a lot of stuff on others also.

Good luck!

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaAl  View Original Post
    Hello CCR divers,

About a month ago I did a pool session/intro to rebreathers with Ron Benson. Got to try a KISS classic and Inspiration. With the price of a rebreather being what they are, I'm thinking along the lines of something used.
    So how did people go about making the decision as to which rebreather to buy? I can see the advatanges to the simplicity of the KISS then the next minute I'm thinking ECCR is the way to go. Any check list around that a person could us in helping make the choice? I will be using it mostly diving Lake Superior with depths to 300ft. (will the KISS do this). Along with some warm water trips in winter.
    Any help would be much appreciated, I'm guessing this has been asked more then once.
    Al

ECCR's have more to fail / break. This can be very frustrating and cost dives

Back box type units are generaly more dificult to travel with because of dedicated tanks and their shear size and weight.

KISS MCCR is a very good way to learn about CCR. The simplicity of the unit and the low cost of spares for everything make it very reliable and easy to run. The KISS has a down side in slightly higher work of breathing and limited capabuility for deeling with flooding. It also has no deco software built in.

ECCR's when they work, are easier to dive. That ease can breed complacancy but it can also cover your arse when your distracted doing something else.

MCCRs can do 300ft but its near the max for the KISS without modifications.

ATB

Mark Chase

Head Dishwasher
    Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey's Avatar
    Meg-Pathfinder-Evo +

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaAl  View Original Post
    Hello CCR divers,

Al

Silent Diving Systems LLC...is the US distributor of the Inspiration and the Evolution......

They have factory reconditioned units for sale... and they are around 50% the cost of a new unit....

However... I sugest you look at a COPIS MEG..... you can get new for arround 6K... and it gives you one hell of a base platform to upgrade to full ECCR....

RBW Member tobinalt will become famous soon enough tobinalt will become famous soon enough tobinalt will become famous soon enough tobinalt's Avatar
    HH Meg, Inspiration, Mini-Meg

If your goal is to dive to 300' the eccr are much easier to work with at these depths and I like how they breath relative to a scr.

The Meg, Inpsiration/Evolution and Oroborus are all well within their depth range at 300'. I currently own both a Meg and an Inspiration and have lots of dives in this depth range with both of them.

There are more instructors available for the Inspiration and it is also probably a little easier to find a used or refurbished one due to the numbers in circulation. Where most Meg owners have already purchased another rebreather and are less likely to part with it. Personally I love them both, but both have been retrofitted with the HammerHead electronics.

RBW Member quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean's Avatar
    Meg

I faced the same decision and went the route of the mCCR COPIS Meg (doing my training in a week and a half), which you can later updrade to the eCCR version (Apecs head) later down the road without having to buy a completely new rebreather. Pretty economical for being able to learn how to operate both mCCR and eCCRs.
    Last edited by quickean; 3rd May 2007 at 03:05.

Luke I am your father Deepdiver is an unknown quantity at this point Deepdiver's Avatar

Al,

You will need to look at what sort of diving that you are doing now and where do you want to take it in the future.

If cost is a big issue then stay with CC diving.

But if you have the money for a RB then check them all out, which it seams you have done!!

Then all you need to ask yourself, is "Do I want a RB to do it all for me, or do I like to be in control of it?" (You should be in control of it no matter what)

There are many RB's out there that will fit your needs.

I have gone with a Classic Inspo with HH electronics.

But it's all down to you....

Phil Siswick, Tango PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

APD Inspiration, Evolution

Hi,

Good luck in your choice, but enjoy the process too. Once you've chosen, you're sort of stuck with what you've got (although some brave/rich folks seem happy to change often)!

Quite apart from the pros and cons of a particular unit or control method (eCCR/mCCR), you should also think about support. That's particularly true for eCCR, where you have that pesky head to think about, cosset and curse. Sending parts back for repair or service, or getting parts to you, can be a real hassle and also result in lost dives. If you have to send things over national boundaries, you can end up with unexpected costs from customs, as well as delays.

On that front, you've got a good choice, based on where you are. For me, it came down to a choice between the Meg and the Vision. At least 50% of the reason I have a Vision is because they are built, and therefore supported, here in the UK. Another decider was that there are a lot of Vision divers in the UK, so there are plenty of people to dive with and learn from.

Have fun!

RBW Member Eoin is an unknown quantity at this point Eoin's Avatar

I decided to go with the Classic Inspiration (second hand) and did the MOD1 about a week ago with Gary Fox in Cornwall. Great Instructor! We even got a tour of the factory. :D
    I'm not going to make any mods until I have a good few hours up though.

No Viz is BAD Viz almity1 has a spectacular aura about almity1 has a spectacular aura about almity1 has a spectacular aura about almity1 has a spectacular aura about almity1 has a spectacular aura about almity1's Avatar

I was much in the same position as you 6 months ago.

Here is the story.

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=7644

Now I have ordered the Meg (eCCR) with training in mid-June.

Good Luck with it and remember to have fun.

Enjoy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast