+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Diving South Africa

RBW Member jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c's Avatar
    rEvo

Megalodon

Diving South Africa

I want to book a holiday for the end of this year Sept-November time and Im considering heading to South Africa for about a week. I have been thinking about planning a diving tour for next year from the border with Mozambique round to Cape Town, so I might go and check out some of it this year.
    Anyone have any recommendations on where to go? Any rebreather friendly dive operations? Is autumn a good time to go, or would it be better to wait until next year?
    TIA

Jo

New Member mikktaho is an unknown quantity at this point mikktaho's Avatar

Re: Diving South Africa

We where in sodwana bay last year september. Visibility was quit nice, but that was it. There wasn't of bigger animal. We saw whale shark and humpback whale.

They say that best time to see big animals is just after sardine run. They come to the cost eat those tiny creatures. It take places in between may and july. I think we where a bit late for that.

All together. Great diving. Long trip was the only neg thing about that trip. Definately gona do new trip somewhere future.

We where diving with OC-stuff. So no idea about rb diving. I can try to find out South African dive magazine Divestyle. I bought few issues.

They have some listings about shops offering different type of service. Not sure if they are available in their website.

Divestyle - Home

New Member stuobrien is an unknown quantity at this point stuobrien's Avatar

I was in Cape Town last November/December. Visability was good, 25-50 feet. You've got two options from Cape Town, Atlantic Ocean or Indian Ocean, both have their strong points. Blue Flash was the outfit I used. This guy was very friendly and is very active in the local ecology/diving scene. He could probably guide you for Cape Town.

Saw Northern Right Whale, seals swimming with you and good wreck diving.

www.rebreather.com.br zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave's Avatar
    O2ptima / Liberty / Dolphin

Been to the border of SA / Mozambique some years ago, I think it was in February. Saw a lot of bull sharks and black tips sharks and some tiger sharks too in Ponta d'Ouro. Also dove Sodwanna, very good reef and Umkomaas, awesome tiger shark diving, spent hours with them.
    I recommend Blue Wilderness expeditions and Mr. Mark Addison for his knowledge: page
    Just not sure if they are able to help with your RB needs.

Z.

RBW Member Johan Pretorius is a jewel in the rough Johan Pretorius is a jewel in the rough Johan Pretorius is a jewel in the rough Johan Pretorius is a jewel in the rough Johan Pretorius is a jewel in the rough Johan Pretorius is a jewel in the rough Johan Pretorius is a jewel in the rough Johan Pretorius's Avatar
    Inspiration Classic

IDA-72, IDA-71

Wink Re: Diving South Africa

Hi There

I stay in Cape Town, and can give the following advise:

Contact montyg@xsinet.co.za, he is the current chairman of the biggest diving club in Cape Town, and a member on the list, and he will be able to set you up with most of your needs i.e sorb etc....

The weather starts changing from September to November, with S.W and S.E winds picking up. This leads to varying diving conditions that is very difficult to predict. Usually this is the time that most of us do equipment maintenance and look to the other matters that keep the non diving partners happy.

The best time for diving in Cape Town is (in my opinion) the winter months (May to August), when we have strong North Westerly winds that clear up False Bay. (The place is not called the "Cape of Storms" for nothing)
    This past weekend we had 17 - 20m (56 - 66 ft) Viz and about 19'C water - wonderfull diving conditions.
    However, the NW winds bring rains and cold surface temperatures so the "other half" might not be so keen.

Summer we have strong S.E winds that clear up the Atlantic side, where 30m (100ft) viz but 8'C conditions are not uncommon.
    Deffinately drysuit conditions.

Blue Flash is a great operator and I have done many excellent dives with Grant. I can recommend him in all aspects.

There are many great wrecks to dive in the 30m (100ft) range as well as kelp forrests. The whales are in the bay at that time of the year and could give a diver an pleasant although (little bit dangerous) surprise when drifiting at the 6m deco.

For non dive days there are many sites within a days driving that can cater for any persons tastes...

I hope this helps...
    Regards

Johan

RBW Member jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c's Avatar
    rEvo

Megalodon

Thanks a lot guys for all the info :) , very helpful.
    I think I might wait until next year to go and maybe see if I can go for the sardine run.
    Just have to decide on somewhere to go later this year..

PS. don't have an "other half" so i can dive when I want, where I want :p

Nick Cunningham-Moorat scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick's Avatar
    rEvo eXpedition

Inspiration Vision, Hammerhead

Quote Originally Posted by jo_c  View Original Post
    I want to book a holiday for the end of this year Sept-November time and I’m considering heading to South Africa for about a week. I have been thinking about planning a diving tour for next year from the border with Mozambique round to Cape Town, so I might go and check out some of it this year.
    Anyone have any recommendations on where to go? Any rebreather friendly dive operations? Is autumn a good time to go, or would it be better to wait until next year?
    TIA

Jo
    Hi Jo,
    I too live in Cape Town and we dive (rebreathers) most weekends. As stated above the best diving in Cape Town is in the winter months (some great wrecks to visit), but this is far from the best time to visit the Cape (can be cold and wet). Other parts of Southern Africa are however lovely in winter and the dive possibilities are endless - from the pristine reefs of Mozambique to the unique coelacanth dives in Sodwana to the shark dives in Aliwal Shoal.

In terms of rebreather friendly in Cape Town I dive my breather with Dive Action and we have breathers on the boat basically every weekend. They are also able to supply sorb, He, O2 etc as required. If you speak nicely to Sarah I am sure you can get some tanks as well.

Mozambique is a challenge for O2, He and Sorb so some carefull planning is required. In Sodwana you can try Triton Dive Charters as they tend to be more tech supportive.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Nick
    Last edited by scunick; 3rd May 2007 at 09:00.

O2ptima Instructor SkinAndScuba is an unknown quantity at this point SkinAndScuba's Avatar
    O2ptima Fx - old to new

Go to a site Welcome to the Zerobubble - The South African - Technical Diving Forum and Website!, register yourself and then pop a mail to the list. The members go on regular dives and there are a few listings for gas and services etc. on the site.

Monty Guest montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg's Avatar
    APOCALYPSE #032

Ray, Dolphin, PVR-BASC, IDA-71

Hi Jo

I just got back from 2 weeks in Mozambique and it was absolutely awesome.

Tofo is the place to go and I'd recommend that you use John and Nikki at Tofo Scuba (::.. Tofo Scuba ..:: - Home) since they are the best and most professional IMHO. This was our third time in 5 years diving with them. They now run 4 boats and have a brand new dive centre with restaurant, hot showers, gear lock-up & drying facilities, etc. They supply 2 x DM's for every dive.

They get oxygen from SA by truck (expensive), but I think helium will be the big issue.

Having said that, it's REALLY remote, and no charters to (or sites that I know of) anything deepper than 40 meters or so. I have, on occasion, arranged for people to have sorb dropped off at the dive centres there with lifts begged from friendly, kind fellow diving people.

I wrote a few pages about travelling in Mozambique which I am more than happy to share, as soon as I have updated it - it gets easier and less daunting every time I go back.

Cape Town is awesome and regardless of the weather there's lots to do as long as you have a car and you can drive yourself. Reliable, safe public transport doesn't exsist here.

I got a standard write-up for people travelling to CT which covers tourism websites, accomodation, and things to do from having an hour to spare to half day to day trips which you can do with the city as your home base.

Let me know if you're interested.

rgds
    monty

rEvo

Megalodon

:) Thanks Monty - any info would be great. I'll PM you my email addy.

Seems like there's lots of fantastic places to go, I'm going to have a hard time deciding where to start first :)

+ Reply to Thread